Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chinese airport delay times blatant lies?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Chinese airport delay times blatant lies?

Waiting at the airport. First delay was announced without a time. Then one hour, then two hours, now three. The thing is if you do a simple search yahoo already showed the delay at being 3 hours even when the airport monitors were showing one hour. Looking at flightradar the plane had not even left the other airport on its way here when our flight was saying only one hour delayed (that would presume it takes no time to fly here)

This is cz6480

Is this a Chinese airport issue or Chinese airline issue? Or are they inseparable?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:36 am

I’m not sure.

I’ve had flights listed in China as “on time” over an hour past the scheduled departure time. I’ve also had flights listed as “delayed” with no estimation of when they would leave.

If you are in east China or trying to fly to east China, best of luck. One of the great things about living in Kunming, is flights are not not simply delayed because of well reasons.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Let me guess: you are flying on a domestic flight in China?

The Chinese military is reported to control something like 80% of the airspace in China, so the space allotted for civilian use gets very crowded and then flights get delayed.

The staff really do not know when the flight will receive permission to take off. You will see various reason for delays, sometimes ATC, but usually weather, even though it looks fine.

The safest things to do are to book early flights and leave a lot of time for connections.

This is the state of flying in China these days.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1kBill
Let me guess: you are flying on a domestic flight in China?

The Chinese military is reported to control something like 80% of the airspace in China, so the space allotted for civilian use gets very crowded and then flights get delayed.

The staff really do not know when the flight will receive permission to take off. You will see various reason for delays, sometimes ATC, but usually weather, even though it looks fine.

The safest things to do are to book early flights and leave a lot of time for connections.

This is the state of flying in China these days.
Yup, domestic.
I had an overnight layover. Wonder if they would have rerouted me if I had a connection. I was thinking about asking to be put on another flight, cause they have multiple, but I do not know how good they are about pulling bags here
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: AY, GA, SQ, IHG, SPG
Delays happen all the time in China. For both domestic and international flights regardless which airline you take. I have no idea why the delays aren't communicated as early as possible, but rather like you mentioned, as late as possible. First one hour, then another, and another etc. Another typical way is that you board on-time but end up sitting inside the plane at the gate waiting for hours for the push-back. There are some Chinese mobile apps which give additional information about your flight such as take-off queue number etc. Often more accurate than the screens at the airports
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Yup, domestic.
I had an overnight layover. Wonder if they would have rerouted me if I had a connection. I was thinking about asking to be put on another flight, cause they have multiple, but I do not know how good they are about pulling bags here
Traveling with just a carry-on, I have offered to pay to get on earlier flights, and I usually just get a look of confusion, and they say no.

A couple of years ago I had booked VTE-KMG-SHA, and the only option from VTE to PVG was with an overnight in KMG. My China Eastern flight to Kunming arrived on time at about 6PM, and there were still several China Eastern flights to both Shanghai airports.

I tried to get on one of those flights on stand by, and was willing to pay (I was either paying to get home or for a hotel) and it was just a flat no after seeing my ticket.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:53 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Agree with above comments on congested airspace. I aim for longer transit times when flying via China.

Sometimes at the hubs they shuffle aircraft around, so an indicated length of delayed may end up being overstated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.