How to join China Southern "Sky Pearl Club"

Old Feb 13, 18, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

How to join China Southern "Sky Pearl Club"

Upcoming flights in China Southern (CZ) and they aren't part of *A or OneWorld. Appear to have own scheme "Sky Pearl Club". However after filling in the application online, I never get the SMS that is required.
Has anybody done this recently, or have any advice? I don't have a Chinese mobile number, but have tried two other countries mobile and neither seem to work. I suspect the key lies in "International telephone number must fill in the area code." - perhaps I haven't got the right combination. However, given the rest of the website, it might just be dysfunctional...

This is the URL I am using for enrolling: China Southern Airlines - Sky Pearl Club
Old Feb 13, 18, 9:38 pm

They are part of Skyteam. Yes, you will need to add a country code. I got a text with my PIN number, to complete my sign up. Not sure why it isnít working quickly and easily for you. You can ring them..,it will cost you a toll call, but the menu gives you an English option and the operator spoke pretty good English (albeit a little quiet and fast). I rang 2 days ago in the afternoon Chinese time and was through to a person in under a minute.
Old Feb 13, 18, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks might try a call. The phone number text box takes the + out so I converted it to 00 countrycode number but still didn't work. What format did you do the number in?
Old Feb 13, 18, 10:41 pm

I think there could be a language problem. When you selected your country from the drop down box, I think that IS giving the country code. In the type-in box just give your local area code, minus the leading zero, then the local number. Good luck!! If youíre in the UK, why not just give their local office a call?
Old Feb 13, 18, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd try entering the phone number exactly as someone would dial it from China. Unfortunately I can't remember whether they use some prefix to designate an international call, 001 for USA, etc.

BTW, is there a reason you want to join the CZ FF program rather than one of their (SkyTeam) partners?
Old Feb 14, 18, 7:14 am

Programs: LH SEN; CZ GOLD; CC Concierge; SPG PLAT
I made my CZ gold last year by flying 8* J segments. It is pretty good if you are based in CN since CZ has the largest fleet team / good coverage and also MU belongs to the SkyTeam (but I heard that CZ is going to change to OneWorld...). But if you are based in US/EU, I think it is better to choose a local one.
Old Feb 14, 18, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

OK, progress. I entered a UK number without any country code (e.g. number starting with 7) and that sent me the SMS! I had tried this before, but just not using a UK number. I tried calling the local office where I am, but didn't get through. I now have an account. Can't find a way to associate that number with my booking, but will do at checkin.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
BTW, is there a reason you want to join the CZ FF program rather than one of their (SkyTeam) partners?
Interesting. I hadn't really appreciated that Skyteam was an alliance type thing (never having heard of it before). Looking through their website, CZ is the only airline which flies the route I do most often, so I think it makes sense. However, very open to comments and learning. What should I consider, are their other Skyteam partners with better earning rates etc? KLM or Korean would be airlines I might fly with from that list. But realistically I'm not going to be a big Skyteam user (whatever programme), but have 4 decent J legs coming up so didn't want to waste the miles. Perhaps can use for an upgrade on CZ in the future if I fly them again.
Old Feb 14, 18, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by ukflyer1 View Post
OK, progress. I entered a UK number without any country code (e.g. number starting with 7) and that sent me the SMS! I had tried this before, but just not using a UK number. I tried calling the local office where I am, but didn't get through. I now have an account. Can't find a way to associate that number with my booking, but will do at checkin.

Interesting. I hadn't really appreciated that Skyteam was an alliance type thing (never having heard of it before). Looking through their website, CZ is the only airline which flies the route I do most often, so I think it makes sense. However, very open to comments and learning. What should I consider, are their other Skyteam partners with better earning rates etc? KLM or Korean would be airlines I might fly with from that list. But realistically I'm not going to be a big Skyteam user (whatever programme), but have 4 decent J legs coming up so didn't want to waste the miles. Perhaps can use for an upgrade on CZ in the future if I fly them again.
CZ used to have ridiculously cheap upgrades from Bus to First (48,000 miles for long haul)...sadly last year they re-jigged them and they are almost triple that now!!
Old Feb 14, 18, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Where to Credit | Where to Credit China Southern Airlines Flights
ukflyer1 likes this.