Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with infant on Hong Kong Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:33 am
Original Poster

i leave on the 13th. so just miss out on that. do you have a link to the 9/16 rumor?

i got a relative to fly with us to hkg. from there baby is allowed on a330. i booked a ticket for relative and it was a little over a 100 bucks for lap seat for an infant on expedia, so i added it. still hoping they just allow us all into business...

ill post an update from the plane. and if anyone has any info please do share!!!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:25 am

Here's the post about the 9/16 upgrade

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30127182-post544.html

Good luck on your flight!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

interesting... that sounds promising.

So let me preface this complaint with mentioning how lucky i feel to have these tickets, but after booking an economy ticket for my relative and a 2nd ticket for my son, i used the HK airlines messaging feature to select seats with a bassinet. the agent informed me bassinets are only available for premium economy. is this common?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by joaozinho
interesting... that sounds promising.

So let me preface this complaint with mentioning how lucky i feel to have these tickets, but after booking an economy ticket for my relative and a 2nd ticket for my son, i used the HK airlines messaging feature to select seats with a bassinet. the agent informed me bassinets are only available for premium economy. is this common?
According to SeatGuru bassinet seats are available on the A350 in economy (as well as Economy Comfort).

And they are not marked but you can see the bassinet on the drawings of the A350 seatmap on the HX site:
https://www.hongkongairlines.com/en_...utus/ourfleet#

This also shows a bassinet position in economy. Although there are many more in Economy Comfort there are a couple in Economy. It looks like 2 bassinets in front of 51D/E/G.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Aug 31, 2018 at 3:12 pm
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

@skimthetrees called/chatted with hk again. even though it is listed as regular economy with seatguru they insist row 51 is premium economy
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

@skimthetrees... how the plot thickens. called again, and this time not only did i get a bassinett, but now in premium econonomy. however they are unable to offer email confirmation... so im not counting on it
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:07 am
Suspended

Found the answer
. Deleted.

Last edited by Mama; Sep 8, 2018 at 3:36 am
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by joaozinho

could be. I think it’s more likely the fact that people pay 7k for that flight and they don’t want a crying baby �� ��
It's unlikely to be that. Probably more a safety/certification issue - in that they may not have had their seats certified for carrying an infant and/or child restraint. This can take time... Qantas for example has its biz class seats on the A330 certified for take off and landing in the semi-reclined position, but the virtually the same seats on its 787s have not yet been certified for the same. So it wouldn't surprise me. No airline wants to miss out on revenue by blocking one or two adults (parents) paying biz class fares and going to the competition just because they have an infant, and their market doesn't seem to be one in which they have sufficient demand of passengers wanting an infant-free cabin.

Hope you get a solution!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:00 pm

So how did this play out?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Total cluster f***.
Check in took 3 hours. Nice staff but could not figure out what to do. Ended up having to buy a business class ticket from hkg to bkk for infant. (This was 3rd ticket I purchased for him!!
Infant was not allowed in a350 business class cabin even with series of documentation from HK airlines saying it was ok (to be fair there were other people at HK airlines who said it wasn’t ok).
From lax to hkg staff was not thrilled with us switching back and forth.
They did give whole row with bassinet which was nice.

It was all very stressful and complicated.

Wouldn’t recommend but I do want to reiterate that there were a lot of really nice people who worked at HK Airlines and want to help.

Tran at San Fran ticket office was invaluable. At one point looked like we might not have gotten on plane without her. Ticketing agents had to call her, and she was on phone with Hong Kong office and others hustling to help out. PM me if you need her number.

Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:09 am

Why did you have to buy a new ticket for HKG to BKK?

Were you on the updated A35a by any chance?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

I was not on the newly updated a350. I am not totally sure why, but it appears that they had to downgrade my infant son’s business class ticket for the Hong Kong portion and they were unable to keep the business class portion for his second flight.
The whole thing was quite an ordeal...
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:34 pm

Ended up canceling my flights. After a lot of back and forth with HX and long calls with Expedia, I didn't have any other options. I tried to get them to push the travel date out 3 months so that my "infant" would be 2 years old but they wouldn't do it. Expedia gave me a refund and told me to rebook directly with the airline.

Super bummed about this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

oh man. im so sorry. definitely a bummer.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Spoke with an agent yesterday about possible regulatory changes allowing infants in a350.
FWIW she said that the question came up on a company call and management said they have no intention of changing policy/seeking regulatory permission.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.