Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air Tahiti Nui - where is Passport Check departing TBIT - connection to PPT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:59 am
Original Poster

All,

I am wondering if i can skip the TBIT check-in Counter at LAX (coming from a delta connecting flight) and get my passport verified in the secured TBIT area at the gates because all I do is an online checkin?

Details:

- I have a trip booked from Detroir to Tahiti in 2 separate tickets
- 1st ticket / trip is from DTW to LAX - on Deta ticket
- 2nd ticket is a connection in LAX to PPT via Qantas Code Share flight / Ticket operated by Air Tahiti Nui - separate ticket
- I have carry on only - no checked luggage (swim trunks and flip flops)

my plan:
- online check-in on delta from DTW to LAX
- online check-in on air Tahiti Nui website from LAX you PPT
- arrival in delta terminal T2 or T3 in LAX
- take air side shuttle from T2/T3 to TBIT
- verify passport at TBIT at either, gate or Qantas business Lounge prior boarding to PPT

Will this work, or do I need to leave the secure area at LAX (leave terminal 2 or 3) upon arrival from Detroit and re-check-in to verify my passport at the regular TBIT checkin? Just trying to avoid the TBIT checkin mess.

Thanks,
Bart

Last edited by Barton81; Oct 4, 2018 at 9:55 am
Old Oct 6, 2018, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

All,

I am wondering if i can skip the TBIT check-in Counter at LAX (coming from a delta connecting flight) and get my passport verified in the secured TBIT area at the gates because all I do is an online checkin?

Details:

- 2nd ticket is a connection in LAX to PPT via Qantas Code Share flight / Ticket operated by Air Tahiti Nui - separate ticket

my plan:
- arrival in delta terminal 2 or 3 in LAX
- verify passport at TBIT at either gate or Qantas business Lounge

will this work, or do I need to leave the secure area at LAX (leave terminal 2 or 3) upon arrival from Detroit and re-check-in to verify my passport at the regular TBIT checkin? Just trying to avoid the TBIT checkin mess.

Thanks,
Bart
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Barton81
All,

Details:

my plan:

will this work, or do I need to leave the secure area at LAX (leave terminal 2 or 3) upon arrival from Detroit and re-check-in to verify my passport at the regular TBIT checkin? Just trying to avoid the TBIT checkin mess.

Thanks,
Bart
You should be able to do this at the gate (not the QF lounge). You will need a boarding pass or ticket/itinerary to get the airside bus between T2/T3 & TBIT.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Barton81
All,

Details:

my plan:

Thanks,
Bart
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
You should be able to do this at the gate (not the QF lounge). You will need a boarding pass or ticket/itinerary to get the airside bus between T2/T3 & TBIT.
It will work if you are able to OLCI, but this can be a lottery. Sometimes, you can't OLCI because they want to check your passport at check-in. The fact you are booked on a code-share is adding uncertainties to the equation. So just try and you'll see.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:42 am
Original Poster

I am able to manage my booking / reservation on air Tahiti nui’s website with the record locator number that I received from qantas. It is actually the same between both airlines. I was even able to select and confirm my seat when booked on qantas. Now am still able to even change my seats on the qantas website after tickets have been issued. This was never possible when booked flights to Tahiti via delta or AA in the past. I always had to call Tahiti Nui and they gave me a new record locator number and they had to do seat assignments.

This “rich” functionality on the qantas website gives me a bit more confidence that I should be able to print my boarding pass for the flight to Tahiti from home (36h) in advance. I don’t recall that I needed to show a boarding pass last year at the airside shuttle from T3 to TBIT but it is a year ago.

i will definitely bring all QF and ATN documentation with me.

Last edited by Barton81; Oct 7, 2018 at 4:47 am
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Quick update on this topic. I am right now at TBIT. I landed on Delta as expected in T3 and was able to take the shuttle bus airside to TBIT without a problem, without leaving security.

They did not even check any boarding documents or similar. Even though I booked the flight in Qantas, I was able to print my boarding passes online and checkin online on air Tahiti Nui’s website.

Will head later to the gate (approx. 1h prior boarding) and see if they need to verify my passport since I did everything online and have only carry-on to Tahiti.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:10 am
Original Poster

To finish my update:

1. Went to the Air Tahiti Nui gate that opened roughly one hour prior departure at TBIT.

2. Presented my printed boarding pass and showed my passport for verification.

3. They verified and provided me a final boarding pass at the gate.
Easy in the end - even with a code share flight on qantas to Tahiti.
Goldorak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.