Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Eastern Airline is terrible

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:47 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by blandy62
That's why I say I said I fly the on domestic flight AND between HKG and china because technically they are international flights.
My bad, I misread your sentence there
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
1) Its a Chinese airline. The flight attendants probably cannot speak English well and therefore can come across as rude. Did you attempt to speak Chinese to them?
2) So if they are trying to speak in broken English, it may come across as rude.
It is fairly rare to find truly "rude" customer service in Asia. And certainly have never see it on any airline.

On the language issue, even if one can not take the time to learn the local language they can make do, Learn to speak Simplified English (that is easy). Understand how hard it is for you to speak Mandarin/Japanese/Thai/.... , and realize they have the same issue talking to you in English.

My biggest issue with the language is that we have to waste 50% of the bandwidth for the endless "please" and "thank yous" that are interspersed almost at random :-)
clubeurope likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:51 am
Suspended

"Good, bad ,wonderful, terrible" are all relative terms. If you like another airline more, you certainly shouldn't fly MU again.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:09 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

The thing is, there's always going to be amazing and relatively terrible experiences with any airline. A one time experience doesn't necessarily justify an airline to be very good, very bad, or even anything in between.

For instance, I've had really bad experiences with BA, and I've had relatively great experiences with BA as well.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:23 am

I can see why the OP can post it, but also see why some things are not totally MU's fault. I just flew with MU from LAX to KIX albeit with a rather long layover in Shanghai. While I checked the flight details of both my LAX-PVG and PVG-KIX flights, all arrived on time, a little early or no more than an hour late. Unfortunately, there was a heavy fog all day while I was at PVG, and I ended up getting delayed 5 hours. While I want to be angry with China Eastern, I recognize weather isn't their fault and service was decent, especially for the price I paid. Now if my return leg falls apart I can go on a tirade, but for now the experience isn't great but not terrible either.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AUCLABruin
...., especially for the price I paid. ...
This.
It sounds like the price is THE factor for you.
​​​​If JAL or NH charge the same price as MU, would you fly MU? I don't think so. But you took a detour with MU and added a backward leg of PVG to KIK, just to save money.
kaka likes this.

Last edited by Mama; Mar 31, 2018 at 9:17 am
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Mama
This.
​​​​If JAL or NH charge the same price as MU, would you fly MU? I don't think so. But you took a detour with MU and added a backward leg of PVG to KIK, just to save money.
I can not speak for the Bruin fan and have never flown either JAL or NH. But I would fly MU over KE even at the same price on flights past ICN.

In C (where I fly) MU has better seats than KE and that is huge. Better schedules (for me) is next up.

Yeah, KE will do a nice job of "presentation". But that matters little little when you have to live in an aluminum tube for most of 24+ hours.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:19 pm

This.
I feel that since I went to KIX, using JAL/NH would be a little unfair, unless I somehow was flying with them TYO and then put to KIX. If for example, if MU and KE/BR had similar times of departure, same layover, and arrival time to KIX, then I would be torn on what airline to choose. I really did like my LAX to PVG flight with MU, I got good legroom, two meals that were alright, free movies/wifi, and checked baggage. If I was flying direct to Shanghai, I would have no issues at all going with MU.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AUCLABruin
I feel that since I went to KIX, using JAL/NH would be a little unfair, unless I somehow was flying with them TYO and then put to KIX. If for example, if MU and KE/BR had similar times of departure, same layover, and arrival time to KIX, then I would be torn on what airline to choose. I really did like my LAX to PVG flight with MU, I got good legroom, two meals that were alright, free movies/wifi, and checked baggage. If I was flying direct to Shanghai, I would have no issues at all going with MU.
I have to admit that, in spite of 10-abreast seating, I really like MU's 77Ws. I was previously a 737/a320 booster because total travel time is 10 minutes shorter, but I now go out of my way to select 77W flights for my PEK trips. CA's bigger planes are also nice, but PEK T3 is a nonstarter for me.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe
It is fairly rare to find truly "rude" customer service in Asia. And certainly have never see it on any airline.

On the language issue, even if one can not take the time to learn the local language they can make do, Learn to speak Simplified English (that is easy). Understand how hard it is for you to speak Mandarin/Japanese/Thai/.... , and realize they have the same issue talking to you in English.
Have you been to China? Some of the worst customer service in the world. The basic attitude is, there are 1 billion people, the customer is replaceable. In resturants you will have to beg waiters to come over sometimes. Very rarely, when a business makes a mistake, do they feel responsble to fix the problem.

On the language issue, an airline, especially an international airline that serves a country that views itself as the center of the world, there is no excuse for front line employees to not speak English well. I have flown on Chinese, Korean, and Japanese airlines, this is a Chinese problem. But working in Chinese education, you understand why it happens. Chinese language instruction is decades out of date, they still teach language in terms of translation. But regardless, if you are a front line employee for China Eastern, you need to speak a reasonable amount of English. You will deal with tourists who have limited international experience and aren’t in the habit of using simplified English. The US3 hire Chinese flight attendants for their Chinese flights, perhaps the Chinese carriers should do the same.
kaka likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I have to admit that, in spite of 10-abreast seating, I really like MU's 77Ws. I was previously a 737/a320 booster because total travel time is 10 minutes shorter, but I now go out of my way to select 77W flights for my PEK trips. CA's bigger planes are also nice, but PEK T3 is a nonstarter for me.
I recently flew CA for the first time on their A320, it was one of the most comfortable rides I’ve had in economy.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I just recently flew MU J for the first time on a TPAC + regional J (CEB-PVG) r/t. Honestly, after reading all the overwhelmingly negative reviews, I was expecting the worst, but was instead pleasantly surprised.

Hard product:
1. It was great. It's a lovely 1-2-1 lie-flat with aisle access for everyone. What else is there to complain about?
2. I was expecting cabin cigarette smoke. Never happened.

Soft product:
1. I was expecting bad service, but that didn't happen either. I highly suspect that most of the complaints about bad service boils down to FAs lacking confidence in English, hence, underdelivering service for non-Mandarin speakers. The moment I switched from English to Mandarin, I actually had pretty good service, as the FAs heaved a sigh of relief. Service wasn't as polished as some of the top products out there, but it is at least comparable with US service. They were fairly proactive. Whenever they saw me awake, they'd walk over and offer me food/drinks.
2. The food was ok. It was perfectly edible. In fact, the lobster thermidor on the LAX-PVG leg was actually pretty good.
3. Their PJs and the slippers (and the bags they came in) are the bomb. Why is this never mentioned in blogs?

For the price I paid (and maybe even a little more), I would definitely fly it again.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by onuhistorian0116

I recently flew CA for the first time on their A320, it was one of the most comfortable rides I’ve had in economy.
Again, the term "comfortable" is relative. What are you comparing CA with? UA? AA? or SQ? all A320?

Last edited by Mama; Apr 8, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:27 pm

I wrapped up my second part of my TPAC flights with MU from TPE-PVG-LAX. Some comments to add to my original views:
TPE-PVG was late for 45 minutes, which was of no issue for me. It appears that many PVG flights after the morning are delayed, so if one is traveling on an exact schedule with no room of delays it is best to arrive/leave PVG before noon to have higher chances of no delays.

PVG-LAX arrived an hour and a half ahead of schedule, which was rather nice considering I was in Y. Service was good on both flights, though the last meal I had before arrival was somewhat bad.

My PVG-LAX flight had many non-Chinese citizens from what I could tell, so MU is really competitive with their price. They did have many things catering to Westerners, such as movies and some meal options.

Overall, my flights with China Eastern were good, and I definitely got a sweet deal for the price paid. I can see why others may take other airlines if the price is similar with MU. However, for when China Eastern is 30% or more in economy compared with other airlines, they are most likely a better, if not best. choice if saving money is a top priority for your trip. I would also say that any savings 10% and under makes MU a harder value unless flight times/layovers work to your benefit, as reviews on other sites have noted that China Eastern left them with terrible flight changes or other issues, and while that probably won't happen to you, the small amount saved will not be worth the hassle. From 15-25% in savings, it it entirely on one to make the call on who to fly with. If one is a member of a FFP in *A or OW, has smaller layovers/nonstops with competing airlines or gets more convenient flight times, then choosing another airline may be better. If one/none of those apply, then MU can be considered as a decent airline in economy to go with.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:50 am

Again, the term "comfortable" is relative. What are you comparing CA with? UA? AA? or SQ? all A320?
Economy in general. I have flown many airlines, US3, both major Korean carriers, ANA, Lufthansa, KLM, Aeroflot, China Eastern etc.

It was notably more comfortable than normal in economy. Plenty of leg room, and a large sturdy chair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.