FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   How to join China Southern "Sky Pearl Club" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1893830-how-join-china-southern-sky-pearl-club.html)

ukflyer1 Feb 13, 2018 7:56 pm

How to join China Southern "Sky Pearl Club"

Upcoming flights in China Southern (CZ) and they aren't part of *A or OneWorld. Appear to have own scheme "Sky Pearl Club". However after filling in the application online, I never get the SMS that is required.
Has anybody done this recently, or have any advice? I don't have a Chinese mobile number, but have tried two other countries mobile and neither seem to work. I suspect the key lies in "International telephone number must fill in the area code." - perhaps I haven't got the right combination. However, given the rest of the website, it might just be dysfunctional...

This is the URL I am using for enrolling: China Southern Airlines - Sky Pearl Club

Bub001 Feb 13, 2018 9:38 pm

They are part of Skyteam. Yes, you will need to add a country code. I got a text with my PIN number, to complete my sign up. Not sure why it isn’t working quickly and easily for you. You can ring them..,it will cost you a toll call, but the menu gives you an English option and the operator spoke pretty good English (albeit a little quiet and fast). I rang 2 days ago in the afternoon Chinese time and was through to a person in under a minute.

ukflyer1 Feb 13, 2018 10:07 pm

Thanks might try a call. The phone number text box takes the + out so I converted it to 00 countrycode number but still didn't work. What format did you do the number in?

Bub001 Feb 13, 2018 10:41 pm

I think there could be a language problem. When you selected your country from the drop down box, I think that IS giving the country code. In the type-in box just give your local area code, minus the leading zero, then the local number. Good luck!! If you’re in the UK, why not just give their local office a call?

MSPeconomist Feb 13, 2018 10:45 pm

I'd try entering the phone number exactly as someone would dial it from China. Unfortunately I can't remember whether they use some prefix to designate an international call, 001 for USA, etc.

BTW, is there a reason you want to join the CZ FF program rather than one of their (SkyTeam) partners?

chudu17 Feb 14, 2018 7:14 am

I made my CZ gold last year by flying 8* J segments. It is pretty good if you are based in CN since CZ has the largest fleet team / good coverage and also MU belongs to the SkyTeam (but I heard that CZ is going to change to OneWorld...). But if you are based in US/EU, I think it is better to choose a local one.

ukflyer1 Feb 14, 2018 12:15 pm

OK, progress. I entered a UK number without any country code (e.g. number starting with 7) and that sent me the SMS! I had tried this before, but just not using a UK number. I tried calling the local office where I am, but didn't get through. I now have an account. Can't find a way to associate that number with my booking, but will do at checkin.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29414187)
BTW, is there a reason you want to join the CZ FF program rather than one of their (SkyTeam) partners?

Interesting. I hadn't really appreciated that Skyteam was an alliance type thing (never having heard of it before). Looking through their website, CZ is the only airline which flies the route I do most often, so I think it makes sense. However, very open to comments and learning. What should I consider, are their other Skyteam partners with better earning rates etc? KLM or Korean would be airlines I might fly with from that list. But realistically I'm not going to be a big Skyteam user (whatever programme), but have 4 decent J legs coming up so didn't want to waste the miles. Perhaps can use for an upgrade on CZ in the future if I fly them again.

Bub001 Feb 14, 2018 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by ukflyer1 (Post 29416608)
OK, progress. I entered a UK number without any country code (e.g. number starting with 7) and that sent me the SMS! I had tried this before, but just not using a UK number. I tried calling the local office where I am, but didn't get through. I now have an account. Can't find a way to associate that number with my booking, but will do at checkin.

Interesting. I hadn't really appreciated that Skyteam was an alliance type thing (never having heard of it before). Looking through their website, CZ is the only airline which flies the route I do most often, so I think it makes sense. However, very open to comments and learning. What should I consider, are their other Skyteam partners with better earning rates etc? KLM or Korean would be airlines I might fly with from that list. But realistically I'm not going to be a big Skyteam user (whatever programme), but have 4 decent J legs coming up so didn't want to waste the miles. Perhaps can use for an upgrade on CZ in the future if I fly them again.

CZ used to have ridiculously cheap upgrades from Bus to First (48,000 miles for long haul)...sadly last year they re-jigged them and they are almost triple that now!!

Mwenenzi Feb 14, 2018 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29414187)

Where to Credit | Where to Credit China Southern Airlines Flights