Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Pilots suspected of smoking in cockpit in Air China flight

Pilots suspected of smoking in cockpit in Air China flight

Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
The descent?
The relation?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
lol there are over 105,000 flights everyday worldwide, and you point to five reports over the past ten years? That is not just statistically insignificant, but statistically completely, utterly, irrelevant.

Let's not allow the facts to get in the way here
Let's put it this way - every MS flight I've ever taken, I've smelt tobacco smoke from the cockpit!

Something as common and mundane as smoking doesn't get reported on here - only when a credulous naif ventures abroad.

Unless - as you seem to suggest - that there just happened to be a Flyertalker on board the only 5 flights in the past 10 years in which pilots smoked. [There are far more than the 5 I posted, by the way!]

Let's not forget - it's barely 20 years since smoking was banned on US flights.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:36 am

lol there are over 105,000 flights everyday worldwide, and you point to five reports over the past ten years? That is not just statistically insignificant, but statistically completely, utterly, irrelevant.

Let's not allow the facts to get in the way here
Of course you’re right...but there’s no point getting sucked in to the anti-smoking fundamentalist vortex.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:48 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I wouldn't much call this a "drop". It was a controlled descent of 2000-2500 fpm, which would feel like a normal descent in many cases. It's definitely not an uncommon descent. 4000 fpm is within parameters. It's unfortunate some media is saying this plane "plunged", "plummeted" and other such things that appear to be untrue:
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by l'etoile
I wouldn't much call this a "drop". It was a controlled descent of 2000-2500 fpm, which would feel like a normal descent in many cases. It's definitely not an uncommon descent. 4000 fpm is within parameters. It's unfortunate some media is saying this plane "plunged", "plummeted" and other such things that appear to be untrue:
Though they did drop the oxygen masks, so not a normal descent in that sense.
z4017 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Just spotted this over on the Economist

Originally Posted by The Economist
GULLIVER is not the type of person to kick up a fuss on his travels, least of all when lucky enough to be at the front of the plane. But his patience was pushed to the limit a couple of years ago, when his EgyptAir flight from Cairo to London was blighted by the near-constant stench of cigarette smoke wafting in from the cockpit. Shackled by British meekness and an unwillingness to challenge a flight crew, your asthmatic correspondent suffered the coughs and tried instead to focus on work. Conversations with Egyptian friends later revealed that on-board cigarette smoke is hardly a rarity when flying with the North African flag-carrier.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
The punishment just got announced.

The pilot and co-pilot each got life time ban from flying. Both licenses were immediately revoked. The 3rd pilot (monitoring) got suspended for 24 months. Flight dispatch also was suspended for 24 months.

CA also have been penalized by reducing all 737 schedule by 10% or 5400 hours per month. CA also has been put on probation for 3 months and fined $50000 RMB.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: LH, Qatar, Emirates, Alitalia... IHG Platinum
China sure knows how to punish people...
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This may be a "kill the chicken to scare the monkey" situation. Perhaps they were looking at a way to stop smoking in the cockpit of all CAAC flights and now they've got their chance. I bet more than a few smoking pilots will be thinking twice about lighting up now in China. I've got 3 long haul flights on CAAC airlines coming up in the next week and a half. I'll see if any smoking is happening on these flights.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:50 am

Wasnt aware of this smoking problem. I thought we fixed it long time ago, including pilots. Is this customary to China or us European folks live in a smoke free bubble?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Copilot Vaping e-Cigarette Causes Plane to Plummet

Absolutely ridiculous reason for such an emergency drop in altitude.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/12/asia/...g-pilots-intl/
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by krispykrme
The punishment just got announced.

The pilot and co-pilot each got life time ban from flying. Both licenses were immediately revoked. The 3rd pilot (monitoring) got suspended for 24 months. Flight dispatch also was suspended for 24 months.

CA also have been penalized by reducing all 737 schedule by 10% or 5400 hours per month. CA also has been put on probation for 3 months and fined $50000 RMB.
It seems to be very risky for any Chinese pilots to smoke..... losing the license for life.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ausriver
It seems to be very risky for any Chinese pilots to smoke..... losing the license for life.
Don't you think the uncontrolled descent played a role in the penalty?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by moondog
I haven't seen reports of an "uncontrolled" descent. The flight track shows approx 15,000 feet in 5 minutes. CA106 July 10

Last edited by Kacee; Jul 19, 2018 at 12:15 am
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I m not a betting man, but if i were, i'd put some money on the fact that IT DID PLAYED A ROLE!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.