China Southern in-flight Upgrade Data Point (CAN-LAX)

Old Mar 31, 18, 2:08 am
Original Poster

China Southern in-flight Upgrade Data Point (CAN-LAX)

Hey y'all,

Just wanted to land a data point here for anyone interested. Flew CZ 621 CAN-LAX on China Southern's 777. There were a few available J seats and PE seats. I was originally seated in Y, and was going to up to PE as I was originally told that J was full. After the purser announced there was available seats for upgrade, I inquired and was offered the J seat for 6000 RMB = $924. Took the upgrade, which I thought was fairly reasonable, especially after they mistakenly thought it would be 9000 RMB ~ $1400; plus I really needed the sleep and was suffering from some back pain. They still only provide Y meals with this upgrade, but they still have some plated dishes from J that they serve, such as soup with choice of meatballs, a desert, and a fruit plate. The upgrade happened prior to the plane moving, so I was offered a pre-departure beverage, which was apple or orange juice, or water. A bar was available in-flight, but I didn't make any use of it as I had slept for most of the flight.

If you guys want pictures, let me know. I'll be happy to post or attempt to answer any more questions.
Old Mar 31, 18, 3:37 am

Thanks for that information. All in all, thatís probably a reasonable price for the upgrade. I think the CZ hard product is VERY good on the 777-300 and A380. And the soft product is pretty good...meals donít make that much of a difference to me. My question is...did you find out whether there was an upgrade to first class-and how much was that. I usually travel in J, but would be prepared to pay a premium to upgrade to first class.
Old Mar 31, 18, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bub001 View Post
Thanks for that information. All in all, thatís probably a reasonable price for the upgrade. I think the CZ hard product is VERY good on the 777-300 and A380. And the soft product is pretty good...meals donít make that much of a difference to me. My question is...did you find out whether there was an upgrade to first class-and how much was that. I usually travel in J, but would be prepared to pay a premium to upgrade to first class.
I donít recall them mentioning any open first seats. Iíve heard people seated in J being able to upgrade to F at around $500? But they werenít recent.

I do agree. CZís hard product is nice. It does get a bit warm in the cabin but itís alright. The soft product is good too. I believe the flight attendants on this flight were fairly exceptional as well. They were punctual and attentive. Very kind too. Though the language barrier still exists, theyíre willing to understand your needs the best they can.
Old Apr 3, 18, 6:04 pm

Programs: NZ*G Le Club Accor Platinum
not the same route, but another data point...
Flew AKL - CAN return late last year with CZ. We tried upgrading at check in on outbound but they were charging the full fare difference and advised to ask on-board.
We asked on-board and were able to upgrade J to F for 3000 RMB each - around $480 US each flight.
The lead FA had the prices for each cabin class upgrade written on a piece of scrap paper both times, they ran our credit cards through the machine and moved us up.

We had the 4 F seats for just the 2 of us and a dedicated FA. They still served business class food and drink but we did get full F amenities, including duvet, better pillows, upgraded slippers, amenity kit and pajamas. They also set up snacks and bar service at the front of the cabin.
Old Apr 3, 18, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by 7seven7nz View Post
not the same route, but another data point...
Flew AKL - CAN return late last year with CZ. We tried upgrading at check in on outbound but they were charging the full fare difference and advised to ask on-board.
We asked on-board and were able to upgrade J to F for 3000 RMB each - around $480 US each flight.
The lead FA had the prices for each cabin class upgrade written on a piece of scrap paper both times, they ran our credit cards through the machine and moved us up.

We had the 4 F seats for just the 2 of us and a dedicated FA. They still served business class food and drink but we did get full F amenities, including duvet, better pillows, upgraded slippers, amenity kit and pajamas. They also set up snacks and bar service at the front of the cabin.
Thank you...just the detail I was hoping for. I have a long haul coming up and Bus looks very full...I am looking to treat myself. Iíve flown F before with them....almost no food/drink difference.
Old Apr 20, 18, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by Bub001 View Post
Thanks for that information. All in all, that’s probably a reasonable price for the upgrade. I think the CZ hard product is VERY good on the 777-300 and A380. And the soft product is pretty good...meals don’t make that much of a difference to me. My question is...did you find out whether there was an upgrade to first class-and how much was that. I usually travel in J, but would be prepared to pay a premium to upgrade to first class.
I can add another data point, flew CZ 328 LAX-CAN, A380 on April 5. I asked at check-in about the 'seat upgrade' program, the agent just smiled awkwardly and said no such program exists. Once on board, they made an announcement that their "in flight upgrade program was in effect, speak to a cabin attendant". I was seated in Y and paid ~ 450 one way for the ticket. I waved one over, and she showed me a piece of paper with a handwritten figure for each upgrade option. Approximately $1400 USD for upgrade to J and $1700 to F (she had shown me figures in RMB which I had to convert). No thanks!

However, the rock hard seat made me wish I had done the upgrade after 15 hours. I think that foam compresses after too many uses and definitely needs to be replaced.
Old Apr 20, 18, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
I don't think that upgrade price is worth it but if it's worth it to you, that's all it matters.
Old Apr 21, 18, 5:04 am

While I agree @coolfish...given an initially low fare (probably under 1KUSD), when you considered the total amount paid, I think itís pretty reasonable for lie flat on an overnight transpacific flight. Itís all about the differential. Iím flying Business and if the differential is only USD300 to get to first, Iíll take it every time. If itís 500...it would have to be a 777-300 or the A380...anything more than those numbers is where Iíd drawn my line...but if I was travelling economy, my numbers would be different. USD1700 to first is a steal. On flights from LAX they are suites.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: