Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is China Eastern's customer service really this bad?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Service? Having had the experience of China Eastern/Shanghai Airlines on the BKK-PVG route (and CA on PEK-BKK, SIN) over the past 3 years I would gladly take a US carrier any day over the the mainland big 3, and I loathe US carriers. Trying to get an alcoholic beverage on these routes is an exercise in frustration and the wine selection if available, is deplorable. Meals are often inedible. On my last J class flight only one entree of "fish" was available. My experience has been that there is only one meal type loaded on the route despite the embellished menu boasting of multiple options. The food itself is of dubious quality. And as for the lounges? Disgusting and an ongoing demonstration of poor hygiene.

Arrogance, rudeness and disdain for the customer are the norm. Some western airlines promote PEK and PVG as transit hubs in Asia. It isn't working. Once civilized people experience the inefficiency and absence of hospitality of the mainland transit experience, ICN, TPE, HND, NRT and HKG become the preferred transit points.

However, the main reason why a US carrier will ALWAYS be better than a mainland carrier, is the legal protection of the passenger. There is no recourse for a passenger on the mainland carriers, for the simple reason, they just ignore the passenger. Poor onboard service,IROP response; Lost baggage; Change in schedule with no advance notice; etc.: IMO, all the same response: Nothing. No concern, no care and no F's given. Whatever the imagined and real failings of US carriers are, there is a legal framework that applies and a right of redress available to the passenger. Foreigners cannot expect, nor are they granted similar rights when dealing with the mainland carrier when in China and in most other jurisdictions. I learnt my lesson, despite having status, and no matter the airfare savings, the dismal mainland service and quality of care isn't worth it. And BTW, having watched the "enhanced" treatment of some ethnic groups during transit, was disturbing.
I agree with you that their drink selection is lacking, but their tea selection is much better than any USA airline so I think it may be a cultural difference. I have not experienced the poor on board service, I'm always treated nicely on the mainland carriers. The main reason to avoid the mainland airlines is the possibility of sitting next to someone who doesn't believe they need to use headphones to watch their movie or play their video game. Other than that I stand by my comment that they are better than the USA carriers in both service and seating.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:40 pm

Service? Having had the experience of China Eastern/Shanghai Airlines on the BKK-PVG route (and CA on PEK-BKK, SIN) over the past 3 years I would gladly take a US carrier any day over the the mainland big 3, and I loathe US carriers. Trying to get an alcoholic beverage on these routes is an exercise in frustration and the wine selection if available, is deplorable. Meals are often inedible. On my last J class flight only one entree of "fish" was available. My experience has been that there is only one meal type loaded on the route despite the embellished menu boasting of multiple options. The food itself is of dubious quality. And as for the lounges? Disgusting and an ongoing demonstration of poor hygiene.

Arrogance, rudeness and disdain for the customer are the norm. Some western airlines promote PEK and PVG as transit hubs in Asia. It isn't working. Once civilized people experience the inefficiency and absence of hospitality of the mainland transit experience, ICN, TPE, HND, NRT and HKG become the preferred transit points.

However, the main reason why a US carrier will ALWAYS be better than a mainland carrier, is the legal protection of the passenger. There is no recourse for a passenger on the mainland carriers, for the simple reason, they just ignore the passenger. Poor onboard service,IROP response; Lost baggage; Change in schedule with no advance notice; etc.: IMO, all the same response: Nothing. No concern, no care and no F's given. Whatever the imagined and real failings of US carriers are, there is a legal framework that applies and a right of redress available to the passenger. Foreigners cannot expect, nor are they granted similar rights when dealing with the mainland carrier when in China and in most other jurisdictions. I learnt my lesson, despite having status, and no matter the airfare savings, the dismal mainland service and quality of care isn't worth it. And BTW, having watched the "enhanced" treatment of some ethnic groups during transit, was disturbing.
I mean but the US carrier do not even have food, you have to buy it with extra money, of course you got better service when you pay extra. And you certainly would not get better wines or cheese as this is a Chinese carrier, it is simply like to say US carrier does not have good dim sum and green tea on their flights.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:45 pm

good to know. thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:46 pm

thanks for the tip! sorry to hear that.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:46 pm

do you remember what the meal was?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:47 pm

Do you remember what the food options were? how was the boarding process? on time?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jgs1984
Do you remember what the food options were? how was the boarding process? on time?
Chicken/beef with rice/noodles. You won't starve, but if you're at an airport that has good food options like BKK, it's best to eat there or get carry out.

Boarding is something that rarely enters my mind. I simply wait until the line thins out, and walk onto the plane. This is a drill that I've doing for years without a single bad experience.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by jgs1984
I just flew PVG-LAX and the first meal was chicken rice or beef noodles. The 2nd meal was pork rice or chicken noodles. Surprisingly, a light breakfast of a pastry bread of sorts and peanuts was provided an hour before landing. For economy at least, bringing your own food will almost always be a better choice,
Old Apr 4, 2019, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by AUCLABruin
I just flew PVG-LAX and the first meal was chicken rice or beef noodles. The 2nd meal was pork rice or chicken noodles. Surprisingly, a light breakfast of a pastry bread of sorts and peanuts was provided an hour before landing. For economy at least, bringing your own food will almost always be a better choice,
As I suggested in the post before yours, I'm in complete agreement. That having been said, I'm hard pressed to think of any decent restaurants at PVG (either terminal). While I suppose that both KFC and BK are arguably preferable to MU's food, I personally don't like taking in so much salt/preservatives before a long flight. SHA, on the other hand, has some good options, such as Wagas, the Korean BBQ behind Wagas, a duck/goose restaurant, and even Dunkin' Donuts. I must admit that I rarely fly out of PVG, but when I do, I try to check out restaurants pre-flight.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
For economy at least, bringing your own food will almost always be a better choice,
I find the meals passable, but not great. I actually just flew LAX-PVG this morning (currently in Shanghai on a layover to BKK) and dinner was mapo tofu rice or chicken noodles, while breakfast was an omelette or noodles and dim sum.

I agree that you need to be attuned to a Chinese palette to appreciate MU's catering (and on this flight, they actually said they serve Chinese food), but I've seen improvement in the last three years I've flown them and there's definitely worse catering than MU's.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Akiestar
I find the meals passable, but not great. I actually just flew LAX-PVG this morning (currently in Shanghai on a layover to BKK) and dinner was mapo tofu rice or chicken noodles, while breakfast was an omelette or noodles and dim sum.

I agree that you need to be attuned to a Chinese palette to appreciate MU's catering (and on this flight, they actually said they serve Chinese food), but I've seen improvement in the last three years I've flown them and there's definitely worse catering than MU's.
Ah, I assume you flew MU 578? Yeah, for those who are not used to eating Chinese food, it can be a slight challenge to eat MU's food. Yeah. the food for my 4 MU flights in these past two weeks was okay. I do remember last year the pork rice from PVG to LAX was bad to the point of being inedible, but every other meal I had on MU for 8 flights has been a normal economy meal.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Akiestar

Since LAX has many restaurants that I like, I always grab a meal pre-flight, and also a burrito, sub, salad, etc to eat mid flight.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
We are going J on new MU A350 soon on SYD/PVG wondered what food will be like, hope its better than I read currently.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Limewood
We are going J on new MU A350 soon on SYD/PVG wondered what food will be like, hope its better than I read currently.
MU J food is honestly no worse than what CX offers IMO; you will survive (just like I can survive on the chicken and rice in Y), but you need to set your expectations well below fast casual restaurant chain standards.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Ah, I assume you flew MU 578? Yeah, for those who are not used to eating Chinese food, it can be a slight challenge to eat MU's food. Yeah. the food for my 4 MU flights in these past two weeks was okay. I do remember last year the pork rice from PVG to LAX was bad to the point of being inedible, but every other meal I had on MU for 8 flights has been a normal economy meal.
MU 578 is my go-to flight since it gives me layover options. On the way back, I try to get on MU 583.

One thing I've learned from all the times I've flown MU is to stay away from their rice options. They have a tendency to butcher it and the rice is never to my liking (it looks like a large block), so I generally just stick with noodles since I find they don't butcher that as much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.