Avoid Flying With Hainan Airlines

Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Avoid Flying With Hainan Airlines

I am a Director of two companies live in Melbourne, Australia.

I am manufacture laser equipment for doctors and cosmetic clinics throughout Australia at a factory in Weifang, China and always fly business class to China with other airlines, for many years, which is usually a very pleasant experience.
On May 14, 2017 I booked a flight with Hainan Airlines from Melbourne to Qingdao.

As a nervous flyer, I usually have a few drinks to relax just after takeoff then take two Valium tablets and go to sleep for a few hours.
I had NO alcohol prior to this as had just driven two hours from my home to the airport for the morning, business class flight.

I asked the air-hostess for a couple of drinks and consumed one small glass of Vodka and one glass of wine shortly after takeoff as a nervous flyer.

Without any reason I was then refused a drink by the air hostess until lunch time. I asked why and the air hostess just walked off. Remember, I am in supposed to be in business class.

Then at lunch time two hours later, the same thing and the air hostess said I can have a drink at dinner time some 6 hours later! Great thanks!

I had a witness, Ms Linda seated directly on the left side of the plane, who appeared was of Chinese descent and said she was from Adelaide. Ms Linda gave me her mobile number as witnessed the whole event.
She said it was very poor of the airline and could not believe my treatment, as I was not at all drunk or even over the legal limit even if driving a vehicle as would be impossible.

Some nine hours after not being served any alcohol at dinner time and after the initial three drinks an hour after take-off as previously stated, the air-hostess still said no alcohol and then another hostess just laughed and said we have run out of alcohol! They did not even offer me a meal!
This indeed seemed to be of some amusement for the cabin crew treating me this way and humiliating to say the least.
I then called for actual the co-pilot of the plane who was a very nice fellow called Mr Flavio Olivari who said I should get a refund as my treatment very poor and to mention his name.
He said he could not make them serve me a drink but was very poor from the cabin crew. He can verify this is true as gave me his full name and spelling.
Then on my return business class flight home I brought my own small bottle of wine to drink as obviously even in business class Hainan Airlines does not allow you to drink more than one glass of alcohol.

However my seat would not recline and there was no sound on the movie tablets so you could not watch a movie.
The air hostess then said sorry, there was a problem with the electronics on the plane and could not also do anything about my seat reclining either so no movie and no seat reclining.
After no response to several emails and letters, I engaged law firm, 'Collins Biggers & Paisley Lawyers’ in Melbourne to write to Beijing Capital Airlines who own Hainan Airlines and they received a response by the same email address; [email protected] saying;

"Good afternoon. Via understanding the situation, cabin crews in your flight offered you service strictly according to process. Welcome you choosing our flight again.

Best Regards.

Beijing Capital Airlines"
This was a slap in the face and doesn't even make sense and don't even say a contact name.

The law firm said if I got judgment for a refund in the courts in Melbourne I would then have to go to court in China to recover that debt so would cost a fortune and not sure of my chances over there!
Do yourself a very big favour and NEVER fly with Hainan Airlines!

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Jun 12, 2018 at 6:53 am Reason: redacted e-mail address
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:54 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Since this is not about Asiana airlines I will move this to the correct forum. [/mod hat]
cscasi likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:53 am

Thai airline hostess scam

Did you take Valium on your Thai Airways flight too ?

Then on my return business class flight home I brought my own small bottle of wine to drink as obviously even in business class Hainan Airlines does not allow you to drink more than one glass of alcohol.
This part I find hard to believe, you bought wine in China ? And it came in a small bottle ?
JBauer likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:24 am

You feel entitled to a full refund because you were refused alcohol?
cscasi likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC
And the complainant can't get their airlines sorted out.

It would have been Beijing Capital Airlines that operated the flight between Melbourne and Qingdao, not Hainan Airlines. There was probably a HN code share onto JD as they are in the same group (and for accuracy Hainan owns Beijing Capital, not the other way round) but the operator of the aircraft was Beijing Capital, it was their staff that declined to serve alcohol, so why has Hainan Airlines been made the scapegoat here?

Anyway, although I can't be faffed to look up the JD conditions of carriage, but all airlines will have wording in their terms and conditions that covers their onboard service to be at their discretion. Any firm of lawyers writing letters to a company that is taking a sensible client instruction should be making a case against the terms of the service that was contracturally offered. However I don't see any evidence of this, probably because there is no case to answer.

Unfortunately I don't see the OP has a leg to stand on, irrespective of the fact that they might have been viewed to be drunk, tipsy, or stone cold sober. Onboard service is completely at the discretion of the crew.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by moorels
Some nine hours after not being served any alcohol at dinner time and after the initial three drinks an hour after take-off as previously stated
You might want to get your story straight.

Also, mixing Valium with alcohol or other drugs can lead to: 

• Confusion
  • Disorientation
  • Accidents
  • Sedation
  • Stumbling
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Addiction
  • Brain damage
  • Coma
  • Death
I'd advise against doing that in the future.
plunet, KLouis, LTN Phobia and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:53 am

How much did Collins Biggers & Paisley Lawyers’ charge you to draft a letter ? Did they advise you before writing the letter about what you can expect from the airlines ?

Also, does that mean you now have Capital airlines, Hainan Airlines and Thai airways on your list of airlines to never fly with ?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moorels
I am a Director of two companies live in Melbourne, Australia.

I am manufacture laser equipment for doctors and cosmetic clinics throughout Australia at a factory in Weifang, China and always fly business class to China with other airlines, for many years, which is usually a very pleasant experience.
On May 14, 2017 I booked a flight with Hainan Airlines from Melbourne to Qingdao.

As a nervous flyer, I usually have a few drinks to relax just after takeoff then take two Valium tablets and go to sleep for a few hours.
A very bad idea. Valium and alcohol do not mix. A friend's girlfriend's daughter made that mistake. Her last mistake.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:24 am

So, I was curious and had some time on my hands. One of my favorite parts about this and the Thai post are the character references he includes, like if Ms. Linda and Flavio Olivari say it is okay, than damn, the OP must have been in the right.

I decided to do a brief Google search of Flavio Olivari, and he is indeed a pilot, for a Vietnamese airline. Also, the OP had copied and pasted this into a few other websites.

I want to belief this guy exists and these events happened, because this guy is a hero. A hero for people who are completely unselfaware.
RoyalFlush and ZenAndTheArt like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
You seem very entitled, it doesn't matter who you are, or that you hired some fancy law firm. The airline can refuse you alcohol for a myriad of reasons and they don't have to disclose anything to you other than no, you are not getting alcohol. Don't fly with them again and get on with your life, things happen and holding onto this is only stressing you out.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: AA,BA,CO,AMEX,SPG
Where is it he mentioned flying on Thai Airlines?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: AA,BA,CO,AMEX,SPG
That and probably because of his "CV", which he prominently posted at the beginning of his comments. I am impressed, are you? :-(
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Solitaire PPS Club, RC Platinum
White Knights

Too many White Knights RE: w/in thread. The guy’s native language doesn’t seem to be English, he likes to drink, big deal if he takes a Valium too (know your limits however), and too bad he couldn’t enjoy a cigarette b/c he probably enjoys those too. Seems like a bum deal sir. If you paid for J and received half-a55 service both ways, be my guest and complain away. Im grateful for the heads-up! And to the myriad of White Knights who have posted up, nary a one of your are perfect, so please stfu & give this guy a break. Maybe take a valium? Peace!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:38 am

Thanks ZenAndTheArt for being a White Knight to OP, the internet needs more saviours like you

[/eyeroll]
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:26 am

This guy definitely sounds like a DYKWIA.
NWplatinum likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.