Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Garuda London - Jakarta zero'd out in GDS for W18-19

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by sistergeorge
Managed to change Economy B ticket. It was booked LHR-CGK-DPS next April. Now changed to LHR-SIN on SQ and then SIN-DPS on GA. 4 hours change in SIN on way out and 2.5 on the way back but guess there are worse airports to wait in and much preferable to early start in Heathrow getting to Amsterdam and then change in Jakarta etc...

Arranged via Amsterdam office as booked through them originally and have always found them to be a lot more helpful and on it than London office.
Well all worked out better in the end as now spoken to office and adjusted the booking to take the non-stop flight from LHR-DPS on the way out but keep the rerouted flight back on SQ for the return.

So works out better (until they make the next scheduling change.....)
Ldnn1 and plunet like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by plunet
I've not been, but by all accounts this rings very true with what others have told me, with the possible omission of immigration officials also making a spiritual nuisance of themselves.
Doesn't ring true of my 40 odd trips to Indonesia? Never had an issue with customs staff (but yes, local expats I know have, mainly as they have 'bent' rules), but in Bali (which is a pain if you arrive and are on the look out for a taxi) I always have a car waiting for me (hotel / prebooked) - a few $ more, and minimises stress. Bali is fabulous, traffic is horrendous in the south, just get out! I had 3 lovely days in Sidemen in November, and it was tranquil, peaceful and I love it!

There are simple rules in minimising stress anywhere in the world. In Indonesia (or Thailand) it's a prebooked driver meeting you at the airport. In London, it's avoiding the Heathrow Express.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jotape
So most likely the better option on the way out will be via AMS with the KL morning codeshare.
and indeed the reverse for DPS now - in my view the best way from AMS will be via LHR and an overnight flight straight into Bali rather than the day flight and international-domestic connection in CGK
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

As an aside - I credited my SQ leg to my Krisflyer and it shows over $5k "PPS" value - so if that is the amount that did in fact change hands, that was an expensive exercise for GA - especially as my original flight ended up running a few mins ahead of me after all!!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Doesn't ring true of my 40 odd trips to Indonesia? Never had an issue with customs staff (but yes, local expats I know have, mainly as they have 'bent' rules), but in Bali (which is a pain if you arrive and are on the look out for a taxi) I always have a car waiting for me (hotel / prebooked) - a few $ more, and minimises stress. Bali is fabulous, traffic is horrendous in the south, just get out! I had 3 lovely days in Sidemen in November, and it was tranquil, peaceful and I love it!

There are simple rules in minimising stress anywhere in the world. In Indonesia (or Thailand) it's a prebooked driver meeting you at the airport. In London, it's avoiding the Heathrow Express.
Same here - Customs sometimes X-ray luggage, sometimes don't, and if they do search you stay calm and polite and they will too.

An alternative to the rip-off airport taxis is the "Grab" app (took over from Uber in Indonesia) much more reasonable but you do have to be discrete meeting the drivers as the monopolist taxi firms are keen to defend their position - you'd probably need a little Indonesian to arrange a pick up point, if your hotel does not doo airport pick ups. Outside the airport insist on Blue Bird taxis (and not any of the 'blink and you'd miss' it copy cats like 'Blue Biro' and others). Drivers are polite and well trained, and funnily enough their taxi meters always work.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:55 am

Hang on - just worked out that you can only fly LHR-DPS-CGK on the Tuesday flight, no late flight on Thu / Sat UK departures, so you have to overnight in Bali.

Surely that's an easy resolution? Surely if you're operating a CGK-LHR-DPS you have to offer connections LHR-DPS-CGK as well as DPS-CGK-LHR?

And currently DPS-CGK connecting flight is not the 777, but GA 403 d. 09:05 in a 737 (with another 737 at 07:00). But these connecting 737's are where they are expecting to fill a 777-300 worth of holidaymakers from CGK-LHR?

Surely this is easy to fix?! Yes, better slots from LHR are one way, but operating LHR-DPS-CGK-LHR on the same plane would make life so much easier!??

Uh, i've got a headache.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

It has been scheduled now it looks like - GA4152 on a Sunday & a Wednesday and existing flight GA405 on a Friday, along with an override to the usual connection times for the specific pairing
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by sammyg901
It has been scheduled now it looks like - GA4152 on a Sunday & a Wednesday and existing flight GA405 on a Friday, along with an override to the usual connection times for the specific pairing
Ah, I see it now, not scheduled through the year yet, but assume it will be. 1 hour connection time to GA 4152 BUT it's a 773 - so assume that it's the same plane (Fridays GA405 also 773) to avoid any issues. Sensible (can I use that word in a GA thread?).

DPS-CGK flights to connect DPS-CGK-LHR still 737's - surely they need to reschedule those as same plane 773's? Next step?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: Miles and More, BAEC , QR Privilege, Oman Sindbad, Tufty Club.
Departures now re-scheduled (again) GA 87 Dep LHR 21:45 arr DPS 20:15. ---- GA 86 Dep CGK 11:20 Arr LHR 20:00.
Only problem is they have not rescheduled my return connection from DPS to CGK (GA403 (738) dep DPS 09:25 arr CGK 10:30 to pick up GA87. This means a connection time of 50 minutes and breaks their own rules ! ( Not surprisingly you cannot book it as a new reservation )
I suppose I shall have to call them at sometime to point out the error of their ways. Really don't fancy the alarm call in Ubud to get on the 07:00 DPS departure though !
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by editionsofyou
Really don't fancy the alarm call in Ubud to get on the 07:00 DPS departure though !
At least the traffic would be light

I'd probably forego the last night in my accommodation (depending on cost I would just keep the night using it as a very late check out) & head down to an airport hotel the night before - if you happen to have any Hilton points it's only 5k)
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:44 pm
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
So we’re getting First Class back to LHR, for a short while at least?

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...ondon-in-3q19/
Old May 23, 2019, 2:59 am

Been a while since Garuda cancelled the route... still showing in systems

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...box=1558599739
Old May 23, 2019, 4:13 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Been a while since Garuda cancelled the route... still showing in systems

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/...box=1558599739
again??
Old May 23, 2019, 8:34 am

Well Garuda truly know how to mess around their U.K. passengers. On. Off. On. Reroute. Now off again. If the route is unprofitable it’s because of the lack of certainty over the flights and the reputation the company has gained for continually changing their minds. A real shame because the Garuda product is great.
brunos likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: SQ, GA, AA
CGK - LHR is not the only route being axed out. CGK - AMS frequency will also be cut by half from 6 times weekly to 3 times weekly:

http://aeronauticsonline.com/garuda-...ork-once-more/

Garuda will also significantly reduce its Europe service. Its recently revamped London-Heathrow flights will be cancelled altogether, and flights between Jakarta and Amsterdam will be reduced from six flights per week to three flights per week. Earlier, the airline terminated its Belitung-Singapore service.
A Garuda Indonesia spokesperson in The Jakarta Post stated that around 59% of the total business costs (around 1.05 billion US$) for the airline were allocated to operational costs, which totaled $618.99 million. The airline spends $267.73 million on leasing aircraft while it spends $286.12 million on fuel costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.