Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines or EVA?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 12:08 am
Original Poster

China Airlines or EVA?

Debating between the two airlines... I'll be flying from SFO to TPE and would like help deciding between the two airlines. If I book through China Airlines, I would book a premium economy ticket and upgrade to J with miles. If flying EVA, I would transfer ultimate rewards and book via United Airlines. Just would like to people's input as far as hard/soft of both airlines. Thank you!
Old May 30, 2017, 4:13 pm

Over the New Year holiday, we flew on EVA from SEA to BKK thru TPE in premium economy. Comfortable seats, nice amenities, decent food and lots of it, very good service. The entertainment system on the 747 on the way over was a little older than the one on the 777 on the way back. Otherwise, nice flights on a caring airline.
Old May 30, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
I always fly EVA over China Airlines.

For the following reasons:

1. Primary points collected on AC / Star Alliance
2. The China Airlines livery that I have been on always were older than the EVA livery.
3. My wife loves Hello Kitty
4. As for food / seats - we found them to be about the same.

Other considerations: when we were flying regularly to Taiwan, that is when China Airlines had a streak of "air incidents". This does affect our decision.

Lastly, you might get a better response to this question if you move this thread to the other Asia forum. (Taiwan does not consider itself to be a part of China)
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:30 pm

You might want to factor in the JACDEC Safety Ranking: in 2017, EVA is #6 while CAL is #60 out of the 60 carriers assessed.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
in J ... not even remotely close ... BR all the way, CA sucks.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:59 am

Another vote for EVA here.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:12 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cfischer
in J ... not even remotely close ... BR all the way, CA sucks.
China Airlines is CI.

Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
You might want to factor in the JACDEC Safety Ranking: in 2017, EVA is #6 while CAL is #6 0 out of the 60 carriers assessed.
You might want to factor in the ride to Taiwanese airports, as many of the taxis have tvs in the front seat. Much less safe than the airlines...
Old May 31, 2017, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
You might want to factor in the JACDEC Safety Ranking: in 2017, EVA is #6 while CAL is #6 0 out of the 60 carriers assessed.
For both safety and service, EVA! Not even close.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold
CI has been much better regarding the safety.
Overall both airlines are putting high standards on the in-flight services so I'll give a push for that.

As for fares, CI is cheaper than BR most of the time for the routes in which both airlines offer. However, BR has more US destinations than CI as of now so...really up to your miles saving plan.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
China Airlines is CI.

You might want to factor in the ride to Taiwanese airports, as many of the taxis have tvs in the front seat. Much less safe than the airlines...
^^^
Take bus or Uber
Old May 25, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
The only place EVA wins are the cooler PJs and better Flight times

Food Quality = Same
Seat - China Airlines wins. The cabins are just gorgeous
In between snacks - CI all the way - great snack selection mid cabin
Service - both are the same and excellent
Lounge - The newer CI lounge is better than the BR lounges. The older lounge not so much.
Timing - B6 usually has more flights and serves more cities
Old May 28, 2018, 8:49 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Like most of the others, I'd say EVA over CI, because EVA offers much more of a superior product than CI. In J, EVA has the better food, service, champagne. The only drawback for EVA for me is their hideous cabin colour choices compared to CI.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
I don't know why many people like CI's fake bamboo interior and the super dimmed light, even for daylight departing flights. CI's new cabin is modern but not "clean" and certainly doesn't give you the bright and airy feeling. However, they will aid in sleeping... from cabin wall coloring to the lighting, they removed blue color components, so it will help get you sleepy even in day time.
Old May 29, 2018, 4:16 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by wlau
I don't know why many people like CI's fake bamboo interior and the super dimmed light, even for daylight departing flights. CI's new cabin is modern but not "clean" and certainly doesn't give you the bright and airy feeling. However, they will aid in sleeping... from cabin wall coloring to the lighting, they removed blue color components, so it will help get you sleepy even in day time.
Sorry I think you will find yourself in the minority with this view. Most reviews praise the new cabins. I don't care if its not real wood. Tell me which airlines do have real wood walls inside their planes? It is nice that it is different from the usual decor.
I found a round trip between Europe and Taiwan In business class very comfortable.

If you asked me the difference between CI and BR 3 or 4 years ago I would say if the same price then BR Would be better In the majority of cases. However the new B777 and A350 which now covers all long hual destinations provide a Superior experience concerning hardware. Also food has improved a bit since 4 years ago. Lounges are just about all updated (last one opens In September)and better than Eva's currently.
Service is Just about the Same.

By the way CI's premium Economy is Also much nicer.
I am sure if Eva brings out a new cabin In the next few years then its definately possible they can overtake CI in comfort.
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
In case people don't know, CI is having book to cook for Business and Premium Business, although the selection is not a lot. You get like 3-5 more choices than what you normally see on board.

I would say unless you care about the Rimowa kit that much (which is only available on a leg now), the difference is not so much between the two these days. I would take CI on their 359 any day over BR's aircraft cause the seats and ambiance is superior in every way. 77W leaves little desire, though not much difference if you are in Business.
tris06 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.