FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   Pervasive Crew smoking on China Eastern true? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1873898-pervasive-crew-smoking-china-eastern-true.html)

smitopher Oct 24, 2017 9:12 pm

Pervasive Crew smoking on China Eastern true?

Are the stories about the pervasiveness of crew smoking on China Eastern true?

I have 2 biz class trips purchased on China Eastern in the next 4 months. I LOATH the stench of cigarettes and the stench of smokers.

hayzel7773 Oct 25, 2017 12:16 am

Originally Posted by smitopher (Post 28973190)

I have 2 biz class trips purchased on China Eastern in the next 4 months. I LOATH the stench of cigarettes and the stench of smokers.

Yes, and it smells very bad. Air China and China Southern also have this issue.

It’s disgusting and unsafe but if you ask the FA, they will just tell you they will look around. Useless and stupid.

pandablood Oct 25, 2017 1:46 am

what are you guys talking about? I have yet to see cabin crew or passenger smoke on airplanes even on chinese airlines and I live in China.

The_Bouncer Oct 25, 2017 2:47 am

If this is true, I might start flying Chinese airlines.

hkskyline Oct 25, 2017 5:29 am

Only the cockpit crew I thought?

Ausriver Oct 25, 2017 5:58 am

Originally Posted by smitopher (Post 28973190)

Some cockpit crews do....however i doubt they would open their door soon after smoking. They could be suspended from flying if got reported and some one sitting in the front F/J cabin could be really powerful.

onuhistorian0116 Oct 29, 2017 2:45 am

Sorta related.

A couple of weeks ago I was on a domestic China Easter flight in first class. An off duty pilot was deadheading in the bulkhead row.

He did not properly stow his briefcase, rather than placing it in the overhead bin, he placed on the floor, in front of the empty seat next to him. Also, he reclined his seat. When the flight attendant did her final safety check before take off, she made him move his seat back up, but immediately after she went to her jumpseat in the galley, he reclined his seat again.

If an off duty, in uniform pilot will be so brazen in public view, it wouldn’t shock me if they smoke in the privacy of the cockpit. Also, there is no expectation of them to greet or say good bye to passengers (or even talk to us at all), so they don’t have to open that door at all, while passengers are on the plane.

Laowai Oct 29, 2017 6:54 am

I've seen exactly the same behaviour some years ago on off duty crew on MU. One would think things have changed over the years, but apparently not.

MegatopLover Oct 29, 2017 9:28 am

I flew BKK-PVG-JFK-vv twice this year in J. Seven out of eight flights had cigarette smoke wafting from the cockpit into the cabin. They smoke in there. And they open the door frequently enough that it gets out into the cabin. It's a very real problem. Only way to avoid it is to sit far enough back in the big J cabin on the 77W. If this bothers you, don't fly MU.

alphaod Oct 29, 2017 10:43 am

The smoke detectors in the lavs are fake in China.

jacksonSFO Oct 30, 2017 9:19 am

confirmed

I have flown twice. Once J, you could smell faint cigarette smoke througought the flight. When I flew Y - i didn't notice it. It's the pilots that are smoking as others say.

bluegreentravel Oct 30, 2017 6:13 pm

First hand experience. I know the smell of cigarette smoke, and was not just daydreaming...

username Oct 30, 2017 6:35 pm

All they have to do is to execute one of them to stop this once for all :D

TennisNoob Oct 30, 2017 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by pandablood (Post 28973793)
what are you guys talking about? I have yet to see cabin crew or passenger smoke on airplanes even on chinese airlines and I live in China.

I assume you fly economy all the time? You won't see it, the smoke comes from the cock pit.

Originally Posted by username (Post 28996640)
All they have to do is to execute one of them to stop this once for all :D

Haha but nobody gaf at the moment :D

Bub001 Oct 31, 2017 8:16 pm

I’ve taken plenty of flights in F and J on MU and CZ...never once have I noticed the smell of smoke. Fanatics on flyertalk? That’s quite another matter. If I was THAT fanatical and I thought I smelt smoke once, I wouldn’t fly that airline again. I certainly would not keep flying with them so I could get outraged...unless I was trying to make some kind of point.