Wiki Posts
Search

AirAsia BIG tier level now I am BLACK

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

AirAsia BIG tier level now I am BLACK

Hi all.

I received an email from AirAsia big informing me that I now at black tier level and apart from saying I get X12 points and can upgrade easier (to what?) It doesn't say much else.

I had no idea BIG had tier levels although I did suggest they do tongue in cheek some months ago in one of their survey's as I see the BIG loyalty programme as pretty much useless so at least you could have status even if there are no real cost to them benefits like upgrades and lounge access etc like proper programmes.

What are the tier levels? Is there only one Lol? What are the benefits?

Edit

I did a quick Google on it. It's called freedom flyer with RED as base membership then you can earn GOLD PLATINUM and BLACK by flying a certain amount of segments in 12 months.

At the moment it seems that you can earn points faster. In my case ×12 but I don't know if that depends on fare types etc.

All in this to me is a great leap forward by AirAsia and it's great to see that they are making an effort with their program. Keep it up.

For a LCC they are leaps and bounds ahead of the rest.

Last edited by ayeaway; Aug 18, 2017 at 1:56 pm Reason: New information
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:36 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
They are certainly making an effort and I like that they keep making improvements to the BIG program.
Now, if they'd actually add some perks for it, like pre-boarding or HotSeats, I might direct more flights to AirAsia...
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:08 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I just found out I'm Platinum.

They announced new lounges that will be available in several locations, too. I saw the add in a few places.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:23 am
Original Poster

I don't think BIG will ever be a how can I call it full fledg program as you see TG SQ EK with free upgrades and lounges etc.

The programme in my eyes is more geared to giving back in points for being a regular customer. Which on my eyes is great because now I can earn enough points to do some useful flights.

Now if they could figure out better or other ways for me to use my points. Tune hotel 14 days booking in advance and a really old school way of doing it just puts me of bothering.

Maybe give a chance to PLATINUM and BLACK to burn some points for lounge or upgrade on AIRASIA X flights.

Just saying but the fact they are doing something is good and as Mr TF said himself he thinks BIG will be worth 5% of the business then maybe they will see the benefits of getting business travel and offering small benefits.

A decent FFP is a massive benefit too an airline and what some say kept QF afloat when it was about to go belly up a few years back.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Just checked in and noticed they have a red carpet check in lane for flex and government officials.

Now if BLACK could use that lane it would be a no cost to AirAsia benefit to me. Just saying.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by ayeaway
Just checked in and noticed they have a red carpet check in lane for flex and government officials.

Now if BLACK could use that lane it would be a no cost to AirAsia benefit to me. Just saying.
Government officials have gotten free food for every flight ever since I can remember. I'll use their checkin Lane if I just need to print a boarding pass.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:30 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
The elite levels earn more points, but he key word is "up to" - promotional fares don't earn any points anymore, but count towards status tiers. For "Red" fliers the reward rate is now 1/3 of what it used to be and less than other lcc programs. Details reviewed here!
If you are flying AirAsia a lot on premium fares, this works out better, but I wouldn't shift business to them. If you want me to fly 50 times, I'd want at least priority check-in/ boarding without paying extra to avoid the worst hassle.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Government officials have gotten free food for every flight ever since I can remember. I'll use their checkin Lane if I just need to print a boarding pass.
Define government official please. Does this mean any government employee (traveling on government business?) or does it mean some designated civil servant of a specific rank (or on some special list) of the Kingdom of Thailand?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:08 am

Thai Government Officials get free food. Sorry, I should have been more specific.

They announce it, in Thai, so that if someone wasn't on their list, they can just show their I'd and, poof, problem solved. The airline doesn't lose face.

Whatever they're doing, it seems to be working. Looking at the schedules, they're up to 18 flights a day from BKK-HKT.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Can check in agents see your status?

Just wondering as if they can not then the very basic level of being able to look after elites is a non starter.

AirAsia seem to wanting to take a peck at the business (on a budget) traveler and the likes of holding onto myself a >50 flights a year.

I do not expect a fan fare maybe just a Hi Mr Ayeaway your a black welcome back and if this flight goes irop we maybe have a look at sorting you out as an elite.

just saying.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:14 am

I've gotten a LOT of red seats and aisles that I haven't paid for over the years. (I've also had my share of middles and last rows, too). So, I think that even though us having status is new, somewhere, they could always see your activity.

In DMK, I have often skipped to an empty checkin agent, clearly in the wrong area. But, they always oblige and check me in, saving waiting 30 mins in line.

So, I'm guessing they can...
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I've gotten a LOT of red seats and aisles that I haven't paid for over the years. (I've also had my share of middles and last rows, too). So, I think that even though us having status is new, somewhere, they could always see your activity.

In DMK, I have often skipped to an empty checkin agent, clearly in the wrong area. But, they always oblige and check me in, saving waiting 30 mins in line.

So, I'm guessing they can...
At CNX if my line is too busy i might venture into the premium flex lane.
Just wonder if they pushed back and i showed my black card what would happen?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:59 pm

No....! Dont do it, lol.
Don't play the DYKWIA game. Don't announce status.

If they ask if you're premium flex, ask them "I'm not sure, for this ticket. Can you check for me?"

If they send you back, you'll know. They'll likely just process your checkin.

My strategy changed a few months ago, with the new boarding by zones process. Then, I would checkin online and hit the government line once at DMK. I'd just ask them to print my boarding pass. Easy enough. Now, the last step I do at the kiosks. Scanning the 2D bar code to get boarding passes is now easy as pie... no humans involved.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:07 am

Hey, was wondering here. did anyone here manage to redeem a ticket during the 11-Nov Promo?
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
so since the middle of the year, as a BLACK tier I've been noticing :

1. Ticket is always "Zone 1" aka Priority Boarding. I rarely purchase seats, so I think this is a perk ? ie: even when seated at 27B, I'd still be able to board the plan along with the Hot Seat guests.

2. Since September 2019, after purchasing my flight and during OLCI I wanted to pre-book a seat (traveling with colleagues) and surprised to find that even though the Check-In website asks for payment and you'd go through the standard processes of entering credit card details, SMS TAC etc ... the card doesn't get charged and the final itinerary (AK emails a new itinerary with same booking number reflecting any changes made) still shows the original booking price with the seat I selected (say 3C is noted as "Auto Selected) even though it was some random 9E before I changed it expecting to pay !

Not sure if the above is a glitch or not, but I have experienced it every time (twice) that I changed seats during OLCI. Selecting the seat during the booking process means you would still have to pay for it.
nisnekmil likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.