Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Eastern Customer Service is a joke.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mama
We all know China Southern, China Eastern, and Air China are usually the cheapest long haul options. There is a reason for the cheap price. OP is a Delta elite, but choose to fly on China Eastern. He/She called their U.S. number, so I assume the flight is from U.S. to Asia. There are many other options than China Eastern, but most likely more expensive.
And the point of this point is?

Although I haven’t actually flown MU yet, I’ve booked my husband onto MU flights and will be travelling on MU with my family next April.
Thanks to the OP’s post, I have been forewarned that I may need to call Shanghai should I have an issue that requires resolution before we depart.

I refute the insinuation that it is foolish to expect much and that paying more (in the same cabin class) will result in a better experience.
Don’t particularly want to fly Air France, SAS or Lufthansa again, or LOT (Polish). I picked up an error dare with Iberia a couple of years ago, but I don’t like IB either (too many stone hearted “enchufados”). The OPs story reminded me of several times in the past where I needed to call Iberia. Didn’t matter in the slightest that I speak Spanish, the advantage being that I was culturally in a position to fully appreciate the nuances of insult served with the spectacular indifference.
So yes, there are many other options than China Eastern and Air China and they are mostly more expensive. Yet, except TK, there aren’t any European based airlines I would actively choose over a Chinese or East Asian company.
Alitalia is usually the cheapest option to fly between Europe and Japan. I actively untick AZ in search options, not even remotely interested in flying with them.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:00 am
Suspended

I totally agree that very very few European airlines perform better than China based airlines by any significant margin.
However, there are MANY other Asia based airlines that perform way better than both European and China based airlines, and SURELY cost more. So, unless you are traveling only to China, and must seek the cheapest ticket....

Last edited by Mama; Oct 14, 2018 at 10:13 am
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I travel to Japan not China and look for the most cost effective ticket. It also helps that MU and CA both offer a 46Kg hold luggage allowance in Economy.
Occasionally, the most cost effective way has been with ANA or JAL.
ANA can be remarkably inflexible if you have an unusual request; flew in (paid) business and had strong painkillers that had to be kept cool, the Japanese FAs were awful, very robotic and stern. Thankfully there was a lovely European FA serving economy who saw my distress and he was able to think out of the box (very anti-ANA) and arranged for me to keep the medicine in some taped cups with ice. The experience never ruled out me ever flying with ANA again, but they’ll never be my first choice and I’ll never want to pay a premium to do so. JAL has been different, OZ too.

Since there is no point in paying more to transit through Singapore, Malaysia or Hong Kong I don’t.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Mama
We all know China Southern, China Eastern, and Air China are usually the cheapest long haul options. There is a reason for the cheap price. OP is a Delta elite, but choose to fly on China Eastern. He/She called their U.S. number, so I assume the flight is from U.S. to Asia. There are many other options than China Eastern, but most likely more expensive.
I have a paid J ticket - NY- Shanghai. Looking to see if I can upgrade to F from J using points (Delta). Am I just wasting my time?

With CX - I could call Asia Miles and get an answer if available and they would handle the upgrade to F from J after I transferred into AM (cost 60,000 AM).... was easy if available.

Want to see if I could accomplish same with China Eastern..... Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elg26
I have a paid J ticket - NY- Shanghai. Looking to see if I can upgrade to F from J using points (Delta). Am I just wasting my time?

With CX - I could call Asia Miles and get an answer if available and they would handle the upgrade to F from J after I transferred into AM (cost 60,000 AM).... was easy if available......
Just like CX has Asiamiles, MU has Sky Pearl Club. You can do the same upgrade using Sky Pearl Club miles. JFK-PVG-JFK should be 40,000 Sky Pearl Miles to upgrade.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by TerryK
Just like CX has Asiamiles, MU has Sky Pearl Club. You can do the same upgrade using Sky Pearl Club miles. JFK-PVG-JFK should be 40,000 Sky Pearl Miles to upgrade.
Thanks..... since im new to MU...... do you know how I can transfer to Sky Pearl Club miles? From Delta? From another?

The original source would be from my Amex MR....seeing if there is a way I can do this...

Thank you again for your insight.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
I travel to Japan not China and look for the most cost effective ticket. It also helps that MU and CA both offer a 46Kg hold luggage allowance in Economy.
Occasionally, the most cost effective way has been with ANA or JAL.
ANA can be remarkably inflexible if you have an unusual request; flew in (paid) business and had strong painkillers that had to be kept cool, the Japanese FAs were awful, very robotic and stern. Thankfully there was a lovely European FA serving economy who saw my distress and he was able to think out of the box (very anti-ANA) and arranged for me to keep the medicine in some taped cups with ice. The experience never ruled out me ever flying with ANA again, but they’ll never be my first choice and I’ll never want to pay a premium to do so. JAL has been different, OZ too.
You mean JL was more flexible than NH? I'd think they are similar, being both firmly rooted in Japanese culture.
But actually, in F I think they are quite flexible.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elg26
......... do you know how I can transfer to Sky Pearl Club miles? From Delta? From another?...
I don't know of any way to transfer into Sky Pearl Club. You need to earn them.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:44 pm

MU has 'Eastern Miles' - China Southern (CZ) has Sky Pearl Club. The upgrade from PVG to JFK is 123,000 km on CZ and 44,000 miles on MU (according to their website)
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bub001
MU has 'Eastern Miles' - China Southern (CZ) has Sky Pearl Club. The upgrade from PVG to JFK is 123,000 km on CZ and 44,000 miles on MU (according to their website)
Whoops! I got CZ and MU mixed up.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
You mean JL was more flexible than NH? I'd think they are similar, being both firmly rooted in Japanese culture.
But actually, in F I think they are quite flexible.
Hopefully you won't ever need hospital treatment in Japan that requires you to use temperature sensitive medication and so put that to the test.

There's inflexible corporate culture where the employees are willing to work with you at the edges, and there's inflexible corporate culture ,where the employees retreat to the inner core of that culture and work for you from there. Omotenashi has more than one flavour.
MrLapLap thinks that JAL and ANA have "switched" since the 90s. Back then JAL was the by-the-book giant and ANA the minnow advancing by remaining open to their customers' needs and desires. But ANA grew up and firmly shut the gate. JAL have had some hiccups and aren't quite so sure of themselves anymore. Those are mine and MrLapLap's impressions.
I've flown with ANA when I was very vulnerable, and got let down. I've flown with JAL when I was very vulnerable (my first trip alone after being bed bound for a year after back surgery in C&Y, and a bit later when pregnant with hyperemesis gravidarum) and I don't think I'll ever stop feeling grateful for the care and kindness shown on those trips.

And back to CA, who I've been flying with when I've been vulnerable in a different way; alone with a small and then not so small child. Like JAL, this is a company where the FAs are rooted in a corporate culture yet they have always been willing to work with me - and offered plenty of smiles for the child. Made flying with a kid (who's needs will always be unpredictable - mine smashed her mouth open whilst boarding once) much less intimidating. We love our flights, they are true adventures. Really looking forward to flying MU, just won't be calling their foreign offices for customer service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.