FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   Garuda London - Jakarta zero'd out in GDS for W18-19 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1912387-garuda-london-jakarta-zerod-out-gds-w18-19-a.html)

sammyg901 Jun 2, 2018 11:02 pm

Garuda London - Jakarta zero'd out in GDS for W18-19 [re-launched]

As thread title - Garuda aren't currently selling tickets for W18 on the Heathrow-Jakarta flight - the flights are still in the schedule but 0 across all classes. Anyone heard anything?

Found some local news reference to losses - https://ekonomi.kompas.com/read/2018...an-yang-merugi

clubeurope Jun 3, 2018 7:09 am

Originally Posted by sammyg901 (Post 29822474)
As thread title - Garuda aren't currently selling tickets for W18 on the Heathrow-Jakarta flight - the flights are still in the schedule but 0 across all classes. Anyone heard anything?

Found some local news reference to losses - https://ekonomi.kompas.com/read/2018...an-yang-merugi

It'll be sad to see Garuda go, though in fairness, I don't find much merit for Garuda's presence in London. There are few connection opportunities, and they are not competitive. With prices on other carriers cheaper than ever, and not much of a flight time difference for people flying with SQ, QR, or EK, Garuda wouldn't be able to survive this route under such conditions.

Additionally, there have been rumours for months that Garuda will cancel the nonstop flights... though I'm not sure if that means a complete withdrawal from LHR...

mr_botak Jun 3, 2018 9:59 am

Oh this could be a pain. I'm scheduled to go to KUL via CGK from LHR in November. Looking at the article it appears to suggest that AMS will continue, but LHR will possibly be dropped?

If so I presume GA is obliged to re-route / refund under EC261?

ballogie Jun 3, 2018 1:34 pm

Do you mean week 18 of 2019, beginning April 29th 2019 ?

mr_botak Jun 3, 2018 2:39 pm

No W18 means winter 2018. October onwards would be my guess.

Penguinmoon Jun 3, 2018 11:13 pm

This would be a shame. I've only done LHR-CGK once on GA, in F, and the flight was as good as any CX, JL, or other Oneworld (Yes, I know GA is skyteam, but I'm a OW guy) carrier in F. Would be sad to see it go.

sammyg901 Jun 4, 2018 12:47 am

Originally Posted by mr_botak (Post 29823659)
Oh this could be a pain. I'm scheduled to go to KUL via CGK from LHR in November. Looking at the article it appears to suggest that AMS will continue, but LHR will possibly be dropped?

If so I presume GA is obliged to re-route / refund under EC261?

Yes - northern winter 2018/9 - so end Oct onwards. They will have obligation to reroute under the EU regs (although if they are leaving the market entirely one would have to wonder how enforceable this is - e.g. if I was forced to book myself and take them to small claims - where would I serve them? Hopefully it doesn't come to that!)

The timings of the AMS flight would allow a tag to London, but I can't really see this happening as then they would need an afternoon slot at LHR and wouldn't be saving the cost of the UK operation. I imagine any reroute is going to be KLM to Amsterdam and then onwards.

I tweeted / emailed them but just got a reply that the flight wasn't available for sale currently and to check back.... guess it's under review

Annalisa12 Jun 4, 2018 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Penguinmoon (Post 29825787)
This would be a shame. I've only done LHR-CGK once on GA, in F, and the flight was as good as any CX, JL, or other Oneworld (Yes, I know GA is skyteam, but I'm a OW guy) carrier in F. Would be sad to see it go.

Garuda F looked stunning in one of the trip reports here.

I do like Garuda myself.

mr_botak Jun 4, 2018 9:40 am

Originally Posted by sammyg901 (Post 29825975)
Yes - northern winter 2018/9 - so end Oct onwards. They will have obligation to reroute under the EU regs (although if they are leaving the market entirely one would have to wonder how enforceable this is - e.g. if I was forced to book myself and take them to small claims - where would I serve them? Hopefully it doesn't come to that!)

The timings of the AMS flight would allow a tag to London, but I can't really see this happening as then they would need an afternoon slot at LHR and wouldn't be saving the cost of the UK operation. I imagine any reroute is going to be KLM to Amsterdam and then onwards.

I tweeted / emailed them but just got a reply that the flight wasn't available for sale currently and to check back.... guess it's under review

Thanks - worst comes to worst can always do a credit card chargeback. I'll hope someone gets in touch! By the looks of it the changes for the Winter schedule 2017/18 were formally announced late August 17, so I imagine we may need to wait until then, although obviously blocking out all the availability makes this a self fulfilling prophecy.

Sam Bee Jun 4, 2018 1:26 pm

Oh, ffs - this impacts me in so many ways. But my flights havn't been changed or been advised, still had to hold an option with another airline in November.

And they were so good onboard, just their ops teams & planning is a joke (i.e. 1 of 3 LHR flight recently changed timings so it doesn't connect back from Bali meaning an overnight in Jakarta).

No surprise, but I hope it's something else. With Garuda it's every possibility that tomorrow there will be a new daily flight Aberdeen to Jakarta launched. Or something.

sammyg901 Jun 4, 2018 6:19 pm

Yep - my booking is still intact. I'm keeping a close eye on it! As long as I can get rerouted via AMS or otherwise then no big deal for me - sorry to hear it's gonna cause you problems :(. Will update if I hear anything else

plunet Jun 5, 2018 5:20 am

Oh, interesting, I picked up a cheap ticket with GA for a Christmas and new year period connecting through to BKK. Would be sad to not experience the Garuda service I have heard so much about.

If the flights are cancelled I guess they will be looking to reroute onto other Skyteam partners?

siw Jun 5, 2018 10:48 am

I just telephoned the GA sales office in London because about one month ago I searched for flights for December 2018 (LHR-CGK-BKK rtn in Business was really good prices) and all was good but today there is nothing listed after 27th October 2018. Their sales person said that it was not cancelled and that that GA are doing something and their scheduling and that I should check again in about one week; but we'll just have to wait and see. I am looking forward to my flight in GA Business in August/September.

I too really do not want GA to end the LHR service and really like their ground and onboard product in all classes. It would be preferrable for them to be in LHR T4 along with the other SkyTeamers (excepting MEA) rather than T3, but that is a minor detail.

plunet Jun 5, 2018 10:53 am

That's useful feedback, fingers crossed its just some backoffice updates and nothing more sinister. Will feedback if I hear or see anything on my booking which appears to be intact in the GA app and also via CheckMyTrip

siw Jun 5, 2018 11:15 am

I should also add to what I said above. The GA London sales office person said that they have had lots of calls about the missing winter 2018 availability. So that is good because at least there is some demand.

Why don't GA just hurry up and get some more efficient A350s or B787s rather than the gigantic B77W, just like VN use to LHR/CDG/FRA. Secondly, rather than CGK-LHR 3 days per week and then nothing on the other 4 days why don't GA do what VN does at LHR and go with a mix of CGK/DPS-LHR just like VN do with HAN/SGN-LHR.