Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

CNN: Air Asia pilot urges prayers as 'technical issue' forces turnaround

Old Jun 25, 17, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA

An AirAsia X flight to Malaysia from Perth, Australia, was forced to turn back Sunday after the twin-aisle Airbus A330-300 aircraft began shaking due to what the airline called a "technical issue."

A spokesman for the Perth Airport said, "The pilot identified a technical issue with the engine. The plane turned around and safely landed back at Perth Airport."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/25/asia/a...inkId=39087909
Old Jun 25, 17, 6:10 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
What a way to keep passengers calm.
Old Jun 25, 17, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Just watched the passenger video. The cabin was indeed shaking like a washing machine. The engine nacelle was also shaking.
Old Jun 26, 17, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Just watched the passenger video. The cabin was indeed shaking like a washing machine. The engine nacelle was also shaking.
This video at 1:27 shows exactly what was going on with the engine. Looks quite unusual:

Direct link to the moment when the engine is shown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkAKFx-kc9E&t=1m27s

Last edited by ProleOnParole; Jun 26, 17 at 5:20 am
Old Jun 26, 17, 6:22 am

Programs: OZ & A3 Gold, AZ Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG & Accor Plat
Just wondering - why didn't they land at Carnarvon Airport or some airport nearer by?

Seems like it was much closer than the 1.5 hours it took them back to Perth and the runway is 1,600 meters which is slightly longer than the minimum A330-300 runway length...
Old Jun 26, 17, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Bobdh13 View Post
Just wondering - why didn't they land at Carnarvon Airport or some airport nearer by?

Seems like it was much closer than the 1.5 hours it took them back to Perth and the runway is 1,600 meters which is slightly longer than the minimum A330-300 runway length...
Far north Western Australia is not Europe. The facilities at Canarvon would in no way cope with a 330 just landing let alone a full scale emergency.

Shane and wayno in the back of a ute (pickup) with a fire extinguisher might be a bit overwhelmed. Plus i think the local 20 room motel might have an issue when 350 people rock up looking for a bed.

Best to get to a city and airport that can cope unless it is a stuff this we must get on the ground now situation.

Asking passenger to pray Hmmmmm sounds middle eastern. i do not think you would get that on a more how can i say professional airline with pilots in control.

Last edited by ayeaway; Jun 26, 17 at 9:09 am
Old Jun 26, 17, 9:04 am

Question

I wonder why the faulty engine wasn't shut down.
Old Jun 26, 17, 10:10 am

Programs: Star Alliance
I think the absolute last thing I'd want to hear is being asked to pray (by the pilot no less), that, to me at least implies death is coming and could have possibly caused much more distress than a more professional message reassuring pax they are doing everything they can to land safely.
Old Jun 26, 17, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by chris19992 View Post
I think the absolute last thing I'd want to hear is being asked to pray (by the pilot no less), that, to me at least implies death is coming and could have possibly caused much more distress than a more professional message reassuring pax they are doing everything they can to land safely.
Absolutely. The pilot needs to be reprimanded for his utter lack of professionalism. No way would a major airline captain say this.

So is it safe to assume that initial reports will state the cabin shakes were caused by the engine? Misaligned fan blade?
Old Jun 26, 17, 5:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Plat
Pilot needs to be reprimanded, no question. I think the basics to an emergency as a pilot is to lie to the PAX that everything will be okay.
Old Jun 26, 17, 5:22 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Pilot needs to be reprimanded for his very unusual statement. They are supposed to keep the passengers calm, not make everyone even more scared. It's already scary enough for the pax.
Old Jun 26, 17, 5:35 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
This announcement was indeed wreckless
Old Jun 26, 17, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL G, UA G, IHG SA
Why didn't the pilot shut down the troubled engine?
Old Jun 27, 17, 4:40 am

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
Originally Posted by luek096 View Post
Why didn't the pilot shut down the troubled engine?
He probably did, but when you turn off the engine and you are still flying the blades will still spin simply because of the air passing through it at high speed.
Old Jun 27, 17, 9:02 am

I think the pilot was reckless in making such a statement. I would rather have the pilot lie to me. I read that this is the 3rd engine failure on an A330 in the past 6 months. I wonder if its an issue with the A330.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: