Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam Airlines: Seat Selection

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Vietnam Airlines: Seat Selection

I'm flying VN for the first time hopping from SGN to PQC at the end of the year.

When I booked my flight I didn't see any option to select seats, have I missed my chance or is it only available at check in?

It's a short flight of an hour so I assume there will be little, if any, refreshments on the trip?

Grateful for advice - thanks.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: VN (PLA/Elite+)
For domestic VN flights it’s not possible to select a seat at time of booking. You will be able to choose your seat at check in.

On such short domestic flights you will only get a bottle of water as a refreshment.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Originally Posted by nam_sg
For domestic VN flights it’s not possible to select a seat at time of booking. You will be able to choose your seat at check in.

On such short domestic flights you will only get a bottle of water as a refreshment.
Thanks for info.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Do you know if advance seat selection permission criteria is a fare type/ family or just a booking class?
If the criteria is a just booking class then which classes permit advance seat selection?

As a data point i had an award ticket on VN booked into x class for Air France miles. I could select seats in AF website but could not on the VN website, a VN agent told me that for this booking class/ service ticket advance seat selection is not permitted.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by Keter
Do you know if advance seat selection permission criteria is a fare type/ family or just a booking class?
If the criteria is a just booking class then which classes permit advance seat selection?

As a data point i had an award ticket on VN booked into x class for Air France miles. I could select seats in AF website but could not on the VN website, a VN agent told me that for this booking class/ service ticket advance seat selection is not permitted.
Seat selection is not permitted on Domestic, but international routes you can except the lower fare. You can select the seat by calling your agent, or AF. Even you purchase ticket with VNA, you cant modify the seat online, it needs to be done by vna office.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by nikkoap92
Seat selection is not permitted on Domestic, but international routes you can except the lower fare. You can select the seat by calling your agent, or AF. Even you purchase ticket with VNA, you cant modify the seat online, it needs to be done by vna office.
OK but what exactly are these lower fares? Specific booking classes or fare family definition is what i am looking for.

Do you know btw what is the issue with online seat selection? IT development pending or sometihng else?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
OK but what exactly are these lower fares? Specific booking classes or fare family definition is what i am looking for.

Do you know btw what is the issue with online seat selection? IT development pending or sometihng else?
Everything below economy standard is not permitted to select seat
https://www.vietnamairlines.com/vn/e...ow/fare-types/

You can check the fare type depending on the departure point, but I think they are all the same,

You may know that VNA is a government-owned airline, and there are many limitations from website, to frequent flyer program,... everything. When you purchase the ticket online, you can select the seat, but you cannot change it later online. But I guess your ticket is not directly from Vietnam Airlines?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:34 am

You can check the fare type depending on the departure point, but I think they are all the same,

You may know that VNA is a government-owned airline, and there are many limitations from website, to frequent flyer program,... everything. When you purchase the ticket online, you can select the seat, but you cannot change it later online. But I guess your ticket is not directly from Vietnam Airlines?
Thanks, but this site does not have the answer I looked for.

Now i had to go through the booking process on VN.com and check fares on Matrix and EF to get what i need: there is a unique mapping between VN fare families and booking classes as of now (some airline like AF/ KL and SU now have flexible and restricted fares in the same booking class with differnt price and rules attached).

Currently all booking classes below Q are considered economy save (i believe these are N, R, T, A E, P, G, X) and hence these are not eligible for advance seat selection. Based on my experience if you book through an agent then you shall be able to select a seat anyways, at least i was able to do that for an X class (award) ticket issued for AF miles.

All classes from Q and above allow seat selection.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:55 am

I am on business now and cannot eve find where to select a seat. It doesn't exist. International.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:06 am

Thanks, but this site does not have the answer I looked for.

All classes from Q and above allow seat selection.
Iam goign business international and cannot find any way to select a seat.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: VN (PLA/Elite+)
If you have booked your ticket directly from Vietnam Airlines you can check here: https://fly.vietnamairlines.com/dx/V...1&locale=en-US

If you have booked your ticket at a travel agency or on an online booking site you can’t select a seat on the VN-Website. You should contact the customer service where you have booked the ticket ... or wait until online check-in is open (24h before departure time).
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:22 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Are SkyTeam Elite Plus members able to select premium seats for free and in advance? I purchased fares that said pre-reserved seats are possible. I've done that on two international flights but not the two intra-Vietnam flights. However, I've only been given choices at the back of the plane.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:11 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by danger
Are SkyTeam Elite Plus members able to select premium seats for free and in advance? I purchased fares that said pre-reserved seats are possible. I've done that on two international flights but not the two intra-Vietnam flights. However, I've only been given choices at the back of the plane.
Wr are on an ‘economy lite’ ticket HAN-DAD tomorrow.

When we checked in at 24 hours only rows 34 and back were available to us.

this is not spelled out in the fare rules but appears to be the case: https://www.vietnamairlines.com/us/e...fare-domestics

then again we paid about $62US for two one way seats so we’ll take what they give us.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
I should have reported back. I, too, could only select far back seats when check-in opened at T-24. However, at the airport, the agents always moved me to within the first three rows of Y.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:48 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by danger
I should have reported back. I, too, could only select far back seats when check-in opened at T-24. However, at the airport, the agents always moved me to within the first three rows of Y.
The best they would do for us was moving from row 34 to row 28. Very full flight though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.