Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on Premium Economy on Asian Carriers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Advice on Premium Economy on Asian Carriers

(Apologies to Mods--I posted this in the Cathay Forum first, but thought it might be more appropriate here. Please delete one or the other if you feel appropriate.)

Was hoping some of you folks might give me your thoughts on Cathay Pacific's Premium Economy products vs. China Airlines and EVA. We will be traveling from SGN to JFK---all airlines have similar prices for our dates of travel and similar travel times. If it matters the layover for China Airlines and EVA are in TPE, the layover for Cathay is in HKG...all are about 3 hours. The China Airlines and Cathay flights are on the same kind of aircraft (A330 from SGN), and then both fly 777 from HKG or TPE to JFK. EVA is 777 on both legs. One thing I saw was that China Air provided business class service from SGN to TPE whereas Cathay and EVA were Premium Economy for the entire trip. My wife and I are both shorter folks--I am 5'6", she is 5'1"---one thing that we thought looked nice/comfortable on China Air is that it looked like all of their Premium Economy Seats had leg rests (like a Lazy Boy) whereas Cathay looked to only have them on the front seats in Premium Economy. For my wife in particular, she sometimes has trouble getting her feet on the standard foot rests because of her height. EVA's seats looked similar to Cathay but I cold not tell for sure. Basically, we are looking for the most comfortable/pleasant option of the two carriers---food is not really a big deal for us, and our needs for inflight service are pretty negligible.

Also, for $900 more per person, we can fly Business Class on Cathay---so that was something we were considering too. Basically, given the length of the flight and the above airlines, is this a reasonable premium to pay for the additional space/comfort?

Thank you very much for your thoughts.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:11 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Wow , if business class all the way is only 900USD return extra per person compared to PE then that is a bargin. usually business should sell about double the price of Premium Economy. Also PE should be around 1.5 times the price of economy.. full fare price comparisons. Plus consider You will get lounge access with that 900USD extra you pay.

If you still want PE and only care about the seat comfort not the service so much then go China airlines as it will have the best hard product out of the 3 at the moment.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
I would take CX Business all the way if $900 is okay for you.

If not, CI Premium Economy + Business trumps. I mean even if it's regional Business it's still Business... especially you don't care about food that much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.