Is China Eastern's customer service really this bad?

Old May 14, 18, 1:39 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold, United Gold
Originally Posted by Dean1953 View Post
There is no benefit of a doubt because the Chinese government follows a blanket ban on batteries. Anyone that has even a minimal amount of information about
Cordless tool batteries knows that they pose no security risk. Ultimately, the Chinese government can impose whatever law/regulations that they want. In my case, they made one customer mad enough that I'll never fly through China again. Again, I'll point out that my anger is made far greater by China Eastern making no effort to contact me about bag, when they had contact information and knew that I was looking for it. That is the reason why I'm pursuing the matter. If they had just took the batteries and at least got me my bag to me in a day or two, this matter would be over.
If you hate the rules of Chinese aviation authorities so much, then stop flying Chinese airlines. When you purchase the ticket, you implicitly agreed to the contracts of carriage of that particular airline in the first place.
nancypants and Bub001 like this.
Old May 14, 18, 1:42 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold, United Gold

if you think that I'm ever going to let this go, you don't know me. I wrote the letter for compensation today and it will be sent tomorrow morning by certified letter. In it, I let them know that unless there is a settlement in 30 days, I will file a lawsuit and a complaint with the DOT. If I win in small claims court, I can attach their property for up to the amount of the judgment. I can show this judgment to every person standing in line at the China Eastern ticket counter at LAX. I have a brother that lives in Los Angeles and can visit him for a month or 2. What I can guarantee that, at some point, they will care about what I am doing. Whether it results in a settlement, that's up to them.
The earth does not go around you. Find peace with yourself. You did not follow the rules of Chinese aviation authorities by putting an unlabelled battery in the checked bag in the first place. It is not MU's fault. Again, rules will be reinforced, no matter whether you like it or not. If you don't like it, then don't fly MU or any Chinese airlines again, plain and simple.
Old May 14, 18, 9:22 pm

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Interesting that this is turning into a "which is worse - China or US airlines/airport/everything" debate
Old May 15, 18, 5:12 am

I will generally run to the front of the line to bash China for almost any reason. But the OP is pretty out of line at this point. Also, I find, especially in foreign countries, that it is best to exercise caution with rules and regulations. Could the Chinese authorities have handled his situation better? Yes. But, he should probably just carry valuable items in his carry-on. China is super strict on batteries.
Old May 18, 18, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been coming around to almost like MU because they have improved a lot, but the gate change from 37 to 67 today was completely moronic. This required 150 people to walk for 20 minutes.
Old May 18, 18, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well apart from the four hour delay and the gate change thing, the flight itself was actually kind of pleasant (much better than FM or HO). They did call me to advise about the delay before I left for the airport,
Old May 19, 18, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Like I said before, I consider this two separate insidents. While I think that the Chinese batteries rule is moronic, I agree that they can do what they want. Airports like BKK understand that it would be in their best interests to warn passengers of this rule; LAX does not. The second part is what I won't let go. They had almost four hours in Shanghai to remove battery, put note in bag and let my bag continue to destination. They didn't. I did everything the right way by filling out forms in both Kunming and Chiang Mai. I was told to call and email both Kunming and Shanghai lost bag. I did but got no response. Literally, for 11 days, I spent 15-30 minutes a day trying to find the bag. If BKK China Eastern didn't get involved, I would never have gotten my bag. Is this what any of you that think I've over reacted want to do on their vacation? I don't think so. I am pretty easygoing and it takes a lot to piss me off. By signing a treaty, China Eastern is obligated to pay me compensation for losing the bag for more than 7 days. I sent an email to them Monday, explaining the situation and requesting $197.00 in compensation. I think that it's indicative of China Eastern's lack of customer service that I wrote a long letter to send to them but needed the correct address at LAX so I could get someone to sign for it (to prove that they got the letter). I talked to a China Eastern airlines representative at LAX for 15 minutes and she would not give me an address to send the letter to, and gave me the email address. I have not received a reply from them yet. I'll give them 30 days and then do what I said that I'll do in an earlier post. I've got a brother that lives in Los Angeles and l will be taking at least a 2 week vacation, during which time I'll spend all day at LAX, handing out flyers to customers waiting to check in, explaining what happened to me. And, I can think of a few other thing to do.
Old May 19, 18, 7:33 am
Original Poster

I forgot to mention that I noticed that, when I finally picked up my bag, on the baggage claim sticker, it listed my phone number and email address that I had given on the lost bag form that I filled out in Kunming. Those pricks had this information all the time and couldn't be bothered to send an email to me, asking where I wanted them to send the bag. That would have taken, at most, 1-2 minutes. I saved the baggage sticker for the small claims court lawsuit.
Old May 20, 18, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saved the baggage sticker for the small claims court lawsuit.
My gut tells me that bringing tiny charges up against MU is SCC is a complete waste of time. If you somehow do get a judgement in your favour, be prepared to spent countless hours collecting. if you have to spend 500+ hours in order make $200, who is the true winner?.... don't attempt to play the principle card.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 20, 18, 11:22 am

Programs: DL, UA, SPG, HH
I'd suggest that the OP not mention to people hes dealing with in China on this matter how his TPE and NRT transits should be indicative of his China transits. For various reasons Chinese people may have strong feelings about not being considered the same as people from those two places.
Also honestly I don't understand why the OP keeps repeating that. Just because the people look alike doesn't mean their services standards are the same.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 21, 18, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coloneltigh View Post
I'd suggest that the OP not mention to people hes dealing with in China on this matter how his TPE and NRT transits should be indicative of his China transits.
NRT, TPE, and PVG are direct competitors for transit passengers, so of course comparisons are relevant.
Old May 21, 18, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a semi related note, the OP needs to be aware that the Shanghai Airport Authority (which employs the baggage screeners, who are quasi police officers) and MU are two completely different entities. This fact could make it extremely easy for MU to pass the buck (i.e. who's to say when the OP's luggage was releasd to MU's baggage unit at PVG?).
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 31, 18, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

I’ve followed the book in pressing my claim against MU for losing my bag for 11 days. The middle of May, I sent MU by email a request for compensation, detailing what happened. I was given this email by an MU employee out of their LAX office. Naturally, no one answered me. After 6 weeks, I filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Transportation, again giving them a detailed account and was I wanted as compensation for them losing/not returning my luggage for 11 days. They passed on the complaint to MU and within a week, I received an email from an MU employee in the LAX office. She asked for my baggage claim number, my ticket number and a copy of the lost bag form filed in Kunming. Three days later, I mailed it all off and now I’m 10 days out from having mailed their request to them. I’ll give them another 3 weeks before I contact them and let them know that I am planing on suing them in small claims court. If anyone is interested, I have several email addresses and phone numbers for people at China Eastern that handle lost bags, compensation and court actions. I had emailed the lady to see if she received her requested information by mail but she has on vacation. In her automated response, she gave me those email addresses and phone numbers. Of course, I’ll keep this thread updated as I press my claim.
Old Aug 3, 18, 4:29 am

Iíve followed the book in pressing my claim against MU for losing my bag for 11 days. The middle of May, I sent MU by email a request for compensation, detailing what happened. I was given this email by an MU employee out of their LAX office. Naturally, no one answered me. After 6 weeks, I filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Transportation, again giving them a detailed account and was I wanted as compensation for them losing/not returning my luggage for 11 days. They passed on the complaint to MU and within a week, I received an email from an MU employee in the LAX office. She asked for my baggage claim number, my ticket number and a copy of the lost bag form filed in Kunming. Three days later, I mailed it all off and now Iím 10 days out from having mailed their request to them. Iíll give them another 3 weeks before I contact them and let them know that I am planing on suing them in small claims court. If anyone is interested, I have several email addresses and phone numbers for people at China Eastern that handle lost bags, compensation and court actions. I had emailed the lady to see if she received her requested information by mail but she has on vacation. In her automated response, she gave me those email addresses and phone numbers. Of course, Iíll keep this thread updated as I press my claim.
Why do you keep wasting your time? Seriously? MU won't care about your small claims court suit, they wont pay you and you'll have worked yourself up into a lather for nothing. You brought batteries through China, they got confiscated, end of story. Take it as a lesson and move on....life's too short.

As someone who flies weekly in China and mostly uses MU, I find the experience frustrating at times but much better than it was 5 years ago and now I prefer MU to most US or EU airlines. Things don't work the same in China as they do in the USA, you've just got to accept this. Lay off the small claims court and get your bro take you to the beach and relax a bit in California.
Old Aug 3, 18, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Iíll give them another 3 weeks before I contact them and let them know that I am planing on suing them in small claims court.
My advice is unchanged since my May posts to this thread; let it go. If you go the distance, you might end up with a check two years from now, but this is a classic case of losing while winning.
If anyone is interested, I have several email addresses and phone numbers for people at China Eastern that handle lost bags, compensation and court actions.
During my 18 month battle with CZ, I amassed similar, but decided not to offer up their contact information because I didn't want to encourage others to follow in my $1 per hour footsteps.

The short of it is that they really don't care. Once you accept this fact, you can sleep easy.
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: