Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

China Eastern - Business Class Deal - Too Good To Be True?

Old Jan 23, 18, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

My business partner and I are going to China in March. We are flying into Guangzhou for work, but wanted to fly over to Beijing for a few days at the end of our trip.

I am a bigger guy and I wasn't looking forward to the economy seats...I don't want to be inconveniencing anyone around me. However, the business class fares were too much for what will only be a few hours on a plane.

I was looking at the China Eastern US language site and I saw this strange fare for business class. Literally HALF the other fares. They had it for both flights, so I went ahead and booked it. The flight is on a China Eastern Airbus A330-300 (Guangzhou to Beijing)

Looking at the fare, I see it is indeed marked business class, but but there are letter designations. I see that these line up with the vertical rows.On seat guru, for Business, there is A,C, D, H, J and L. When I booked, I had the option of the full price Business Class seat (J) or the half price (I).

Does anyone know where I is? LOL I read all the fine print and rules...and definitely have the tickets marked as Business Class, but I'm at a loss as to where that row is or how I even validate everything?

Any help?

This shows the two fares I could choose between.

Where is Column I???
Old Jan 23, 18, 11:34 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
J and I are the fare classes, and it has nothing to do with seats. J is a flexible fare while I is a restricted fare.

You have access to any seat in business class even on I fare - nothing to worry about.
Old Jan 23, 18, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Escape! That's a huge help! Still waiting to make sure the payment goes through. I can't figure out why the fare is so heavily discounted. I tried to get several ticketing sites to honor the same price and they told me I was crazy. We shall see! I'll definitely update the thread when I know. Thanks again for your help.
Old Jan 24, 18, 12:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
J is the full-price fare, I is discount fare. How much is the price for this particular China Eastern flight? And what about Air China and China Southern?
Although the price may be relatively low, China Eastern's A330-300s are very old planes without flat bed seats, which China Southern uses A380 with the same route.
Old Jan 24, 18, 1:27 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
I fare being half of J fare does not surprise me because I fare comes with restrictions and fees if you need to make a change.
Old Jan 24, 18, 1:44 am

Programs: DL G, UA G, IHG SA
No surprise. MU sells I fare at a low price all the time, even cheaper than full price economy Y or B. Grab it when you see it.
Old Jan 25, 18, 4:18 pm

Programs: Accor Plat, AA Gold, UA Silv, DL Silv,
Same happened to me with China Southern. I looked at RT to CAN from JFK, which was around ~$3.5k, which was already decent. But I then added a leg into HAN, then the price dropped to ~$2.5k.
Old Jan 27, 18, 9:31 am

MU is quite aggressive with pricing across the board when it comes to the North American market. Not unusual IMO.
Old Jan 29, 18, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Glad to hear it. The price for a roundtrip business class ticket wound up being $665. Granted, these are more like Domestic First Class seats (they recline almost flat, but you're in a 2-3-2 config and not as nice as my China Southern ticket from JFK to Guangzhou.

Couldn't find any other airlines with a deal as good so I snapped them up. The economy offerings were almost the same price.
Old Feb 4, 18, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Yes I've gotten MU JFK-PVG for about $800-ish OW once in a while when they're running promos.
Old Feb 5, 18, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
Yes I've gotten MU JFK-PVG for about $800-ish OW once in a while when they're running promos.
I will say my flight was MUCH cheaper which is why I was kind of surprised. Guangzhou to Beijing, ROUNDTRIP was only $665 bucks per ticket. Booked two of them. Credit card has been charged and flight confirmation shows up on my account...so hopefully it sticks!
Old Feb 6, 18, 12:30 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by homergator View Post
I will say my flight was MUCH cheaper which is why I was kind of surprised. Guangzhou to Beijing, ROUNDTRIP was only $665 bucks per ticket. Booked two of them. Credit card has been charged and flight confirmation shows up on my account...so hopefully it sticks!
JFK-PVG is 6x the distance at only 2.5x the price, I wouldn't say your flight was much cheaper, only that's normal. Often they will throw in a domestic segment in for a free in F, PVG-CTU or PVG-PEK is what I usually choose.

Anyways, don't worry about your flight
Old Feb 6, 18, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
JFK-PVG is 6x the distance at only 2.5x the price, I wouldn't say your flight was much cheaper, only that's normal. Often they will throw in a domestic segment in for a free in F, PVG-CTU or PVG-PEK is what I usually choose.

Anyways, don't worry about your flight
Oh wow, yeah! That's an amazing deal. I didn't see your destination and departure cities. Plus, that China Eastern BIZ for that flight is lot nicer than the smaller aircraft I'm on for the "local" flight. I looked at it to get out to Guangzhou, but found a China Southern for $1,000 less. Not as nice as the eastern, but the price point was right. Great find on your flight!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: