Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer desk or not tranfer desk?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Transfer desk or not tranfer desk?

Hi everyone, I'm flying next thursday BCN to HKT via IST with turkish airlines and right after HKT to REP via DMK with air asia.

I have checked baggage in both flights. So, when arriving to HKT (Phuket) I will have to collect my checked baggage, but then, do I have to exit the airport going through thai immigration or could I pass to the transfer desk of air asia and check my baggage there without passing throught immigration?

Thanks a lot!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:49 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, undostres
I am moving your thread to the Other Asia Airlines Forum, where you will find discussions re: Air Asia.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I have no experience with such a routing or with Thailand but my experience is that anytime one is going from an international to a domestic flight you will need to go though immigration/customs. Which is what you are doing.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I have no experience with such a routing or with Thailand but my experience is that anytime one is going from an international to a domestic flight you will need to go though immigration/customs. Which is what you are doing.
Usually yes, but Thailand has a fairly unique system for domestic legs on an international ticket. I don't know if this applies to DMK or not, but if transferring at BKK, actually you go through exit immigration at the domestic airport (HKT, KBV, etc), wait at a departure gate in international departures, then get on the domestic plane from there. (mixing with all the domestic only passengers). Then in BKK you go through a special transit lane for security where they verify your immigration exit stamp and send you on your way to international departures.

For the OP I have a feeling that since you're transferring to Air Asia, you are going to have to enter Thailand and take your luggage over to Air Asia check-in regardless, FD doesn't have any baggage interline agreements listed at all. Then you'd depart either as an international passenger from there or domestic to DMK, depending on the procedure for DMK transits.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
EDIT: My previous post did not read your ITN right.

I do not remember seeing any way to get back to transit after collecting bags in Phuket. I would be almost certain you are going to the groundside ticket windows and back through the main entrance procedure.

Last edited by exwannabe; Aug 1, 2017 at 5:07 pm
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by undostres
Hi everyone, I'm flying next thursday BCN to HKT via IST with turkish airlines and right after HKT to REP via DMK with air asia.

I have checked baggage in both flights. So, when arriving to HKT (Phuket) I will have to collect my checked baggage, but then, do I have to exit the airport going through thai immigration or could I pass to the transfer desk of air asia and check my baggage there without passing throught immigration?

Thanks a lot!
In order to collect your bags you have no choice other than to go through immigration first. Immigration, bags, customs, check in counter, in order.

Incidental, but totally irrelevant in OP's scenario, does FD even offer a transfer desk?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
In order to collect your bags you have no choice other than to go through immigration first. Immigration, bags, customs, check in counter, in order.

Incidental, but totally irrelevant in OP's scenario, does FD even offer a transfer desk?
I 2nd that. You have to go through immigration first. HKT is small, you should be able to exit and re check-in in a short time.

I would be more concerned at DMK. I've never do dom-int there before so I can't tell how long will it take. Just hope you have enough buffer time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.