China Airlines announces nonstop TPE- ONT (Ontario)

Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
On the Escape Lounge Facebook page, they've officially announced their opening in January 7th. Someone asked if they're going to be staying open late night to greet CI guests and they said they're staying open for CI. So, for those not wanting to be stuck on CI's baby lounge, they could head over to Escapes' lounge.

I checked their website, and it seems they're also building a lounge at T4. Perhaps they're doing this in the mean time before ONT gets enough traffic to build that connector between both terminals, and have one centralized lounge for all passengers.

With CBP wait times, they finally updated for all December. For CI they scanned 7959 passengers. So this out of 9846 means that CI 24 had a 83.9% LF for December.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:21 pm

On the ONT AV/Geek Facebook page, some of the workers posted that there was an incident with B-18912 on yesterday's landing (1/1/19). ONT being notorious for its winds, it seems the A359 encountered wind-sheer in the last hundred feet before touchdown that it somewhat slammed it on the tarmac. Out of safety, CI cancelled the night departure until 15:30 today using another A359. At the moment, CI is waiting for mechanics to check the aircraft with special equipment before giving the go ahead, and return to service.
tris06 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:48 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Seems with that timing, they just used the next flight to arrive (from TPE) at 1:30pm the next day and mostly was able to bundle the 2 loads of passengers together (Or did they fly an extra A350 to ONT?) . To be honest it happened at a less busy time considering flying out of ONT will be soft just at the end of the Christmas/New Year holiday and a bit before the chinese new year rush which will increase loading's from the end of January. Hopefully no damage occurred as CI lacks spare A350s if anything else went wrong on their network.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by tris06
Seems with that timing, they just used the next flight to arrive (from TPE) at 1:30pm the next day and mostly was able to bundle the 2 loads of passengers together (Or did they fly an extra A350 to ONT?) . To be honest it happened at a less busy time considering flying out of ONT will be soft just at the end of the Christmas/New Year holiday and a bit before the chinese new year rush which will increase loading's from the end of January. Hopefully no damage occurred as CI lacks spare A350s if anything else went wrong on their network.
I just checked and it seems the mechanics came in and gave the go ahead since last night's flight for TPE went ahead with B-18912.

I was thinking how were they going to put passengers from 1/2/19 since the 1/1/19 flight to TPE had a full load.

Perhaps it was good thing nothing serious occurred or CI would have an issue in its hand since its having full loads from now to mid January to and from ONT.
tris06 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:56 am

Escape Lounge

Over at the closed ONT AVgeek Facebook page, they've posted photographs of the Escape Lounge. It's free to American Express Platinum Members and CI Business passengers.

Entrance

Desk

Bar

Lounge

Newspapers

Over looking the tarmac

Clocks

Restroom inside the lounge.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
What are the lounge hours and do Amex members need to be flying on CI to get in?

Originally Posted by 26volt
Over at the closed ONT AVgeek Facebook page, they've posted photographs of the Escape Lounge. It's free to American Express Platinum Members and CI Business passengers.

Entrance

Desk

Bar

Lounge

Newspapers

Over looking the tarmac

Clocks

Restroom inside the lounge.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
What are the lounge hours and do Amex members need to be flying on CI to get in?
From what's on their page, it mentions its from 4:30am to 8pm, though someone posted in their Facebook page if they're going to keep the lounge open later than 8p for CI passengers, and they said they're going to keep it open for them.

You don't need to be AMEX member and going on CI flight to enter the lounge.

Ontario | Escape Lounge | Escape Lounges | Escape Lounges
bocastephen likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
From what's on their page, it mentions its from 4:30am to 8pm, though someone posted in their Facebook page if they're going to keep the lounge open later than 8p for CI passengers, and they said they're going to keep it open for them.

Ontario Escape Lounge Escape Lounges Escape Lounges
I have Amex Plat, so it looks like I can get in for free even without flying CI - and it's in T2 where UA flies, so now I have a very nice looking lounge option when flying from ONT - good news!
26volt likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I have Amex Plat, so it looks like I can get in for free even without flying CI - and it's in T2 where UA flies, so now I have a very nice looking lounge option when flying from ONT - good news!
And T4 is also getting an Escape Lounge. They're opening it during the Spring for those who fly AA and WN.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:10 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA

Ontario Escape Lounge Escape Lounges Escape Lounges
I wonder if this means after 8pm the lounge will be exclusive for CI flight only?
26volt likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I wonder if this means after 8pm the lounge will be exclusive for CI flight only?
that's what I'm also wondering. If that's going to be the case, we should be hearing soon of CI shutting down their make shift lounge and sending its passengers to escape 's lounge since from the photographs it seems the lounge is somewhat tailored towards CI passengers with having mandarin newspapers and that Taipei clock.

I highly doubt it this is what might be occurring, though the case could be CI shuts down their lounge and the staff who managed it move to manage the escape lounge for the last three hours and shut down at 11pm. Though, They (CI staff) would need to be trained on how to manage it.

Last edited by 26volt; Jan 6, 2019 at 8:09 am
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
My Amex app it shows Escape lounge at T2 is open from 5 AM to 9 PM.

CI23 departs at 10:50 PM so not sure if they will just kick people out.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
My Amex app it shows Escape lounge at T2 is open from 5 AM to 9 PM.

CI23 departs at 10:50 PM so not sure if they will just kick people out.
I have my suspicion the last two hours will be primarily focused for CI passengers. I came across a person in Instagram who is working the lounge, and posted some selected dishes that are primarily focused for CI passengers. They mention, having done a soft opening of the lounge for CI passengers in late December, and the January 7th date was the opening for the general public and those with AMEX membership. It's a pity the link is not working. Though, from what I see the dishes look far better than what Coolfish reported when he went to CI's makeshift lounge late last year.

Last edited by 26volt; Jan 7, 2019 at 8:14 pm
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
I have my suspicion the last two hours will be primarily focused for CI passengers. I came across person in Instagram who is working the lounge, and posted some selected dishes that are primarily focused for CI passengers. They mention, having done a soft opening of the lounge for CI passengers in late December, and the January 7th date was the opening for the general public and those with AMEX membership. It's a pity the link is not working. Though, from what I see the dishes look far better than what Coolfish reported when he went to CI's makeshift lounge late last year.
I'll be there late February and can post new pics if it has not been shared. That's if they keep the same quality.
tris06 and 26volt like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:21 pm

Seems something might be wonky with CI's A350's or the pilots are having issues with ONT's windy conditions since CI again cancelled its night flight out of safety to today @3:50p. The aircraft that was going to be used last night was B-18909. Seems they're going to be using today's TPE arrival B-18902 for the return flight to TPE. Tonight's flight is still on @10:50p with B-18909.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.