Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

China Airlines considers using 6 options on A350-1000 and to fly MXP/PRG

Old Oct 22, 18, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA

After receiving the 14th and final Airbus A350-900XWB, China Airlines currently has 6 A350-900XWB options not used.

At the ceremony conducted for receiving the final A350-900XWB, President Ho of China Airlines has announced that they are looking into converting these options to A350-1000.

New destinations will be launched at Winter 19/20 for Europe, namely Milan (MXP) and Prague (PRG).

The bilateral between Taiwan and Italy is capped at 5 weekly, but China Airlines is looking at operating TPE-MXP at 3 weekly. China Airlines will need to apply for an additional frequency at Milan.

As for Prague, the initial operation will be capped at 2 weekly. However, the Czechs are willing to give China Airlines the rights to operate fifth freedom to Prague, so it remains to be seen if this flight will be operated as a one-stop or direct. For example, if rights are offered at both ends, China Airlines can operate flights such as TPE-BKK-PRG or TPE-PRG-ZRH.

With new destinations at MXP and PRG announced, even if A350-1000 does not fall as planned, the 6 options have to be used for these additional flights. Therefore, it's safe to conclude that some of the options will be utilized (A350-900XWB or 1000 or even other Airbus planes). If 6 additional rights were to be utilized, we are looking at 21 weekly flights to North America or Europe. However, I find it difficult to operate such a small amount of aircraft, maybe they should follow up with 4-6 more orders.

If A350-1000 is to be purchased, then I expect some 77W destinations such as JFK will be substituted with 351.
Old Oct 22, 18, 9:41 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
The other news was the airline reported that all their European routes last year were profitable. Seems this is the right sized plane for CI for routes into Europe.Also I suppose the market is also gradually growing. Agreed they most likely will order another 10-12 planes as that would make sense and maybe the plans have changed and they will keep the B777s for another 12-14 years.
Old Oct 22, 18, 3:00 pm

I really hope they get some A35Js and start using those as opposed to the 77Ws. When they were running the A359s to SFO, it was seriously a much nicer plane to be on IMO.
vincewy and tris06 like this.
Old Oct 23, 18, 5:45 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Apparently 2/7 weekly to Italy air rights is currently held by BR(consolation prize by the CAA when they burned them of the rights they negotiated). The Italy bilateral is 7/week, of which 5 are allocated to CI's FCO flight.

Last edited by hayzel7773; Oct 23, 18 at 6:12 am
Old Oct 23, 18, 6:14 am
Accor Contributor Badge

As far as I know when such air rights are not used they are available to the other carrier to use. So unless BR plans to use it within the next 12 months I think it will be likely CAA will redistribute them to who ever will use it. We have already seen this to be the case with CDG about 3-4 years ago when BR gave up the route for a short time. I think if CI has announced MXP starting in 2019 then they are very confident they will have the air rights.
Old Oct 24, 18, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hayzel7773 View Post
Apparently 2/7 weekly to Italy air rights is currently held by BR(consolation prize by the CAA when they burned them of the rights they negotiated). The Italy bilateral is 7/week, of which 5 are allocated to CI's FCO flight.
If that's the case, BR can hold it for maximum of 6 month when CI applies for the rights (I remember the rules were changed when BR was holding the CDG rights with cargo). In short, BR will have to fly to somewhere in Italy within 6 months of CI's application or forgone the rights.

Technically leaving BR with just 1 frequency simply means no routes will be opened, so CI is not in a hurry to use up all the rights. However, with many 787s coming in, CI should probably start Milan early and apply for the rights to force BR to start a flight in Italy or give up.
Old May 8, 19, 2:22 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Platinum
Now that CI has announced purchasing A321neo, does anyone know what’s happening with the 6 A350 Options? Also does CI have any plans to retire their ageing A330s?

Thanks,
L
Old May 8, 19, 10:20 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Well the A320/737 decision was only delayed by 4years. And that decision was sped up by recent developments making the chioce simple. With CI's poor historical reputation for planes crashing the airline wants to stay clear of even the slightest increased risk (even if it is not confirmed yet) so the A320 Neo series was a simple chioce.

I wouldn't expect a decision on the A330s replacement for atleast another year. Loved to be surprised though. A350s options ...no idea.
Old May 9, 19, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lexolot View Post
Now that CI has announced purchasing A321neo, does anyone know what’s happening with the 6 A350 Options? Also does CI have any plans to retire their ageing A330s?

Thanks,
L
The 6 options are gone, one can check on the website maintained by the airbus employees on A350-900/1000 productions.

Recent news indicated that CI sold 5 333 to a leaser and then leased back, so I guess they are keeping 333 for another duration...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: