Philippine Airlines "no show at gate" fee

Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:30 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by s0ssos
So, if you have flow airlines in the US, how do you justify charging fees when there is no cost to the airline? Whoever thinks of that?
First of, I don't have to "justify" any fees of US airlines. I've just stated that the PAL no-show fee doesn't make any sense and should not be allowed..
But to help you understand why this situation is different from US airlines, let me spell it out for you.
US/EU airlines charge for a) perceived value b) cost/opportunity cost incurred
Care to explain what value or cost is associated with a no-show fee for a ticket booked, not checked-in or flown? What value to you perceive?
Any example where a US airline charges a fee without any cost or opportunity cost? Or value some customers might see?
Seat assignment, luggage, food, even printing boarding passes at the airport have either a cost/opportunity cost of value. So do changing tickets, re-depositing miles, etc...
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Fyd
First of, I don't have to "justify" any fees of US airlines. I've just stated that the PAL no-show fee doesn't make any sense and should not be allowed..
But to help you understand why this situation is different from US airlines, let me spell it out for you.
Care to explain what value or cost is associated with a no-show fee for a ticket booked, not checked-in or flown? What value to you perceive?
Any example where a US airline charges a fee without any cost or opportunity cost? Or value some customers might see?
Seat assignment, luggage, food, even printing boarding passes at the airport have either a cost/opportunity cost of value. So do changing tickets, re-depositing miles, etc...
Yes. Paperwork. Bookkeeping.

So, what is a "ticketing" fee? Is there a cost to issue a ticket? Does any customer perceive that as "value"?

I don't understand why you try to justify all the fees airlines charge. What do you mean "opportunity cost"? So if a passenger doesn't show up, and another passenger takes that seat, what is that opportunity cost? The airline gets to charge another customer more money for the same seat?
By your logic the airline didn't do anything for that passenger who didn't check-in. In fact, the airline earned money off that passenger. So why shouldn't the passenger get a full free refund?

And I wonder what you mean by airlines charge for "perceived" value. Are you saying basic economics, supply and demand? The airline charges $5,000 for a ticket between San Francisco and Los Angeles, nobody buys it. Or do you mean the $5,000 is based on the actual cost it takes to run the airplane?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Fyd
I have an even better example. What about dropping the last segment of a flight? What does it cost the airline? Nothing? Why do they charge you for changing a ticket and maybe an additional fare?
Or, even easier, a return segment of a round-trip ticket?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I have an even better example. What about dropping the last segment of a flight? What does it cost the airline? Nothing? Why do they charge you for changing a ticket and maybe an additional fare?
Or, even easier, a return segment of a round-trip ticket?
Ord-dca is higher priced product than ord-dca-phl.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Ord-dca is higher priced product than ord-dca-phl.
I'm not saying it isn't. But logically it costs the airline more to fly you ORD-DCA-PHL then just ORD-DCA.

And here's a win for AirAsia. My friend booked a round-trip ticket, booked another ticket for the first part and didn't fly the outbound. But can still fly the return. Which just makes sense.
Even if a round-trip is priced the same as two one-ways, an US airline won't let you just fly the return. Why?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
My plans have changed and I don't need to take a CEB-MNL flight. The ticket was cheap and I don't expect anything back. Can I just no show this? Or will PAL attempt to charge my card some fee?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
A no show fee is usually applicable if you no show and then later turn up or otherwise approach the airline expecting to be able to use your ticket for travel at another date/time.

If you throw the ticket away and expect nothing further then I would not expect to hear anything else. But if you let the airline know in advance that you want to cancel you *might* get government taxes back, but I am not fully appraised of how this works in this part of the world.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:09 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Just walk away from the ticket, don't call.
While PAL reserves the right to charge you in their CoC, I have never heard them charge anybody, unless as previous poster says, you try to use/change your ticket later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.