Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Garuda London - Jakarta zero'd out in GDS for W18-19

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by plunet
And another snippet - with the news in the past few days that all Indonesian Airlines now have safely clearance to fly to the EU, there's news circualting that GA hope to open a route to Paris.

Tahun Depan, Garuda Siap Terbang ke Paris
to be honest, any intention of new route opening from GA must be taken with pinch of salt. they tend to talk big but rarely materialized. only Mumbai and Chengdu were proven to be happened from their previous round of these. they do not even have Manila flight after all this time of talk.

no chance they'll fly to Paris in current condition.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Still little bits of news appearing

https://industri.kontan.co.id/news/larangan-terbang-ke-uni-eropa-dicabut-tak-banyak-efeknya-bagi-bisnis-garuda Regarding the Jakarta-London route, Garuda Indonesia is still doing a good strategy for the route. "Actually this route to London we want to also cum to Australia, so we are still revising for this route to London," said Helmi, Wednesday (20/6).

Regarding the passenger route Jakarta-London, Helmi convey the number of passengers depending on the season, so long as the Jakarta-London route is still below expectations expected by Garuda Indonesia. "

So potentially they are looking to revise the operation for Aus connections. Seems not the greatest strategy to me as they are then competing with everyone else and the routes are awash with capacity - especially in economy class outside of peak seasons

Flew SIN-DPS on KLM last week and was surprised at the number of Brits on a two-stop interinary down there and KLM prices are never the cheapest (though their regional connections are v handy) - still think either some triangle flights offering direct to DPS or at least same plane/flight no. service would be great for this route
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:46 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by blueferrari
to be honest, any intention of new route opening from GA must be taken with pinch of salt. they tend to talk big but rarely materialized. only Mumbai and Chengdu were proven to be happened from their previous round of these. they do not even have Manila flight after all this time of talk.

no chance they'll fly to Paris in current condition.
don't forget Saigon and New Delhi never appearing...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by sammyg901
Still little bits of news appearing

https://industri.kontan.co.id/news/larangan-terbang-ke-uni-eropa-dicabut-tak-banyak-efeknya-bagi-bisnis-garuda Regarding the Jakarta-London route, Garuda Indonesia is still doing a good strategy for the route. "Actually this route to London we want to also cum to Australia, so we are still revising for this route to London," said Helmi, Wednesday (20/6).

Regarding the passenger route Jakarta-London, Helmi convey the number of passengers depending on the season, so long as the Jakarta-London route is still below expectations expected by Garuda Indonesia. "

So potentially they are looking to revise the operation for Aus connections. Seems not the greatest strategy to me as they are then competing with everyone else and the routes are awash with capacity - especially in economy class outside of peak seasons

Flew SIN-DPS on KLM last week and was surprised at the number of Brits on a two-stop interinary down there and KLM prices are never the cheapest (though their regional connections are v handy) - still think either some triangle flights offering direct to DPS or at least same plane/flight no. service would be great for this route
I mean with viable Australia connections, they still have a glimmering light of hope to sustain the operation. Their connection opportunities at this time just makes no sense for most travellers.

Additionally, it may be wise for them to sign a code-share agreement with FlyBe or even East Coast Trains to allow connections to various points within the UK.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA & BD Gold Once Upon a Time
I flew LHR-CGK-DPS in Nov 2016 in economy.

There were 80 people on the midweek CGK leg and not that many more on the weekend return leg. At check in I was told that the flights are fully booked over the summer.

Seems to make sense to drop the winter flights. Unlike Thailand, Indonesia’s wet season is over the northern hemisphere winter, so it just doesn’t get the tourist traffic places like Thailand gets.

I was close to booking the family to DPS for 10 days on Garuda over February half term. Even though rainy season, the luxury hotels are cheap in Ubud and Seminyak if you don’t want the beach (I don’t).

Flight prices on Garuda website was just over Ł400 pp ($530). All this for the best part of 18k miles. No wonder they are dropping the flights. Glad I didn’t book now and have to go through the faff of refunds.

Last edited by Oil-man; Jun 25, 2018 at 1:14 pm
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Oil-man
No wonder they are dropping the flights. Glad I didn’t book now and have to go through the faff of refunds.
We don't know for sure yet, whether they're really dropping the flights or moving into something else. @sammyg901's post gives a clue that they're supposedly trying to retime the flights to complement well with the Australia flights.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: BAEC
And of course, for those flying from London, your rights would be refund or reroute.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:24 am

Update

I travelled on GA86 from CGK to LHR on 21/6 and my partner on 26/6. Both flights had lots of empty seats in economy.

My Indonesian partner was talking with the crew who were also aware that all flights beyond October were not bookable. They stated they had been advised the flights were being re-timed to align with Australia connections. Seems to confirm the above.

Fingers crossed that that is true as we have flights booked for February 2019.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by plunet
Found some more from an article written back in 2015 when the route to LHR was rumoured to be starting, and it seems that the runways at Jakarta cannot take the full weight of the 773 with a full load of passengers and cargo. Another commercial constraint - although I expect this applies equally to AMS as well as LHR. People at GA obviously knew this before the route started but perhaps the numbers didn't add up in practice.
Back in those days, London was initially served as a "tag" added on to the AMS flight - at LGW, though. The runway issues meant that msot/all of these flights had to stop-off in SIN too, en-route.

The "commercial constraint" never applied to AMS. That route was always popular (The Netherlands has far more ties with Indonesia than the UK does) ; it was London that had to be built up from scratch.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
The workaround for Garuda's 777-300 flights (as told to me by someone senior at Garuda) is the runway could (number made up by me for illustrative purposes) only support 500 tonnes, but a fully loaded 777 with enough fuel to reach LHR/AMS non-stop was 530 tonnes. Thus they stopped in Singapore one way.

However, it was quickly worked out that the flights could simply 'average' out over a period of a week, so the Amsterdam flights went via Singapore (at, say 450 tonnes) whilst the London ones went non stop at 530 tonnes. So 3 flights to each destination each week averaged 490 tonnes. It still doesn't make logical sense to me, but is the most Indonesian thing i've ever come across. Needless to say Garuda were well aware of the weight restrictions when they ordered the planes in the first place.

Hope it gets resolved soon, as have 2 seats of flights during the impacted time, which as yet have not been cancelled.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:39 am

All they did with the tag-on flights made the flights even less desirable for people... I know quite a few people who refuse to take Garuda to/from London thinking that they still operate the flights this way.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:02 am

Garuda to fly to Paris, cancels LHR?

i’ve come across an article (in Indonesian), saying along the lines of Garuda discontinuing LHR and favouring Paris-CDG as its other European destination...

The article says that Garuda is ready to shift its Jakarta-London flights to Jakarta-Paris, in an effort to find a more profitable market.

the article cited Garuda’s CEO, saying that Paris won’t be launched this year, but is planned for 2019.

read more (in Indonesian, or Google Translate it)
https://bisnis.tempo.co/read/1101138...ondon-ke-paris

I feel CDG makes much more sense given the connection possibilities with AF, but still a pity to see London gone if their plan comes into realisation
Old Jul 3, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I've seen something saying similar in an English language paper - not the Jakarta Post.

It's tosh as point to point business to France is a fraction of the UK market - there is still plenty of skyteam connections possible, if only Garuda could schedule their flight so they can get a slot in the Skyteam terminal..

Got to face it, long haul Garuda flights are always going to be impeded by short term planning. It's been a few years now, what does the Thursday CGK-LHR flight (08:15 departure) have connections from? Australia? No. Bali? No - well not until they put on a once weekly 05:45 DPS-CGK flight. Possibly Palembang, but no JOG, LOP etc. Meanwhile they throw out cheap J fare to BKK that involve a massive backtrack and an overnight in CGK in one direction.

Sensible timed flights? Good onward connections? Smooth connections in both directions to tourist & business destinations? Retiming Oz flights to ensure a chunk of the UK-OZ market when times are lean? That's a great big nope to any of them.

And the crazy thing is? They are winning one of the toughest battles- the PR one- that they are / were seen as a cheap, unsafe, dodgy carrier. Now people see the modern, 9 across 777's, fantastic J & F - and decent Y, excellent service on board, competitive fares and safe. Now they just fail to get people anywhere useful.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
I've seen something saying similar in an English language paper - not the Jakarta Post.

It's tosh as point to point business to France is a fraction of the UK market - there is still plenty of skyteam connections possible, if only Garuda could schedule their flight so they can get a slot in the Skyteam terminal..

Got to face it, long haul Garuda flights are always going to be impeded by short term planning. It's been a few years now, what does the Thursday CGK-LHR flight (08:15 departure) have connections from? Australia? No. Bali? No - well not until they put on a once weekly 05:45 DPS-CGK flight. Possibly Palembang, but no JOG, LOP etc. Meanwhile they throw out cheap J fare to BKK that involve a massive backtrack and an overnight in CGK in one direction.

Sensible timed flights? Good onward connections? Smooth connections in both directions to tourist & business destinations? Retiming Oz flights to ensure a chunk of the UK-OZ market when times are lean? That's a great big nope to any of them.

And the crazy thing is? They are winning one of the toughest battles- the PR one- that they are / were seen as a cheap, unsafe, dodgy carrier. Now people see the modern, 9 across 777's, fantastic J & F - and decent Y, excellent service on board, competitive fares and safe. Now they just fail to get people anywhere useful.
Whilst I mostly agree, I don't see many (sensible) connection opportunities for Garuda in LHR, given the geographical location of the UK, (unless flying to the US East Coast, which can easily be done TPAC via Tokyo on DL). Unless Garuda partners with FlyBe or something of the sort, all the Skyteam connection possibilities make no sense. AMS is a better place to make a SkyTeam connection (arguably better airport, larger ST presence, single terminal, and more sensible geographical position).

I don't think its the terminal that matters most, it is the sensible connection possibilities to other places in Indonesia or AU/NZ that matters. And unfortunately, there are no sensible connection options as you have mentioned.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:22 am

To add, Jakarta-London direct isn't too viable a route either. Best of my knowledge, many Indonesian people don't mind making a connection, whether in DXB, DOH, AUH, KUL, SIN, HKG (the list goes on) as long as the price is right. Even WY and SV are starting to become option in their own right. Garuda rarely offers the cheapest prices, and given the price elasticity of the market, Garuda won't particularly come out victorious without offering the best prices.

Though with that in mind, I have a friend who goes out of his way to take the LHR-CGK flight, citing the possibility to lay down on a set of 3 seats in an empty Y cabin .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.