Wiki Posts
Search

Air China Carry-on question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Air China Carry-on question

Hello,

I was just wondering if a backpack counts as a carry-on or if I can bring that in addition to my suitcase? I am assuming that a backpack can be considered as a personal item, but the Air China website says nothing about personal items.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by erdaba
Hello,

I was just wondering if a backpack counts as a carry-on or if I can bring that in addition to my suitcase? I am assuming that a backpack can be considered as a personal item, but the Air China website says nothing about personal items.
hi there and welcome.

Air China allows you to take one item on board with with you, 5kg in weight and measuring 55cm (21”long) x 40cm (15”wide) x 20cm (7”high).

If you have another small item (purse, computer bag etc) you will be fine.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:54 pm

I flew Air China back in May with a large travel backpack and a small backpack, both as carry-on. No problems and nothing was weighed.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Small backpack will go as a personal item on most airlines. Air China most definitely is not known for policing carryon size, weight, or count. If you take any of their flights from cities with popular duty free, you'll see what I mean (Seoul, Tokyo, Hong Kong, etc.). But on a more serious note, I've taken my regular size rollaboard many times which exceeds the weight limit at least threefold if I have a week's worth of clothes with me. Plus a laptop bag on top of it. No one bats an eye, you don't really have anything to worry about. It's still far less than what many of the locals are bringing.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: OZ Diamond
Agree with dvs7310. Have flown CA 15-20 times now and have never been checked nor seen anyone else checked for carry on luggage. Of course, there's a first time for everything, but as long as it'll fit in the overhead compartment and isn't ridiculous/flagrantly overweight, then you should be fine.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
I easily have over 10 lbs of stuff on my carryon flying CA all the time and never have had any issues.
Only flew CA Y once though and there was no gate check.

Rimowa Topas + DSLR + 15" MBP + Clothing is easily 20ish lbs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.