Wiki Posts
Search

Air Asia - using Sports luggage for excess

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Air Asia - using Sports luggage for excess

Hi all,

I'm currently in Kota Kinabalu, and trying to find a way of getting a bunch of luggage from here to Cairns, Australia (3 people traveling with lots of personal and scientific gear). One option is taking Air Asia to Sydney, and finding a way to Cairns from there. I can buy 40kg of checked baggage per person. In addition, I can buy 40kg of sports baggage per person. The question is, how likely are they to let me check a bunch of non-sports-gear under the sports baggage allowance? I understand they're not supposed to (de jure), but i'm wondering how this works in actual fact (de facto).

I've been in jams on Air Asia before with luggage, on a domestic flight, and they've been quite accommodating in trying to use sports luggage allowances and otherwise to help from from paying an absolute fortune. It might help that I have my wife with me and 3 year old daughter climbing all over me while checking in.

It's a risk, but if I could get a sense of just how risky it may be and therefore make it a calculated risk, then I could perhaps make a decision on what to do... any thoughts greatly appreciated...

thanks,
allie
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
I guess you have read this...

https://www.airasia.com/my/en/baggag...equipment.page

They seem to have quite a well defined list of what is or is not sports luggage.

Sports equipment

The following sporting equipment can be checked in, subject to a sports equipment fee, which can be either pre-booked at a discounted rate online or at a standard rate at the airport check-in counters. Remember, each checked in item must not weigh more than 32kg.

+ Golf

+ Surfboards

+ Diving

+ Bicycle

+ Ski/Snowboard

+ Cricket

Any sports equipment that are not mentioned above will be accepted as part of your checked baggage.

However, we do not accept carriage of the following sports equipment:
  • Hang gliders
  • Sails
  • Kayaks, canoes and oars
  • Pole vaults
  • Javelins
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, yes, I understand that there are well-defined rules. The question was, how closely are they usually enforced? Anyway, I made the trip and found a way to not use the sports luggage quota.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.