China airlines business class 737

Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down China airlines business class 737

Dear all,

The plane of my flight from Hong Kong to Jakarta changed from an airbus 330 to a boeing 737.
I travel in business class and the flight is almost 5 hours. The 737 seems not so luxury....
What can I expect on a 737 in business class in China Airlines on this flight?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Don't expect anything other than a meal. I don't even think you get PTV w/AVOD.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:23 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Yeah that is pretty tough. The A330 is okay depending on how lucky you get with the type of A330 they put on that day. The business class 737 is well dated and limited because it is designed for short haul.
Also going from an A330 to a B737 should increase the flight time by 20-30mins due to the slower cruise speed.
They are supposed to be ordering A320neo's/ 737Max's which would hopefully give a little better experience..

Also hope HKG- Jakarta flight wont go to 737 for the long term.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by tris06
They are supposed to be ordering A320neo's/ 737Max's which would hopefully give a little better experience..

Ehh, their newer-delivery 737s are configured similarly to their old ones except with the Sky Interior and newer seats (but still no IFE or things like that).

I'd be surprised if they didn't do more of the same with a new set of narrowbodies.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tris06
Yeah that is pretty tough. The A330 is okay depending on how lucky you get with the type of A330 they put on that day. The business class 737 is well dated and limited because it is designed for short haul.
Also going from an A330 to a B737 should increase the flight time by 20-30mins due to the slower cruise speed.

From July 1 it is a boeing 737 instead of an airbus 330......
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Roderik85
From July 1 it is a boeing 737 instead of an airbus 330......
It will stay that way till they further change the schedule.

This plane is now swapped from Kaohsiung instead, so the route is KHH-HKG-CGK rather than TPE-HKG-CGK.
tris06 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
It will stay that way till they further change the schedule.

This plane is now swapped from Kaohsiung instead, so the route is KHH-HKG-CGK rather than TPE-HKG-CGK.
Yes, really bad.... I booked this flight because it would be operated in a widebody airplane.
What can I expect in the boeing 737? Seat? And what kind of meal(s) are served on this route?

I hope you can answer my questions....

Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
This
shows 8 seats so pretty cosy.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck
This youtube video shows 8 seats so pretty cosy.
How likely are they to change planes, or are they usually set for the next year or so? We are flying in August and debating the upgrade. If it’s just slightly larger seats with no IFE then it might not be worth the cost.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:09 am

Yes, really bad.... I booked this flight because it would be operated in a widebody airplane.
What can I expect in the boeing 737? Seat? And what kind of meal(s) are served on this route?

I hope you can answer my questions....

Thanks!
The meal is going to be the same as what 333 offers. There is no difference in terms of that other than coffee. 359/77W have coffee machine while these ones use those powder.

There are no PTV for both classes. You only get an overhead monitor.

Recline is minimal, probably just a tad better than the Premium Economy in 77W. Pitch is like 40" when in comparison to 38" in Premium Economy on 359/77W.

To be honest I won't waste $ upgrading to business.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

The meal is going to be the same as what 333 offers. There is no difference in terms of that other than coffee. 359/77W have coffee machine while these ones use those powder.

There are no PTV for both classes. You only get an overhead monitor.

Recline is minimal, probably just a tad better than the Premium Economy in 77W. Pitch is like 40" when in comparison to 38" in Premium Economy on 359/77W.

To be honest I won't waste $ upgrading to business.
Thanks. That does not sound very attractive.
Do you prefer row 1 or 2? And what can I expect for meal on this sector in business class?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 12:55 pm

Thanks. That does not sound very attractive.
Do you prefer row 1 or 2? And what can I expect for meal on this sector in business class?
If you want more knee space, row 1. If you want to stretch your legs further, row 2. The youtube video above is pretty much it.

Meal? You are usually offered 2 or 3 choices of a main dish and it will be accompanied by an appetizer/starter, bread. Since this flight is long enough I would expect a canape to start off the flight, then fruits and/or ice cream to follow with coffee/tea.

If you want to know in advance what's your main choice, you can visit here: https://calec.china-airlines.com/emenu_dot/get_pnr.aspx

The choices are no different than what you order in flight so there is no reason to order ahead of time. It's not like EVA where there is book to cook.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:26 am
Original Poster

If you want more knee space, row 1. If you want to stretch your legs further, row 2. The youtube video above is pretty much it.

Meal? You are usually offered 2 or 3 choices of a main dish and it will be accompanied by an appetizer/starter, bread. Since this flight is long enough I would expect a canape to start off the flight, then fruits and/or ice cream to follow with coffee/tea.

If you want to know in advance what's your main choice, you can visit here: https://calec.china-airlines.com/emenu_dot/get_pnr.aspx

The choices are no different than what you order in flight so there is no reason to order ahead of time. It's not like EVA where there is book to cook.
Thanks! Really bad they downgraded the plane to a 737.....
Apparently the route is not that popular.
Hopefully the service will make it good anyway.
If you still have tips, I would love to hear that
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:55 am

Thanks! Really bad they downgraded the plane to a 737.....
Apparently the route is not that popular.
Hopefully the service will make it good anyway.
If you still have tips, I would love to hear that
Typical short sited Taiwan decision. They still live in a dream world at CI thinking they are so elite and special and rely totally on Taiwan people buying the fares because they are loyal.
Old May 1, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I didn't realize CI still flies these 5th freedom routes in Southeast Asia. I thought they were all gone.

I remember doing the TPE-HKG-KUL-SIN-HKG-TPE milk run in the A300 back in the early 80s

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.