Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pervasive Crew smoking on China Eastern true?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by JumboJet
If my pilot is a heavy smoker on the ground I think I may want him to have a cigarette or two on a long haul. It's not the end of the world.

Of course, I remember when the passengers were allowed to smoke at their seats.

ETA: this seems to be one of those things that is blowing up to be an urban legend
I tend to agree. And coming from China the odd cigarette in the cabin is probably 1/100th the pollution you'd get walking down the street on any given day, not to mention a 'bad' day in Beijing when you can even see more than a few yards.

I have done plenty flights on Chinese airlines long haul and no reports of smoke. It's certainly not an argument I'd be challenging the crew or the security officer over. Which is unlikely to achieve anything. (Passenger smoking in toilet different story.)
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flew China Southern a few years ago, LAX-CAN. There was definitely smoke both ways, and I was pretty far back on an A380.

I'm flying China Eastern in a few months. Hoping for clean air. But it doesn't sound very likely.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by josephstern
Flew China Southern a few years ago, LAX-CAN. There was definitely smoke both ways, and I was pretty far back on an A380.

I'm flying China Eastern in a few months. Hoping for clean air. But it doesn't sound very likely.
Just sit as far back as possible.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Our pilots were smoking yesterday on a Shanghai Airlines SHA-GMP hop. Basically from takeoff to landing. I've got 2 MU long hauls to Europe coming up this month and I assume they'll be smoking on those flights as well. It doesn't bother me much for some reason.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
I've flown 4 longhauls on MU so far this year, and no smoke detected, sitting in the front of the business cabin.
Bub001 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Indeed.
China attitude toward smoking has changed drastically. Sad to see people repeating old cliches without any recent evidence. I guess that it is typical of FT.
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...and-made-error

and here is the proof in the pudding...
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by Bub001
I vowed that I wouldn’t reply to any more of these posts about allegations of smoking. And yet.,,. there are mandatory smoke dectotrs in crew rest areas and in galleys, and in purser stations and several other parts of the aircraft that would activate. The idea that the crew disable these for a smoke and the re-enable them (so that they can be checked at maintenance check) is just unbelievable.
Originally Posted by brunos
Indeed.
China attitude toward smoking has changed drastically. Sad to see people repeating old cliches without any recent evidence. I guess that it is typical of FT.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-44818617

No evidence huh?
kaka likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't imagine that article is correct. If Chinese regulations indeed prohibit flight crews from smoking then one out of every two flight crews is flaunting that rule, if not more.

If it is, indeed, a rule on the books then hopefully this Air China incident gets them to start enforcing it strictly.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I guess some people must be unlucky I’ve never had pilots smoking on any of my chinese flights... at least that I am aware of. And I’d smell it pretty quick.
Bub001 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
If it is, indeed, a rule on the books then hopefully this Air China incident gets them to start enforcing it strictly.
Well CA fired the pilots and reports are their licenses will be revoked. So maybe that will have the desired effect.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Well CA fired the pilots and reports are their licenses will be revoked. So maybe that will have the desired effect.
They will simply replace them with other pilots who also smoke.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Its just a few dangerous airline companies.
they dont care about pax, clearly.

ive had to dispatch these muppets at hkia many moons ago. Literally all cockpits from china smells like crap.
and some saudia.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:13 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I can't imagine that article is correct. If Chinese regulations indeed prohibit flight crews from smoking then one out of every two flight crews is flaunting that rule, if not more.

its just for show and used on foreign entities. Ford just got sued for the mustang brandname, after jordan, adidas, nike, and whatnot
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For my MU flights in the Fall, I'm thinking I'll just bring some Juuls as gifts for the pilots.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:48 pm

Just flew MU 298 (JFK-PVG). I didn't visually see anybody smoking, didn't see any of the crew smoking in the galley between the two business cabins, and there was no smoke visible. However, I definitely smelled cigarette smoke starting after the first meal service and when I was starting to fall asleep (row 12). I got used to the smell and managed to catch some sleep, but I can imagine somebody getting negatively impacted if one is sensitive to cigarette smoke.

I also think I smelled cigarette smoke on MU 501 (PVG-HKG); most of the pax in the J cabin were non-Chinese, so I doubt I was smelling smoky clothes. Again, didn't bother me too much, but smell was noticeable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.