Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines Upgrade Possibilities PE to J

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
China Airlines Upgrade Possibilities PE to J

Booked on CI for the first time from CGK to TPE in Premium Economy on the new A350. How does upgrading work on CI, to upgrade from PE to J? Is it even possible?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:17 pm

Pay the fare difference and everything is possible
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:51 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Yes it will be quite expensive. You would pay full price. The airline does not encourage last min upgrades unless people want to pay full fare. 1 way business class would likely cost 500USD or 1000USD return.

Last edited by tris06; Sep 24, 2018 at 8:21 am
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Doesn't seem worth it for a 5 hour flight. Thanks for the info.

Edit to add: I don't have Skyteam Elite status any more, but would that help in any way? Might help other people.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
Edit to add: I don't have Skyteam Elite status any more, but would that help in any way? Might help other people.
If you mean scoring an op-up, forget about it as CI elites are at the top of the list, and even then it's uncommon.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 3:19 am

I have read in a couple of places that if one flies from long distance in PE and has a short flight to connect to then they often get upgraded to J if there is availability. Any truth in that?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by Spider
I have read in a couple of places that if one flies from long distance in PE and has a short flight to connect to then they often get upgraded to J if there is availability. Any truth in that?
When you book it you will see if you are placed in J or Y (or PE sold as Y). It depends what route and fare you book.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:34 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Usually this is how it works.

Premium economy tickets are ticket with 4 different booking codes.

E class: Cheapest Premium economy, You cannot upgrade with points. You also will not get a business class seat on any short haul flight before/after a long haul flight.
A class :2nd cheapest Premium economy, You can upgrade with points. You also will not get a business class seat on any short haul flight before/after a long haul flight.
U class :2nd highest priced Premium economy, You can upgrade with points. You will not get a business class seat on any short haul flight before/after a long haul flight if D class (business class ticket) is no longer selling on the short haul flight. If business class D is still selling then you may get Business class seat on the short haul.
W class :Full priced Premium economy, You can upgrade with points. You will not get a business class seat on any short haul flight before/after a long haul flight if D class (business class ticket) is no longer selling on the short haul flight. If business class D is still selling then you may get Business class seat on the short haul.

We have both booked E class and U class in the past.Concerning U class we used our points about 1 year ago to upgrade the long haul and we were given Business class HKG-TPE as the flight at the time of booking was still selling D class ticket in Business class. However note that U class is usually 300-600 USD more expensive than E class for a return ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.