Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AIR CHINA 180 degree flat bed seats

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:08 am
Original Poster

AIR CHINA 180 degree flat bed seats

I just booked CA from YVR to BKK and the first segment is on 777-300ER. Seatguru shows these Business Class seats as 180 degree recline flat bed seats.
I am hoping that means they are true flat bed seats, but wonder why they put the 180 degree recline qualifier?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Because some airlines still have seats that are flat but at an angle to the floor (170 degrees, for example.) You will find these types of seats variously called slanty beds and wedgie beds among other names because while the seat can go fully flat, it is at an angel that causes the passenger to slide toward the floor in full flat mode.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
The 180 degrees are on their 772 planes. Unless they do a last minute change you should be fine, the 77s's have full lie flat. It seems to me like your PEK BKK segment will get the 772 or the 737.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Sep 4, 2017 at 10:28 am
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Surely it would be zero degrees to the floor and if angled then e.g. 10 degrees to the floor

180 implicitly refers to the angle of the lower seat part part to the upper seat part, in which case anything less than 180 degrees is by definition not flat (and indeed an angled lie flat is also 180 degrees), making the 180 degrees redundant per the OPs original point

OP the Air China 77W seat is the Diamond seat used by, amongst others, United and American transcon business
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much everyone!
Seems like we will have a nice full flat bed to sleep on.

Now I just have to figure out how to book the complimentary long stopover hotel. Our layover is from late afternoon to the next morning.
This is our first experience so quite excited at the prospect.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by bigenna
Thanks very much everyone!
Seems like we will have a nice full flat bed to sleep on.

Now I just have to figure out how to book the complimentary long stopover hotel. Our layover is from late afternoon to the next morning.
This is our first experience so quite excited at the prospect.
Can you report back on your success (or otherwise!) and the ease...along with a brief report. I am considering them for transpacific in the future.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:42 am
Original Poster

I will let you know how it turns out, but we are not going until early 2018.
Hoping for a smooth flight with minimum delays.
I am going to try today to get in touch with our local Air China office in Vancouver for help in booking transit hotel.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

So, we are back from our trip and happy to confirm Air China did have full flat beds in Business Class. (In this pic, my husband did not have it completely flat). Quite comfortable, although the area where you put your feet is a bit narrow. I am a side sleeper with bent knees so it didn’t bother me at all but might be a bit cramped for someone tall who wants to stretch right out.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

I had read some reviews that the meals were not very good (and worse comments)., so we were pleasantly surprised. This was crab cake with portobello mushrooms and was very good.
Dhamal likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

The flight, the service, the food - no complaints at all. Some of the flight attendants were more personable than others, but all were polite and attentive.
the lounges were good, and on our flight back home we had a long layover in Beijing and managed to get a bit of sleep in one of their sleep rooms in the lounge.
the biggest negative of our whole experience was with the airport staff at Beijing. I know we were in a foreign country and can’t expect perfect English to be spoken and understood, but after a being awake for most of the 24 hours prior, they were the opposite of being helpful in navigating us to the required area for transit passengers. . When we finally did get out of the airport we had no help (to the point of almost feeling we were being ridiculed) in finding the shuttle to our hotel. We stood outside for over an hour in minus freezing weather and finally were directed by a frequent business traveller to the right area.
The Crown Plaza Hotel was comfortable and clean. Breakfast was included, but we left before it was open so they sent up a boxed breakfast to our room.
no problem in getting the shuttle back to the (dreaded) airport!

By the way - we had a wonderful holiday and again want to thank all of you that gave us help here on this forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.