Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Improperly denied boarding or not? Legal question China visa etc.

Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Alaska, Delta

So I was denied boarding this morning by AirAsia for my KUL to SZX flight. I had a subsequent SZX to SEA flight that I then missed. They denied me boarding because I do not have the 10 year China visa. However earlier this month I had entered China through SZX on a 24 hr visa and entered Hong Kong within that time. No problems.

Now correct me if Im wrong but they improperly denied me boarding right? Not only did I not even need the transit Visa as I was staying within the international terminal but the 24hr transit Visa would have applied anyway.

The guy who denied me at the gate didn't know about the SZX 24 hr visa on arrival. Later at the help desk they tried spinning some web about them sending an email out at 4am asking for a transit Visa but I doubt their claim. Am I in the right and do I have any recourse?

Thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
What's your citizenship?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

American
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

To be confirmed, but I find the following on Timatic:

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Holders of confirmed onward air, cruise or train tickets for a max. transit time of 24 hours. Transit incl. multiple stops within China (People's Rep.), with a total transit time of max. 24 hours, is permitted. They must travel to a third country.

Transit without visa (TWOV) is not possible at Fuzhou (FOC), Mudanjiang (MDG), Shenzhen (SZX) and Yanji (YNJ).
Bolding is mine. So the fact that it worked previously may be the actual mistake, not AirAsia's mistake.

GenevaFlyer
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

That changed a year ago or so AFAIK in Shenzhen. There were signs everywhere for transit without visa when I was there in May.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:39 am
Original Poster

http://www.hongdaservice.com/blog/new-free-72-hour-shenzhen-visa-on-arrival-for-foreign-visitors

Not to mention that myself and about 15 other Americans did it a month ago without problems. The problem was air Asia did not know ahout the new policy. Now what do I do?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
As this isn't a trip report I shall move it over to the Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines forum.

Moomba
Moderator: Trip Reports
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:05 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Air Asia is a tough one to get any kind of compensation. It seems your in the right. Unless you can find a local laws that can legally help you to apply pressure I think nothing else will work.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The guy who denied me at the gate didn't know about the SZX 24 hr visa on arrival.
Did you get the name of this guy?

What's your citizenship?
American
America has quite a number of countries on it - incl. Canada, USA, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina ...
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by smattiso
That changed a year ago or so AFAIK in Shenzhen. There were signs everywhere for transit without visa when I was there in May.
That may well be, but if Timatic is not updated, as the system of reference for all airlines, an airline can still refuse boarding based on what is in Timatic.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:07 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
That may well be, but if Timatic is not updated, as the system of reference for all airlines, an airline can still refuse boarding based on what is in Timatic.
WOW, I did not know that. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:27 am
Original Poster

How do I check the latest output of Timatic? Lesson learned I guess to not trust these smaller airlines to know what's what. If this was an American airline I would probably get compensation quite easily. These AirAsia .......s are super shady. Refuse to give names, be recorded, or give a written account. Am I completely hosed here? I did purchase my tickets using a chase Sapphire card do I have protection there?
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Wow - that does sound frustrating. China transit without visa can be an issue - ANA were confused about the concept when I flew with them from KIX, for example. To their credit, they did make an effort to look into it and I flew as booked.

I'm not sure I would have the motivation to pick this battle with AirAsia - the best conceivable outcome would presumably be a refund of the cost of the KUL-SZX ticket?

AirAsia, BTW, are not exactly a small airline - around 190 a/c in service incl. the JV airlines (but excluding AirAsia X and affiliates).

Based on my experience with US majors, I wouldn't expect them to be any better. For example, got once stuck at Boise airport as they couldn't issue my BP for whatever reason (had a paid F ticket and used to have 1K status with them). Missed my connecting flight and had to buy a new long-haul J ticket. I think we ended up getting a refund for the domestic ticket and that was it. And it was a lot of work...

In any case, your experience sounds very annoying.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by smattiso
How do I check the latest output of Timatic?
http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/pass...quirements.htm
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by warakorn

America has quite a number of countries on it - incl. Canada, USA, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina ...
He said American... which means a citizen of the USA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.