China Southern - how often do they move flight times?

Old Nov 16, 17, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG AMB/Spire, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
China Southern - how often do they move flight times?

I booked a flight from JFK > CAN > CHC. One reason I picked this flight was for the odd (but interesting) 18 hour layover. I was going to land in CAN at 6am or so and the flight to CHC was not leaving until midnight. I've never been to China so was going to give me a full day to go and explore. I booked this right when the window opened, so ~350 days in advance (using Delta miles) so maybe 9 months ago. I just got a notice today that the flight was changed to leave at 1040am and landing at 3:30, so really a solid 10 hour difference. The connection is at 12:50am, so not worried about the connection but more upset I lost visiting time in China.

I've seen flights move 30-75 mins or so in one way or another, but 10 hours seems like a big chunk. I went to the CZ website and it shows flight 300 to now be 10:40am - is this a new thing moving forward? Do they make these changes and ever revert back?

Anyone have experience with CZ and their flight operations?
Old Nov 16, 17, 9:46 pm

[
Anyone have experience with CZ and their flight operations?[/QUOTE]

Iím doing that route in reverse (and have done it a couple of times). I suspect it will be something to do with routing for the 777-300, which the need to fly that route non stop. JFK-CAN is not twice daily all year round..,it will probably be a change of season. Itís quite late, but not desperately late for such a change. Unlikely to change back again I would think. By way of warning...the much advertised 24 hour visa-free is currently more hassle than usual. The PRC have introduced another step and form in the process. It used to take me 30-45 minutes from the gate to the curb...last 2 times it was closer to 2 hours. Thatís still time to get into the city....about 50-60 minutes by metro, but you will barely have time to see the lights on Canton Tower and maybe have a quick bite to eat. Departure security and immigration is WAY faster than JFK T4 or LAX!! Are you travelling in Economy or Business? Itís a LONG flight in economy!! Business is very good (perhaps you can use DL miles to upgrade that leg...).
Old Nov 17, 17, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bub001 View Post
[
Anyone have experience with CZ and their flight operations?

I am using Delta miles to fly Business. That is why I booked it ~350 days or whatever was the first opening in the availability window. I wanted to get to CHC and its the only route with just 1 stop from JFK to CHC. And doing a "traditional" NYC > West Coast > Auckland or AUS > CHC is NEVER available at a saver level award for any airline. With Delta I was able to do 97,000 for each business class ticket. Sure 17,000 more than the saver of AA or United but AA/United never have saver flights there AND I figured eh, 17,000 extra but I get 18 hours in China, I'll take it. Seemed worthwhile to get 1 stop and 18 hours for another 17,000.

Oh well - all that planning (and hoping) may be thwarted. Sitting in the business class lounge for 8 hours is going to be dreadful. But not sure it is worth the visa hassle to get in/out for just 1-2 hours in the city? We'll see, it is over dinner time, so maybe I'll sing a different story later. I had a private guide lined up to show me and my wife around for the time in the city. Now I'll see if he can adapt it to a dinner/evening tour.

From a business perspective, I thought it made sense to leave that late and land in China in the morning. work all day in the US, hop on a plane and wake up to start your day in China. I figured this was more of a business route vs a vacation route, but maybe I am wrong. It is also right near the start of Chinese New Years, so if anything I would think they would increase loads to get people out there vs cut back.

Last edited by eggzlot; Nov 17, 17 at 9:17 am
Old Nov 20, 17, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
You should be able to get a free hotel room for the long layover:
https://www.csair.com/en/tourguide/t...ccommodations/
Old Nov 21, 17, 4:48 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by eggzlot View Post
Oh well - all that planning (and hoping) may be thwarted. Sitting in the business class lounge for 8 hours is going to be dreadful. But not sure it is worth the visa hassle to get in/out for just 1-2 hours in the city? We'll see, it is over dinner time, so maybe I'll sing a different story later. I had a private guide lined up to show me and my wife around for the time in the city. Now I'll see if he can adapt it to a dinner/evening tour.
You shouldn't need to apply for a visa as China permits visa-free transit in Guangzhou - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_p...4-hour_transit
Old Nov 21, 17, 7:31 am
Original Poster

As noted above the 24 hour visa policy still requires some paperwork I believe when you land and it is not as easy as it used to be. My tour guide has said people with shorter layovers are getting rejected. He emailed me this morning to say he just met a customer/American couple who had a 10.5 hour layover and they were able to make it through. For now, I think I'll stick with doing the tour and forego worrying about the transit hotel. With 18 hour layover I could have done both - here I'll take the tour and find time to sleep on the plane.
Old Nov 22, 17, 2:29 am

Since the hotel is free and 2 minutes walk from the airport, and you can reserve it online in advance, I would still reserve it. The value is not for a sleep, but the shower and place to change in privacy...and leave the bulk of your carry on while in the city. If you end up not using it, youíve lost nothing. I am travelling via CAN in J to JFK at the end of Dec...Iíll keep a careful note of the time I spend at each stage and post here.
Old Nov 22, 17, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bub001 View Post
Since the hotel is free and 2 minutes walk from the airport, and you can reserve it online in advance, I would still reserve it. The value is not for a sleep, but the shower and place to change in privacy...and leave the bulk of your carry on while in the city. If you end up not using it, youíve lost nothing. I am travelling via CAN in J to JFK at the end of Dec...Iíll keep a careful note of the time I spend at each stage and post here.
I'd appreciate any updates on the timing of your trip. For me, I used Delta miles to book the CZ Flight. So my ticket # is 006 (or something) because its Delta vs CZ which would be say #008 (or something else, making up that #). Point is, I called CZ's office in the US and they could not help. They gave me the email and phone # of the transit desk in CAN and they said the same thing, the website nor their local system will allow for me to reserve the hotel in advance because I am ticketed via Delta, not CZ.

The shower and stuff would be nice. My thoughts (and I could be wrong) is we are flying both legs business class. So I'll have plenty of time to sleep and rest on the plane. Its 1 ticket so our bags are checked through, so we will each have 1 carry on bag. And we booked a private tour with a car/driver, so I would assume we could leave a carry on bag in the car when we park and go somewhere. Obviously we'll take passports with us and anything of value as we walk around the towns, but I think our stuff will be secure. Not sure I want to waste time getting the visa, getting the hotel, going to the hotel, dropping stuff off, then having to go back to the hotel to check out to get to through security. If I had 18 hours I would have done that, but since I am down to 10 hours....and I need to plan for at least 1-2 hours to get the visa, and 1 hour of driving into and another hour driving out of the city....getting to the airport 90-120 mins before departure....you can see my time to visit is shrinking.
Old Nov 22, 17, 12:25 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by eggzlot View Post
As noted above the 24 hour visa policy still requires some paperwork I believe when you land and it is not as easy as it used to be. My tour guide has said people with shorter layovers are getting rejected. He emailed me this morning to say he just met a customer/American couple who had a 10.5 hour layover and they were able to make it through. For now, I think I'll stick with doing the tour and forego worrying about the transit hotel. With 18 hour layover I could have done both - here I'll take the tour and find time to sleep on the plane.
I would disagree. Below on the Wiki page was the 72 hour transit thing. I did it twice within 2 weeks in PEK (SVO-PEK-ICN + HND-PEK-SVO), although the 2nd one was involuntary as Air China for some reason cancelled our same day connecting flight out of PEK and moved us to the following day. We had 72 hours bound for ICN and just over 24 from HND. VERY easily managed all at the airport (if not a bit confusing for queueing at times...) This was 1 year ago only too. OK, maybe things have changed, but I can't see it changing that much.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: