Trying to book on Hainan

Old May 15, 18, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Trying to book on Hainan

www.hainanairlines.com is in English--and won't admit the flight I want exists (found via Google Flights).
www.hkair.com is in Chinese, has no problem with the flight but it's all in Chinese and there's a captcha that's stumping my wife.
Their phone number doesn't seem able to book a ticket.
So far my e-mail to the support address I was given has produced nothing but an autoresponder.

There is a domestic leg on Alaska. Last time we did this we booked with Hainan and their baggage rules applied but it looks to me if I book anywhere else Alaska's rules would apply on the outbound.
Old May 16, 18, 5:15 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
If they are anything like other China based airlines, and you had no luck with the obvious channels, call them on their China res number [+86 something].

I am surprised the US number (if that was what you tried) did not work though.

Probably not worth wasting time on online access.
Old May 16, 18, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exwannabe View Post
If they are anything like other China based airlines, and you had no luck with the obvious channels, call them on their China res number [+86 something].

I am surprised the US number (if that was what you tried) did not work though.

Probably not worth wasting time on online access.
My wife's squawking at the US line managed to produce a callback from someone in China. It looks like we have tickets at this point but the English website at least doesn't admit them (but it doesn't admit the flight itself exists, either--I think they have some data problems.)

Really stupid--I had to reduce the quality of scans of our passports twice before the e-mail would go through. (I could send them, they just vanished in transit.)
Old Jan 11, 19, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
My wife's squawking at the US line managed to produce a callback from someone in China. It looks like we have tickets at this point but the English website at least doesn't admit them (but it doesn't admit the flight itself exists, either--I think they have some data problems.)

Really stupid--I had to reduce the quality of scans of our passports twice before the e-mail would go through. (I could send them, they just vanished in transit.)
Booked similar flights from SFO to PVG in economy class. Seems like I have 2 pieces baggage allowance for both Hainan and Alaska. Just want to confirm this is true. Also, on the way back, do I check bags all the way to SFO, or do I have to pick up bags and recheck once I arrive in Vancouver? I understand that I will clear US custom in YVR.
Old Jan 11, 19, 9:37 pm

Programs: A3 G CZ S
No English version for Hongkong Airline? Sounds weird
ever try this link?
https://www.hongkongairlines.com/en_US/homepage
Old Jan 13, 19, 1:26 am

Programs: A3*G, AA-EP, DL, UA*S, AS
If on the same ticket and Alaska is the first flight, Alaska confers the baggage allowance of the international carrier regardless whose code is on the first flight.
Old Jan 17, 19, 4:44 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG: Platinum Premier, AS: MVP Gold, UA: Silver
Anyone know why Hainan's schedule abruptly ends for all flights after October 25th? Do they not update their end of schedule daily?
Old Jan 17, 19, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by ejg930 View Post
Anyone know why Hainan's schedule abruptly ends for all flights after October 25th? Do they not update their end of schedule daily?
I have the same question. Please let me know if you get an answer.

Thanks
Old Jan 22, 19, 7:56 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus - Gold, Marco Polo - Silver
Obviously still operating but caveat emptor.
https://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tr...urther-clarify
Dean1953 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 19, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hessbo View Post
Obviously still operating but caveat emptor.
https://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tr...urther-clarify
+1. I personally couldn't fathom buying a flight on any of their airlines 9 months out.
Dean1953 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 19, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
www.hainanairlines.com is in English--and won't admit the flight I want exists (found via Google Flights).
www.hkair.com is in Chinese, has no problem with the flight but it's all in Chinese and there's a captcha that's stumping my wife.
I guess you mean "hnair" instead of "hkair".
They do have different search results as mainland China airlines use separate systems on the mainland China side and overseas.
One way to by-pass the phone number is to register for their FFP and then log in as a member. I remember I used my US phone number when I signed up. But this still might not be useful for you, because the Chinese website does not accept foreign credit cards. Since you don't have a Chinese +86 phone number I would believe it is highly unlikely you have any of their accepted methods of payments.
Old Mar 4, 19, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by arant View Post
I have the same question. Please let me know if you get an answer.

Thanks
Still no idea - their schedule still cuts off on October 28. Getting a little nervous, the rest of the options for me to get to Shanghai are way less convenient.
Old Mar 7, 19, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by ejg930 View Post
Still no idea - their schedule still cuts off on October 28. Getting a little nervous, the rest of the options for me to get to Shanghai are way less convenient.
There was a bunch of rumors that HU is about to announce a bankruptcy but denied by HU.... I don't really have an English source but here is one in Chinese.
Notably, I did see similar posts in Chinese dated back to last Sept asking about the schedule for 2019 spring. It seems a norm that HU release their schedule following "Winter-Spring Season" and "Summer-Autumn Season", basically Nov-Apr, May-Oct.

I guess we can wait a little bit more to see what's going on.
Old Mar 15, 19, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by arant View Post
There was a bunch of rumors that HU is about to announce a bankruptcy but denied by HU.... I don't really have an English source but here is one in Chinese.
Notably, I did see similar posts in Chinese dated back to last Sept asking about the schedule for 2019 spring. It seems a norm that HU release their schedule following "Winter-Spring Season" and "Summer-Autumn Season", basically Nov-Apr, May-Oct.

I guess we can wait a little bit more to see what's going on.
Looks like the schedule has opened up now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: