China Southern: Transit Without Visa

Old May 13, 2017, 8:31 am
Original Poster

China Southern: Transit Without Visa

Hello,

I will be flying JFK-CAN-BKK on China Southern with a 3 hour layover in Guangzhou and plan to transit CAN using the 24-hour visa exemption policy. Both legs are on CZ. I have read horror stories of US carriers incorrectly denying boarding to passengers who attempt to transit without a visa. I would hope Chinese carriers would be more familiar with correct application of the policy.

Does anyone have any experience using the TWOV policy with China Southern (or other Chinese carriers)? Thanks.
Old May 13, 2017, 1:24 pm

Location: KUL (MY), ICN (KR), ZRH (CH) or OTP (RO) - or somewhere in between
Programs: OZ, JL
If this is a single ticket and you only really have 3h layover in CAN you will not be making a transit without visa. You will simply have a international to international connection in CAN. When landing at CAN from JFK, follow the signs for transit/connecting flights, you will go through some sort of document check (not immigration) and get a stamp on your onward boarding pass and then you will find yourself in the departure area. No immigration, no security check. CAN is probably the easiest Chinese airport for international to international connections.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by mihaid
No immigration, no security check. CAN is probably the easiest Chinese airport for international to international connections.
Been a few years since I've done INT-INT at CAN but there was most definitely a security check before entering the transit area. Used to be a special immigration lane as well, but fortunately that's gone these days, unnecessary stamps in my passport are never welcome.

My most common and most recent INT-INT in China is PEK and there is certainly no sidestep of security there. Wish there was, I hate China security... nearly everything electronic or with wires in it has to come out into a tray else you greatly risk having them pull it out for you and rescan it while you're standing at the end of the platform and can no longer monitor it yourself.
Old May 14, 2017, 1:34 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I've flown CZ longhaul via CAN several times and confirm that CZ international to international transfer at CAN has no xray or metal detector (unless you have a longer connection and making use of transit hotel provided free by CZ or sightseeing/meeting someone landside). The only check is boarding pass name is checked against passport.
Old May 15, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
I checked in this morning for a flight tomorrow on DL BOS JFK leaving at 7 am and then on CZ from JFK CAN leaving at 11:15 am. The flight is 16 hours and then I have a 20 hour layover before flying CAN TPE and plan on using TWOV.

With this schedule, I cannot print a boarding pass for CAN TPE as I will be in the air on the long flight and not within the 24 hour check-in window.

Do I need a BP or will the receipt showing the onward flight to TPE be enough? Can I check in at the airport 20 hours prior for the CAN TPE leg? China Southern's website does not really do well with my English Surname/Given name. I am hoping I can check in through Delta's site as I did this morning. Thanks for any help.
Old May 15, 2017, 5:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
At JFK if you visit CZ check in desk they should be able to issue boarding pass for JFK-CAN and CAN-TPE.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
20 hours is an awfully long time, you might as well go downtown in which case having the continuing boarding pass becomes irrelevant. You can pass immigration for the 72 hour visa waiver with just a printout of your itinerary showing the next flight.
Old May 16, 2017, 3:48 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by GoBlue5
Hello,

I will be flying JFK-CAN-BKK on China Southern with a 3 hour layover in Guangzhou and plan to transit CAN using the 24-hour visa exemption policy. Both legs are on CZ. I have read horror stories of US carriers incorrectly denying boarding to passengers who attempt to transit without a visa. I would hope Chinese carriers would be more familiar with correct application of the policy.

Does anyone have any experience using the TWOV policy with China Southern (or other Chinese carriers)? Thanks.
You are just doing an international transfer, not using TWOV, just follow the signs to the transfer desk, they will stamp your onward boarding card, or sometimes print a new one, and direct you to departures, really easy!
Old May 16, 2017, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJCNL
You are just doing an international transfer, not using TWOV, just follow the signs to the transfer desk, they will stamp your onward boarding card, or sometimes print a new one, and direct you to departures, really easy!
Thanks, all. Hopefully the people on the ground here in the U.S. recognize that as well.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by GoBlue5
Thanks, all. Hopefully the people on the ground here in the U.S. recognize that as well.
As you are using CZ from the US, they should know how a transfer works at their home base better than a US carrier would!
Old May 17, 2017, 1:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For 20 hours, I would suggest leaving the airport. You're eligible for the 24 hour TWOV.
Old May 20, 2017, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Thanks for the feedback. To close the loop, at the boarding gate at JFK I was given CZ boarding passes, reissued for JFK CAN (on CZ stock) and a new CAN TPE BP even though I was still 30 hours ahead of the CAN TPE flight. Delta originally checked my bags to CAN but while seated onboard prior to takeoff at JFK, an agent came aboard and gave me a new bag claim tag checked all the way through to TPE. I would have preferred to get my checked luggage in CAN but luckily I had an extra change of clothes in my carryon.

I was planning to head downtown but had only 100 Yuan notes and the metro machine only takes 10 yuan notes so I decided to grab some dumpling soup to make change, but then I almost fell asleep in my noodles and it seemed silly to head downtown for a 45 minute metro ride, walk around for 1-2 hours and then take a 45 minute metro ride back. Next week I have just under 72 hours so I will stay downtown.

As others have said, CZ does a nice job of sheparding its customers (at least business class) through customs, accommodations, then the special TWOV lane and to the Pullman hotel.

The only real issue is warm beer onboard. So I just repeatedly asked for ice.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
I think CAN procedures are like this.

INT-INT all airside:
Deplane > go to the INT transfer lane > go up escalator > walk through mini museum > lounge right after museum to the right > most gates to the front.

INT-INT TVOW
Deplane > go to INT transfer desk if you don't have onward BP or proper documents > go to the TWOV lane (normally shorter) > bag claim > customs > In PRC. > Go down to go to Metro.
On the way back
Check-in > Pre-Screen BP stamp > X-rays > Immigrations > airside. **Lines can be long at BOTH pre-screen AND immigrations (which you can't see yet) so factor those in too.

Originally Posted by OB one
and to the Pullman hotel.

The only real issue is warm beer onboard. So I just repeatedly asked for ice.

I think you also need to be over 8 hours to get Pullman, which is very nice.

And you have to repeatedly ask repeatedly for ice or you will get one cube each time even in J.
Old May 27, 2017, 4:05 am

And you have to repeatedly ask repeatedly for ice or you will get one cube each time even in J.[/QUOTE]

LOL....while ice is a bit of an issue on Chinese airlines, I'm guessing you come from the land of "do you want drink with your ice"
Old May 27, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by Bub001

LOL....while ice is a bit of an issue on Chinese airlines, I'm guessing you come from the land of "do you want drink with your ice"
I don't know what land you meant.
The land I came from serves beer cold (and doesn't need to be ice-cold). But 1 cube is not enough to chill your beer from room temp (lukewarm for beer standards) to decent cold.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.