Pervasive Crew smoking on China Eastern true?

Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:43 pm

Flew my flights.

I'm SUPER sensitive to cigarette smoke. I hate it. I ask people I interview if they smoke, and if they do, I'm done with them immediately.

I flew LAX-PVG-HKG-PVG-LAX.

I detected no smoke at all on any flights. Not a whiff.
Bub001 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: W/P1.9MM & Charter+ DL Diamond 2.15MM, AA EXP 1.95MM, AS MVP .6MM, O/P .9MM, A/C & S/C
I just flew MU JFK-PVG-MLE-CMB-KMG-PVG-JFK. No smoke smell on any flight. Sat in fwd Business Cabin/First Class on all flights. Did notice smoke smell on several pax as the boarded, but not later.
Bub001 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:11 am

Programs: Delta Slymiles
Hyper sensitive to smoke after I quit 11 years ago.

Certainly smoke towards the 11th or so hour of 15 hour PVG-JFK yesterday. Seat 73H (doesn't get further back than this seat).

Smoke on 3 of 4 long hauls I've taken on MU. (none on short hauls)

Not cute IMO and the fact we never get a gate AT THEIR OWN HUB is kind of off putting.

Bus gate for their flagship 777 service to NYC??? C'mon.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
You wouldn't be travelling to China (or most developing nations) if you had a medical condition so bad any bit of air pollution could kill you.
it's not the air that's my concern it's a lit cigarette and jet fuel that concern me.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
it's not the air that's my concern it's a lit cigarette and jet fuel that concern me.
If there is jet fuel in or near the cockpit, then I'm guessing bigger problems are abound.
Bub001, m.y, cowie and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Smoking was allowed on board until about 10 or so years ago. Cigarettes + jet fuel was never an issue. Disposal of cigarettes was a potential hazard. But mostly it was health grounds that saw it banned.
Bub001 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Mykal
Hyper sensitive to smoke after I quit 11 years ago.

Certainly smoke towards the 11th or so hour of 15 hour PVG-JFK yesterday. Seat 73H (doesn't get further back than this seat).

Smoke on 3 of 4 long hauls I've taken on MU. (none on short hauls)

Not cute IMO and the fact we never get a gate AT THEIR OWN HUB is kind of off putting.

Bus gate for their flagship 777 service to NYC??? C'mon.
Maybe it's happening toward the back of the plane? Could it be in the upstairs crew area, and maybe that vents further back?
cmx likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
I've flown on countless MU flights (mostly LAX-PVG-MNL), and I haven't smelled cigarette smoke even once.

I'm bound to fly MU/FM again (to DEL and BKK) next year, and I would expect those flights to remain similarly smoke-free.
Bub001 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Akiestar
I've flown on countless MU flights (mostly LAX-PVG-MNL), and I haven't smelled cigarette smoke even once.

I'm bound to fly MU/FM again (to DEL and BKK) next year, and I would expect those flights to remain similarly smoke-free.
Crew smoking might be less prevalent now than in years' past, but I would never bank on smoke free flights on MU.
cmx likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Crew smoking might be less prevalent now than in years' past, but I would never bank on smoke free flights on MU.
It might be that I have a terrible sense of smell (or that I've gotten used to cigarette smoke, having grown up around smokers), but in the 21 flights I've had with MU and FM, that's what I've experienced so far.
Bub001 likes this.

Last edited by Akiestar; Dec 15, 2018 at 8:13 pm
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
4/4 of my PVG-BKK-PVG had heavy smoking, particularly noticeable up front and in a narrowbody (737).

2/4 of my JFK-PVG-JFK flights had some smoking but wasn't too noticeable unless if you are sensitive to smell like me.

This was this month (December 2018). No change from previous years. If anything, it was worse than my flights to SIN last year.

Also echoing the previous comments on bus gates for a fully loaded 777-300ER: happened 2 or 3 times for JFK-PVG-JFK. Absolutely ridiculous. Load factors were 90%+.

China Eastern is blacklisted for me for mileage runs. I'll move to Korean Air, which earns 100% MQMs now.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
One out of four of my flight segments had a strong smoke smell. The one that did was a 3-hour flight and I was clock to the cockpit.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Four MU wide-body flights in the last 10 days.
Long haul -- JFK-PVG, sitting in the forward business cabin, a slight smell of smoke for about 10 minutes about 3 hours into the flight.
PVG-LAX, sitting in the second business cabin, no hint of smoke.
Except for the brief instance of smoke, I really like the forward 2 row business class cabin on the MU 777.

Short haul -- PVG-TPE-PVG, no smell of smoke, only 1 business class cabin.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I wonder if those people that haven't smelled smoke have only been flying throughout large and main routes in China such as HKG, PVG, PEK, etc... and not the smaller airports and domestic Chinese flights. I've flown a few times in China and have definitely smelled cigarette smoke in the cabin.

Originally Posted by keitherson
4/4 of my PVG-BKK-PVG had heavy smoking
Love your program enrollments! LOL
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Lintrix
I wonder if those people that haven't smelled smoke have only been flying throughout large and main routes in China such as HKG, PVG, PEK, etc... and not the smaller airports and domestic Chinese flights. I've flown a few times in China and have definitely smelled cigarette smoke in the cabin.
With MU/FM, I've flown PVG-LAX, PVG-LHR, PVG-MNL, SHA-CAN, CAN-NKG and NKG-LAX. Next year, PVG-DEL and PVG-BKK will be added to the mix. With CZ, I've flown CAN-MNL, AMS-PEK, PEK-XMN, XMN-MNL and SZX-NNG.

Again, it might be that I have a poor sense of smell, but I didn't smell smoke in the cabin on any of my flights. Whether that changes will be seen, but I'll keep an open mind.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.