Fiji Airways - No adjacent seats for young family

Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E, EK Blue, QF Gold
Fiji Airways - No adjacent seats for young family

My Mother in law, sister in law and her 1yo and 3yo child travelling on Fiji Airways today. They did their booking through a travel agent and requested bassinet row.

My wife subsequently decided to join them on the trip so I booked her directly with airline.

At checkin they are told no bassinet requested in booking. They then given their seat assignments.

3yo in 16D.
SIL and infant in 19D
MIL in 18K
My wife in 18D. (Seat I preselected when I made booking)

REALLY Fiji Airways?

Why would you place a 3yo by herself 3 rows away from her mother?

Checkin agent not very interested. Told them to see hostess when they board to see if somebody will voluntarily switch seats.

Not a happy group as they went into departures.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:07 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

hello kiwiharry

a bit of a late reply, but I'd say that check-in agents being disinterested is the rule rather than the exception on Fiji Airways. I've seen check-in agents declining their colleagues from redirecting economy passengers to empty business class counters. I'm not sure where you flew from, but coincidentally, I was on a FIJI flight on the same day as you.

In fact, when I checked in for my flight to Singapore, the check-in agent demanded that I show my flight from Singapore to my country of origin (apparently as requested by the govt of SG, although I've never had such experience on other airlines). I didn't have my ticket with me but I had it on my email. With the Nadi International's internet speed, it look quite a while hahaha... they weren't one bit interested to negotiate.

However, in regards to the seating arrangements, why didn't you choose seats online in advance? Fiji does complimentary seating choices...
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Originally Posted by clubeurope
hello kiwiharry

In fact, when I checked in for my flight to Singapore, the check-in agent demanded that I show my flight from Singapore to my country of origin (apparently as requested by the govt of SG, although I've never had such experience on other airlines). I didn't have my ticket with me but I had it on my email. With the Nadi International's internet speed, it look quite a while hahaha... they weren't one bit interested to negotiate.

I'm pretty keen to take the direct flight to Fiji. Have not heard negative comments before - but yet to take those flights myself.

As a frequent traveller, I'm sure you know airlines have the obligation to check your documents. Based on my limited experience, proof of onward travel is always good to have available - I'm very unorganised, but always carry a printout of the whole itinerary.

As for seat assignments - sounds like a bit of a nightmare scenario. Recall booking some cheap tickets on their website last year, and recall seat assignments did not cost extra. Or do I remember this wrong?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:04 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nanyang
As a frequent traveller, I'm sure you know airlines have the obligation to check your documents. Based on my limited experience, proof of onward travel is always good to have available - I'm very unorganised, but always carry a printout of the whole itinerary.
I do agree with the documents check, yet, I've flown in this scenario many many times over the years, and apart from the Fiji Airways flight, proof of onward travel hasn't happened to me before. Well, I guess it never hurts to save tickets offline

Originally Posted by nanyang
As for seat assignments - sounds like a bit of a nightmare scenario. Recall booking some cheap tickets on their website last year, and recall seat assignments did not cost extra. Or do I remember this wrong?
Seat assignments are indeed free on Fiji Airways.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:06 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by clubeurope
hello kiwiharry

However, in regards to the seating arrangements, why didn't you choose seats online in advance? Fiji does complimentary seating choices...
I get the check proof of onward ticket question all the time since I started doing the multi point program award tickets with returns on different carriers.

I also did the advance seat selections on my last Fiji Airways flights and they were honored as booked.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Looks like kiwi_harry abandoned his own thread.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brizone
Looks like kiwi_harry abandoned his own thread.
Ooops. Sorry. As there was no response a week after I posted, I let the thread slip.

I booked my wifes flight online so I did pre-select her seat. All the other members of the travelling party had their booking looked after by my brother-in-law who booked through a travel agent.

On the flight, the person next to my wife swapped seats so as that our 3yo neice was able to sit next to her.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kiwi_harry
Ooops. Sorry. As there was no response a week after I posted, I let the thread slip.

I booked my wifes flight online so I did pre-select her seat. All the other members of the travelling party had their booking looked after by my brother-in-law who booked through a travel agent.

On the flight, the person next to my wife swapped seats so as that our 3yo neice was able to sit next to her.
But did the BIL select seats? Was a group even available?
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
But did the BIL select seats? Was a group even available?
No. He asked travel agent to book them bassinet row, so he entrusted the TA for seating. They booked about 3-4 months before the travel date and I booked my wife about 1 month before travel date. I recall asking him where the others were seated, he said he'd need to check with TA. He got back to me to say that TA was still waiting on airline to confirm bassinet row seating.

As mentioned check-in agent said no such request in the system, so unsure what the exact situation was in that regards.

Not complaining about group not sitting together. Just would have expected as minimum that a 3yo infant is allocated a seat next to an adult member of travelling party.

Got BIL to get onto TA and sort out the inbound journey seating. No problems with the return flight home.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kiwi_harry
No. He asked travel agent to book them bassinet row, so he entrusted the TA for seating. They booked about 3-4 months before the travel date and I booked my wife about 1 month before travel date. I recall asking him where the others were seated, he said he'd need to check with TA. He got back to me to say that TA was still waiting on airline to confirm bassinet row seating.

As mentioned check-in agent said no such request in the system, so unsure what the exact situation was in that regards.

Not complaining about group not sitting together. Just would have expected as minimum that a 3yo infant is allocated a seat next to an adult member of travelling party.

Got BIL to get onto TA and sort out the inbound journey seating. No problems with the return flight home.
Sounds like TA's mistake, not the airlines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.