Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Pilots suspected of smoking in cockpit in Air China flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-25000-feet-10

Flight CA106 dropped 25,000 feet in 10 minutes on Tuesday night, flight data showed, triggering the release of oxygen masks from the cabin ceiling. The aircraft did not divert and continued on its journey, landing safely in the northern port city of Dalian in China's Liaoning province.

At least two passengers posted photos and videos on social media showing those on board wearing masks but looking calm.

One, writing on Chinese microblogging platform Weibo, said: “The announcement from the cockpit said the ability to increase oxygen in the cabin malfunctioned so the plane lost pressure.”

The Communist Party's media mouthpiece, the People's Daily, said the crew were suspected to have been smoking in the cockpit.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What a shocker.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was under the impression that this was allowed by the CAAC. Indeed, if smoking by pilots is not allowed I would have to say that they are doing an incredibly poor job of policing this rule. If only they would police it like they have the FA's come by and tell you to put your seat straight upright as we're "landing very soon" 45 mins out from touchdown.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I don't see why the OP is seemingly trying to link smoking with the drop experienced by the aircraft.

Smoking in the cockpit is relatively common outside of Europe/North America.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I don't see why the OP is seemingly trying to link smoking with the drop experienced by the aircraft.

State media says the pilots wanted to smoke so they were going to shut down the recirc fans but ended up shutting off both packs(close to each other on the overhead), which led to the lack of pressurization in the cabin. When they realized there mistake, it was too late! Masks had come down and they had initiated their emergency descent. Also, reports on Weibo are that during the descent, they ended up getting a RA/broke minimum separation rules with another plane that caused even more issues.

I have never heard of pilots smoking outside of China. It is banned in most countries.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
I have never heard of pilots smoking outside of China. It is banned in most countries.
+1
I have never experienced this in extensive travels throughout Asia and latin america.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
+1
I have never experienced this in extensive travels throughout Asia and latin america.
MS: Can pilots smoke on a commercial flight?
TG: Smoking on TG - appalling and disgusting - the problem starts again
GA: Best Flight Experiences: Invited in the Cockpit to smoke a cigarette
TU: Pilot/Cabin crew smoking on Tunisair Flight
KU: Kuwait Airways & Inflight Smoking

The Points Guy: You Can’t Smoke on Planes—But Pilots (Sometimes) Can
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:57 am

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...and-made-error

Just an update

And yes it is very common for the Cockpit Crew to smoke in the PRC.. I fly an average of 20 domestic flights in China with various airlines a year (in the first 2 rows of the cabin) and more often than not I can smell they are smoking upfront.

Did happen 2 times as well on long haul with TG in F

As per an Air China Captain (in 2016) it is the Captains decision weather the Cockpit Crew is allowed to smoke or not

Happy flying !
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by irishguy28

Did you not read the article?? The plane dropped because the pilots were trying to hide the smell by switching off the air circulation, but instead accidentally switched off the AC which caused oxygen to drop which led to altitude warning and plane to descend.
kaka likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
lol there are over 105,000 flights everyday worldwide, and you point to five reports over the past ten years? That is not just statistically insignificant, but statistically completely, utterly, irrelevant.

Originally Posted by nightkhan
Did you not read the article?? The plane dropped because the pilots were trying to hide the smell by switching off the air circulation, but instead accidentally switched off the AC which caused oxygen to drop which led to altitude warning and plane to descend.
Let's not allow the facts to get in the way here
Bub001 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Saw comments on this incident elsewhere.

Apparently flouting of non-smoking laws is widespread in China, at hotels, restaurants, etc.

[Moderator edit]
kaka likes this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 14, 2018 at 9:12 am Reason: Even if an attempt at humor, violates FT Rule 12.2.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Saw comments on this incident elsewhere.

Apparently flouting of non-smoking laws is widespread in China, at hotels, restaurants, etc.

[moderator edit]
There is no "law" that prohibits pilots from smoking.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 14, 2018 at 9:12 am Reason: Conforming moderator edit to original quote.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by nightkhan
Does the descent happen automatically? Or do the pilots initiate it?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Does the descent happen automatically? Or do the pilots initiate it?
The captain needs to endorse it for each flight.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by moondog
The captain needs to endorse it for each flight.
The descent?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.