CZ Business or First

Old Jul 12, 17, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; A3 Gold; Marriott LTT Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
CZ Business or First

Flying CAN-WUH-SVO, same flight number, just a short stop in WUH on A332. There are both Business and First cabins. Im booked in paid Business, which means I can upgrade to First for 20000 Sky Pearl miles (I can open an account and transfer from SPG).

Reading reports on CZ First and Business, its not clear how much better their First is compared to Business. I have heard rather unappealing reviews of CZ and want to minimize the unpleasantness, would First be considerably better on this flight or should I just stick with J and hope for the best?

I understand the ground services are the same for Business and First, not sure about wine choices between classes, or food options. Seats are flat in both Business in First but obviously First is more private.

Thank you for your opinions
Old Jul 13, 17, 5:35 pm

Programs: Accor Plat, AA Gold, UA Silv, DL Silv,
I flew J in May JFK->CAN->JFK and it was perfectly fine. In terms of soft product, it's below the Korean / Japanese airlines, but on par with US airlines (outside of English not being great). Just get a window seat and it'll be fine.

I haven't flown F with CZ, but with mainland Chinese airlines I can't imagine they being a huge improvement from J to F.
Old Jul 13, 17, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; A3 Gold; Marriott LTT Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by Leverage View Post
I flew J in May JFK->CAN->JFK and it was perfectly fine. In terms of soft product, it's below the Korean / Japanese airlines, but on par with US airlines (outside of English not being great). Just get a window seat and it'll be fine.

I haven't flown F with CZ, but with mainland Chinese airlines I can't imagine they being a huge improvement from J to F.
Based on what I'm reading it's what the consensus is. Trying yo justify it for myself as I like to try different First class cabins but also think it may not be worth it. Only differentiator appears to be the seat.
Old Jul 14, 17, 9:35 am

Programs: Accor Plat, AA Gold, UA Silv, DL Silv,
Originally Posted by asnovici View Post
Based on what I'm reading it's what the consensus is. Trying yo justify it for myself as I like to try different First class cabins but also think it may not be worth it. Only differentiator appears to be the seat.
If you're looking to justify, 20k seems like a great deal to bump to F. At least 10 cents a point.

But it seems with emerging market countries, you're either rich or you're poor. So the market caters to that dynamic.
Old Jul 14, 17, 5:13 pm

For 20k miles, why would you not?! CZ First offers MUCH more space, pjs if it's a genuine long haul flight, far superior amenity kit. You'll probably be the only one in F, so easier lavatory access, probably a dedicated flight attendant (unless F is full). Better food (and probably guaranteed meal options). Up to a point it does depend on the aircraft....
Old Jul 14, 17, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME for domestic Chinese flights, at least on narrow body aircraft, CZ offers either business or FC depending on the flight (schedule, number, naturally connecting to international, who knows what determines this), but not both. To me, they're indistinguishable, but IIRC there can be about a US$10 difference in the fare, although this could be a matter of CZ charging more for the more convenient/popular times in their schedule. These comments are based mostly on the PVG-WUH and vv route.

For the long haul flight, of course IFC is much better than business class, but check the tragically funny review of CZ IFC that was posted a year or two ago in the One Mile At A Time blog. It supposedly resulted in some CZ employees being fired.

The question is whether the extra space and perhaps pampering on the flight is worth 20,000 miles to you. I wouldn't expect to see great wines on CZ; they're barely drinkable in domestic FC and are served in extremely small glasses so that after a few sips you must ask the FA for more.
Old Jul 20, 17, 4:06 am
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Main difference between first & business on CZ is the seat. Most if not all of the food & beverage is the same, ditto amenities. Service will be slightly quicker in first too, particularly at meal times.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: