China Airlines TPE Lounge Closure

Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Hi, Apologies if this is not the right discussion thread here... I am planning to book a flight on CI business class between SYD and NRT, just to try their new 359 on the SYD-TPE leg. However, I can see that the flight from SYD will arrive in T2 and the flight to NRT will also depart from T2 in TPE. I would like to take the opportunity to visit the CI lounge in T1 as I will have a 5 hour connection. My question is : Is it possible to access T1 lounge if arriving and departing from T2 ?.
Thanks for you help !
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by palmanfr
.......Is it possible to access T1 lounge if arriving and departing from T2 ?...........
No problem. T1 and T2 are linked on airside. You can walk between the two or take shuttle tram.
palmanfr likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by TerryK
No problem. T1 and T2 are linked on airside. You can walk between the two or take shuttle tram.

Excellent. Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to trying CI new 350-900 and their lounge in T1 then !
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:56 pm

All - looking forward to upcoming TPEJFK in J, which will depart T2. A few questions specific to the airport/lounges:

1) We are flying in the previous day, DPSTPE and staying overnight in the city. I assume checked bags remain as such, and we don't need to collect them since our connection is <24 hours?
2) TPEJFK departs T2, but our preference is to use the T1 lounge. I assume we can enter security/immigration at T1, enjoy the lounge, then take the train to T2 with a minimum of fuss? Any reason to check in at T2 and backhaul to T1? We will probably be arriving around 1400 on a Saturday.
3) Any other tips welcome. First time transiting TPE, as I usually fly to Bali via HKG or ICN. Excited to fly the 77W, I toured it at the Paris Air Show and was impressed with the interior.

Many thanks - Jamie
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I flew with CI from TPE to BKK in J last month with a 16 hour overnight layover. Your bags will not be checked through on the overnight layover, unfortunately. You will need to pick them up in TPE. However there are lockers you can leave them in if you prefer not to haul them into the city.
The lounge is decent (poor drinks selection) but what really irked me was the lack of fast track security even for J pax. I had to wait almost one hour to get through security. This was at 5:30am.
Perhaps the lines are shorter at other times?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:56 am

Wow, what a blow about the luggage. Out of curiosity, how long a connection WILL CI check bags for?

I may try and switch to CX. Damn.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:52 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
I doubt it is hardly surprising they would keep the luggage checked in for over 16hrs unless it is a forced long stopover and that there was no other option of getting an earlier flight/connecting faster.

Also looking on the CI website it seem they don't sell online the DPS-TPE with onward connections to JFK probably because of this reason of it being long stopover. They do however route on the way back through a 3rd destination before flying to TPE so that the flight arrives back before 4pm and hence can connect to the next flight.

The lounge in terminal 2 for business class passengers is quite average to say the least. However the terminal 1 lounge for business class is a bit better. Drinks not sure but unless you really care about alcohol products like say blue label whiskey then it won't be an issue.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by tris06
I doubt it is hardly surprising they would keep the luggage checked in for over 16hrs unless it is a forced long stopover and that there was no other option of getting an earlier flight/connecting faster.

Also looking on the CI website it seem they don't sell online the DPS-TPE with onward connections to JFK probably because of this reason of it being long stopover. They do however route on the way back through a 3rd destination before flying to TPE so that the flight arrives back before 4pm and hence can connect to the next flight.

The lounge in terminal 2 for business class passengers is quite average to say the least. However the terminal 1 lounge for business class is a bit better. Drinks not sure but unless you really care about alcohol products like say blue label whiskey then it won't be an issue.
This is interesting that they don't sell it. Indeed, it is a Delta-issued ticket. But it also begs the question: since both segments are in the same PNR, will the agent in DPS tag the bags through to JFK? Which begs the subsequent question: if he/she does, will the bags actually make it?

My goal is to change to CX, though I've really been looking forward to trying CI. We're in Bali close to a month, we always bring a ton of stuff back, so the idea of having to retrieve it in TPE, schlep to a hotel, return, check in...it really kills the experience getting home.

Jamie
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
........We're in Bali close to a month, we always bring a ton of stuff back, so the idea of having to retrieve it in TPE, schlep to a hotel, return, check in...it really kills the experience getting home....
You don't need to do that. There are paid luggage storage services, bonded and landside, at TPE airport. You can use bonded service if you don't need to open your luggage. You leave them inside customs hall at bonded luggage desk; i.e. you need to retrieve luggage but only push them for less them 100 feet using free luggage carts. CI will retrieve them next day and send them directly to your flight.

https://www.taoyuan-airport.com/english/arrival_baggage

Last edited by TerryK; Apr 7, 2018 at 5:05 pm
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
You don't need to do that. There are paid luggage storage services, bonded and landside, at TPE airport. You can use bonded service if you don't need to open your luggage. You leave them inside customs hall at bonded luggage desk; i.e. you need to retrieve luggage but only push them for less them 100 feet using free luggage carts. CI will retrieve them next day and send them directly to your flight.
Very helpful. I'm well-traveled, but this is the first time I've incorporated CI into my plans. I was really impressed with the 77W when I toured it at Le Bourget, so figured I would try it.

So, retrieve bags upon landing, push 100 feet, and leave with a service that ensures they make it on my TPEJFK flight the next day? I'm good with that. Reliable? Or am I running a risk?

While I have your attention, since we arrive so late we were thinking of just heading to the Novotel, spending the night, and THEN taking the train into the city for Dim Sum the next morn. Seems easier and less taxing then heading straight into the city upon our arrival at 2100, though I'm tempted to check out the W. We typically fly via SIN or HKG when we visit Bali, both of which appear (to me) to be much more proximate to the city center.

Best, Jamie
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.....So, retrieve bags upon landing, push 100 feet, and leave with a service that ensures they make it on my TPEJFK flight the next day? I'm good with that. Reliable? Or am I running a risk....
It should be fine as long as you present your bonded luggage receipt to CI check in the next day. Those luggage will stay in customs hall restricted area overnight. CI agent needs your receipt to claim them to send them on your flight. Be sure to leave them at "Bonded Luggage" inside customs hall; i.e. before you exit customs. Technically, your luggage never enters Taiwan. There is also a left luggage service which is outside the customs hall.

......While I have your attention, since we arrive so late we were thinking of just heading to the Novotel, spending the night, and THEN taking the train into the city for Dim Sum the next morn. Seems easier and less taxing then heading straight into the city upon our arrival at 2100....
Sounds like a plan to me. As your checked luggage is in customs, you can go to CI check in in the morning to sort out luggage issue before heading to Taipei.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:39 pm

Thanks for this. Indeed sounds like a plan. If we decided to head to the city instead of Novotel, any reason I cant tackle the luggage issue when I return the next afternoon?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...If we decided to head to the city instead of Novotel, any reason I can’t tackle the luggage issue when I return the next afternoon?
No problem. You just need to allow sufficient time so that CI agent has time to take your bonded luggage receipt to retrieve them from customs. You won't be able to retrieve them even if you want to as they are in restricted area. I suggest arriving 90 minutes prior instead of the minimum 45.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tris06
Many airlines will give you a choice whether to retrieve your bags in this situation.

My goal is to change to CX
I would definitely choose CX over CI if I couldn't stay airside for the transfer at TPE. From what I hear, Taiwan immigration can take forever and you're quite a ways from the city. HKG will be so much easier.
jamienbaker likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:48 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
Many airlines will give you a choice whether to retrieve your bags in this situation.

I would definitely choose CX over CI if I couldn't stay airside for the transfer at TPE. From what I hear, Taiwan immigration can take forever and you're quite a ways from the city. HKG will be so much easier.
It really depends on what time of the day and if loads of flights arrive at the same time. Sometimes I have arrived and there were less than 4/5 people in the foreigners line and was through in like 3 mins.
At other times it was like a 10-15 min wait up to about 30mins in extreme cases. Also I find terminal 1 has a better arrivals than terminal 2. So if he is flying in from DPS then that should be terminal 1.

1-3pm check in at terminal 2 should not be overly busy. Usually peak times is like 6-8am and 6-10pm when a load of flights go out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.