Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

AirAsia or Philappines Air: Kalibo (PH) to ICN Redeye to Catch 10am ICN-JFK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Deciding between AirAsia or Philippines Air on a redeye from Kalibo to ICN to catch a 10am flight to JFK. I'll just have a carry-on but it exceeds the 7lb weight limit so I'm afraid they'll make me check it :/

AirAsia flight is 12:20am lands at 5:35am, which gives 4:30hr connection time. Philippines Airlines flight is 1:40am and lands at 7am. With PR I can book a J ticket.

If I just have 1 bag and pay the bag fees, will PR let a J passenger bring on a ~15kg bag on plane?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: BA CX DL KE OZ*G PR QF QR; SPG IHG MR HH
I recommend Philippine Airlines over AirAsia. Airasia carry on limit is 7kg (not 7 lbs). And PR fares normally come with baggage allowance already, with economy at 20kg (including budget economy) and J at 30 kg. PR doesn't normally check weight of carry-on bags unless they look too heavy. If you are not required to pay extra according to their rules, I don't see why they would bother checking the weight anyway.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:58 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
The chances of AirAsia letting you take a 15kg bag onboard a very, very slim.
If you are flying PAL business and are not checking any luggage, you might be able to take it. If they weigh it, you might want to nicely ask them to make an exception as you are connecting in Seoul. You also have a better shot at interlining your luggage to your connecting flight with PAL. I had a back-to-back ticket with them and BA and they were able (and nice enough) to check my luggage through...
So, I'd also vote PAL on this one...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.