Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Flying Thai Smile and transferring at BKK to China Eastern... a word of caution.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Thai Smile and transferring at BKK to China Eastern... a word of caution.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM

I've never done an international to international transfer before on separate tickets, and am not sure I want to do it again. Anyway, a lesson learned for me.

I had a flight into and out of BKK on China Eastern (MU), but decided to book an add-on trip to REP on Thai Smile. I assumed I could transfer air side via the MU transfer counter on my return and get my boarding pass there since I was traveling with a carry on only. Once I did get there at 1:15 before departure, the MU transfer desk (staffed by Thai employees) told me I need to run to the other side of the airport, clear immigration, check in outside, and come back through security and immigration again.

I would've just booked AirAsia and flew into DMK had I known I could not transfer air side. At the check-in counter outside, they told me if I flew on Thai, it wouldn't have been an issue, but because "Thai Smile is a sort of low-cost airline like jetBlue", I could not do my check in air side. I don't understand the concept of the Thai Smile brand when it doesn't leverage any of Thai's existing agreements and flights were 10% full to REP and 70% full from REP due to a German tour group; why not just fly as regular Thai Airways? Even the Immigration officer was confused as to why I wanted to leave the airport, but I told him I was told I needed to and he told me to hurry. Also, China Eastern is a bit dumb in that they issue online boarding passes, but they are not actually valid for security check and boarding.

I did manage to make it to the gate area prior to boarding, thanks to Sky Priority and speed walking, but I don't recommend it at all.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
This seems to be a common issue with LCCs, it seems they often don't use transit counters in the terminals and instead make people clear immigration in order to check in. If you'd have been transferring to a mainline carrier like Bangkok Airways, you wouldn't have had an issue.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:20 pm

Hi -

This is a common theme across Asia. If you fly on a carrier deemed to be LCC or ULCC, airside "full service" or "mainline" transit counters will not issue you a boarding pass even if you are standing there with your boarding pass form the flight, passport, etc. Their justification for this is that the LCCs are just "point-to-point" .

I just thought it was a way for the legacy carriers to make it more difficult for passengers to use them.

Anyway, I have found this to be the case in BKK, HKG, SIN, KUL ....
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:37 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Not an LCC issue

Originally Posted by dvs7310
This seems to be a common issue with LCCs, it seems they often don't use transit counters in the terminals and instead make people clear immigration in order to check in. If you'd have been transferring to a mainline carrier like Bangkok Airways, you wouldn't have had an issue.
this is not correct. It's not a question of full-service vs LCC, but whether the airlines pay for the transfer service at BkK.
i had the same problem transferring from a full-service carrier to Bangkok Air and back on return. Despite it being one ticket, code share, Bangkok Air wouldn't allow me to transfer directly...
your best bet is to either book all flights on the same airline that does allow transfer (AirAsia only allows on fly-thru) or allow plenty of time to transfer...
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

This is a common theme across Asia. If you fly on a carrier deemed to be LCC or ULCC, airside "full service" or "mainline" transit counters will not issue you a boarding pass even if you are standing there with your boarding pass form the flight, passport, etc. Their justification for this is that the LCCs are just "point-to-point" .

I just thought it was a way for the legacy carriers to make it more difficult for passengers to use them.

Anyway, I have found this to be the case in BKK, HKG, SIN, KUL ....
Good to know for the future. Although having flown Thai Smile I don't understand Thai Airways intentions with the LCC, since the fares aren't actually lower and they provide an actual meal service and drinks as well as a checked bag -- why not just operate as mainline, I don't know as it would've saved some time for me that day.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by idiosyncrasy
Good to know for the future. Although having flown Thai Smile I don't understand Thai Airways intentions with the LCC, since the fares aren't actually lower and they provide an actual meal service and drinks as well as a checked bag -- why not just operate as mainline, I don't know as it would've saved some time for me that day.
Thai LCCs are a bit unique in the market in that way. Nok Air is similar as well, they feel a lot more like a mainline carrier than LCC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.