One way from hkg -> SGN - VietJet or Vietnam Airlines?

Old Oct 8, 17, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

One way from hkg -> SGN - VietJet or Vietnam Airlines?

I'm planning on visiting HK and HCM City in December. The ticket is $100 cheaper if flying from SFO -> HKG and SGN -> SFO.

I'd like to ask if I should book the one-way ticket (HKG -> SGN) with VietJet ($95) or Vietnam Airlines ($125)? Thanks!
Old Oct 9, 17, 12:13 am

Vietnam Airlines. The peace of mind is worth $30 (also if you need checked bags, etc)
Old Oct 9, 17, 7:45 am

The 2nd vote for VN Airlines!
Old Oct 9, 17, 7:54 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Definitely VN
Old Oct 9, 17, 10:14 am
Original Poster

@s0ssos, dinhoecotour, ajeleonard.

Thanks and appreciate your replies. Is Vietjet that bad or Vietnam Airlines is that much more reliable?

I'm still debating when to fly to HCM. When do I need to decide, a month or week before the price goes up?

What reputable websites can I buy from?

Thanks
Old Oct 9, 17, 2:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Please continue this discussion as it moves to the Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines forum.

Prospero
Senior Moderator
Old Oct 9, 17, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Originally Posted by se7en_z View Post

What reputable websites can I buy from?

Thanks
For VN you can buy from any of the well known sites, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc. There is also a local version in HK called Zuji and CTrip from China. All are trustworthy booking sites. It's always worth checking with the airline's website itself as well as sometimes they offer prices on their own site lower than they offer other sites.
se7en_z likes this.
Old Oct 9, 17, 10:08 pm

Vietjet isn't bad. It is a budget airline. I've have bad experiences with them cancelling flights within Vietnam, I don't know about international.

Just go to VietnamAirlines' website and book it directly there.
se7en_z likes this.
Old Oct 10, 17, 4:27 am

Everything I have read says avoid Vietjet. When I took a domestic flight in Vietnam last year, I paid an extra $20 for Vietnam Airlines. Several posters on TripAdvisor have written that Vietjet creates dummy schedules with flights they never intend to fly, but they list many nonexistent frequencies to entice passengers to choose them, and as you close on your travel date your flight will be cancelled and you will be place on a flight at a different time sometimes 4-8 hours different than what you originally booked. Of course, if you want to change your booking, you are SOL.

From TripAdvisor:

Untrustworthy airline that will reschedule your flight if it isnt full.
We booked to fly at 12:30 pm, then 2 weeks before they emailed to reschedule the flight for 16:30, which was ok then on the day of the flight they rescheduled a further 3 times, pushing the flight back until 22:40. Luckily we had access to our email otherwise we would have turned up at the airport at 3 pm. We eventually flew at 23:25.
No interest or apology from their staff
and no response to emails.
Rubbish airline- waste of time.
The review above demonstrates a common theme amongst Vietjet reviews. Some even claimed that they paid more money for a specific convient flight time, only to have the flight changed. Basically, when you book with Vietjet you are booking flights that will leave at some point on the day you booked, and unlike say Delta, they don't offer you compensation for a big change in schedule.

I am hardly a full carrier snob, I have flown multiple flights on AirAsia, Lao Skyways (on the Xi'an MA60), EasyJet, Vueling, Frontier, and the now defunct airline called USA3000, and I am booked to fly over the Atlantic on Wow. Until VietJet improves their buinsess practices, I will avoid them. Vietnam Airlines is not that much more expensive, and it is a legit SkyTeam carrier. Also, for domestic travel in Vietnam, the train is not a bad way to go, if you have time. In my experience the train is generally on time, and while it is not comparable to Thai, Japanese, or the high speed trains in China, it is comfortable enough for what you pay. The scenery is beautiful.
se7en_z likes this.

Last edited by onuhistorian0116; Oct 10, 17 at 4:38 am
Old Oct 10, 17, 2:30 pm

Location: JFK based (¯`'•.¸AAdvantage Gold * Delta Silver * Marriott Plat * HHonors Gold¸.•'´¯)
I think there's a 3rd option as well, that's Jetstar Pacific. They're part of the larger Jetstar group (Australian).
Old Oct 11, 17, 12:06 am

I've flown both airlines on the HKG-SGN route.

Vietjet isn't too bad - though I'd personally choose VN at that price difference.

For one, when I flew them, not a single HKG-SGN flight had taken off on-time in the previous month. They were never 'that' delayed - always by between 45 and 90 minutes. Maybe they've added more time to their schedule, but when the route launched they certainly hadn't.

Secondly, on VN you'll get free drinks, a hot meal and of course baggage. On Vietjet you get nothing.
se7en_z likes this.
Old Oct 11, 17, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by dragonmp11a10 View Post
I think there's a 3rd option as well, that's Jetstar Pacific. They're part of the larger Jetstar group (Australian).
Don't fly Jetstar. They are worse than Vietjet.

I'm not sure what you mean to say by "they are part of the larger Jetstar group" because their operations are nothing like the Australian one.
Old Oct 11, 17, 9:47 am
soy

Programs: Rapidly decreasing - BA Silver, O6 *G, HH DIA, Mrr PLT, Assorted debris
The internet is littered with horror stories about Vietjet and Jetstar. This is no contest, fly VN.
se7en_z likes this.
Old Oct 11, 17, 8:30 pm

Programs: no
VN , service better
Old Oct 11, 17, 9:15 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends
Can you redeem Avios to redeem CX? 7,500 Avios

Search this Thread