Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Pilots suspected of smoking in cockpit in Air China flight

Pilots suspected of smoking in cockpit in Air China flight

Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good news for lovers of smoke smelling cabins! The pilots on my FM flight today from bkk to pvg were not deterred by the punishment meted out to their CA colleagues and bravely smoked from wheels up to landing.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:26 am

Regarding the HKG-DLC incident on CA, this article notes passengers saying oxygen didn't flow out of the masks and they couldn't 'taste' oxygen coming through. But I thought the bag doesn't have to inflate in order for oxygen to flow?

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...00-feet-reveal
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hkskyline
Regarding the HKG-DLC incident on CA, this article notes passengers saying oxygen didn't flow out of the masks and they couldn't 'taste' oxygen coming through. But I thought the bag doesn't have to inflate in order for oxygen to flow?

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...00-feet-reveal
The fact that they remained conscious throughout the descent doesn't necessarily prove that the masks worked, but does weaken their case. What does oxygen taste like?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: OZ Diamond
Whether the oxygen flowed or not, the plane should have either stayed below 10,000 ft or, much better, landed. The fact that the pilots chose to return to cruise altitude after deploying oxygen masks was a potentially lethal safety breach by the pilots. If after returning to cruise altitude there had been a genuine depressurisation event, the emergency oxygen supply for passengers would have already been exhausted after the first deployment, almost certainly resulting in all passengers dying within seconds. Presumably the pilots continued to DLC to try to cover their own a*ses. Good to see the CAAC take strong action against them and CA.

To CA's credit, they did promise to/actually fire the pilots before the CAAC ruling, but that was never going to be enough. Hopefully this CAAC ruling is a real wake up call not only to CA but other mainland airlines to fix their issues with pilots smoking in the cockpit.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
... I have never heard of pilots smoking outside of China. It is banned in most countries.
Once you get out of the developed world, the definition of "banned" is very blury and often has little to do with laws as written.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:28 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Once you get out of the developed world, the definition of "banned" is very blury and often has little to do with laws as written.
its china, what do you expect? Laws followed by everyone?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.