Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

China Southern Business Class JFK-CAN-ADL Meal Times/Pattern of Service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Flying CZ bus. class JFK-CAN-ADL outbound, then ADL-CAN-LAX on the return. I've never done a bus. class long-haul like this before, just the 8 hours over to Europe where I always go overnight and sleep the entire way.

Outbound depart JFK 11:15am, then out of CAN on the late flight at 10:15pm. Going back departing ADL at 10:30am, then out of CAN at 9:35pm.

I was wondering what the meal times typically were on these flights so as to better plan my sleep periods, maybe trade-off some meals for more important sleep time, etc. Do they let you eat what/when you want? Any guidance would sure be appreciated.

Thanks!

aa

Last edited by aa777888; Mar 28, 2018 at 10:38 am Reason: Forgot to add
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
On the TPACs, they typically will serve 2 meals. One shortly after takeoff and one a couple hours before landing. Additionally they will serve some sort of noodles/snack mid flight if you ask.

The idea is to give the pax the best opportunity to sleep as they need.

I always fly red-eyes so do not know which meal they will serve when on that outbound of yours. On the return TPAC, it will be main dinner after takeoff and the secondary meal at landing.

You should have no problem though asking for an adjustment to this if you wish.

No clue about the ADL-CAN legs.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

@exwannabe: thanks a ton for the advice. I'll shift my sleep to mid-flight, then.

Last edited by aa777888; Mar 29, 2018 at 3:18 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: IHG AMB/Spire, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I flew JFK > CAN recently and as stated, bigger meal shortly after take off, lighter meal ~2 hours prior to landing. I never asked for noodles or a large snack in between, but there was a bar area open with drinks and snacks where you could help yourself. I think they walked around with a plate of small chocolates and biscuits and stuff at some point. But as mentioned - they try to feed you early and late, so you can sleep the rest of the way.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Thank you @eggzlot!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: IHG AMB/Spire, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by aa777888
Thank you @eggzlot!
no problem. enjoy the flight. After reading a lot of mixed reviews, I was pleasantly surprised. Here is my review: China Southern JFK>CAN and CAN>CHC business class seats review
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by aa777888
@exwannabe: thanks a ton for the advice. I'll shift my sleep to mid-flight, then.
It's different for everyone, but my rule of thumb is just to sleep when you are tired - don't try and pre-set sleep patterns because they often don't work and you can end up worse overall. Trying to force yourself to sleep when you're not tired can mean no sleep, or poor sleep. And trying to stay awake when you're uber tired doesn't really have advantages either. And you never know what's going to happen - there could be turbulence during your pre-determined sleep time preventing you from doing so anyway. Then you arrive tired.

Even if it's just for an hour here or there, if you're tired just snooze away. If you're worried about missing a meal just ask the crew to wake you for the meal service.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Dummy post so I can get 5 posts for URL posting...
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

I started a separate trip report topic:

Trip report: China Southern (CZ) Business Class BOS-JFK-CAN-ADL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.