Air Tahiti Nui LAX-PPT-LAX

Old Apr 13, 17, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 4.4 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium
Air Tahiti Nui LAX-PPT-LAX

We are booked in June in J for 15 days in Tikehau and Rangiroa. We did a trip back in 2006, I have a few updated questions:

1. We are booked using DL points and I reconfirm every few months any known issues now that we are getting down to the wire.

2. Luggage weight restrictions. We both have dive bags. If 1 is 20 kilos and the other 23 kilos do I need to balance before we go.

3. We fly DL into LAX should we check our bags through or collect and recheck. We have plenty of time in LAX.

4. We overnight in PPT and go out in the early afternoon. How easy is it to exchange money when we arrive.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 16, 17, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Bumping. Does anyone have an answer.

Originally Posted by hnewman View Post
We are booked in June in J for 15 days in Tikehau and Rangiroa. We did a trip back in 2006, I have a few updated questions:

1. We are booked using DL points and I reconfirm every few months any known issues now that we are getting down to the wire.

2. Luggage weight restrictions. We both have dive bags. If 1 is 20 kilos and the other 23 kilos do I need to balance before we go.

3. We fly DL into LAX should we check our bags through or collect and recheck. We have plenty of time in LAX.

4. We overnight in PPT and go out in the early afternoon. How easy is it to exchange money when we arrive.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 16, 17, 12:50 pm

2. Yes
3. If you can check bags through, do it. Otherwise it is annoying to recollect and then walk them over to the international terminal. Also, the Air Tahiti Nui counter is sandwiched between China Air counters, which are chockful of confused mainlanders.
4. There are ATMs at PPT outside the terminal (across from the taxi stand)
Old May 16, 17, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by morninglemon View Post
2. Yes
3. If you can check bags through, do it. Otherwise it is annoying to recollect and then walk them over to the international terminal. Also, the Air Tahiti Nui counter is sandwiched between China Air counters, which are chockful of confused mainlanders.
4. There are ATMs at PPT outside the terminal (across from the taxi stand)
Thank you!
Old May 16, 17, 10:59 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Not to be a negative Nelly, but I am suspicious of LAX in terms of theft from luggage. I say that having had some items taken out of my wife's bag going YVR-LAX (T4 to T2) - DOH. On this ticket we had a 8 hour layover. Our bags were TSA locked but the theives managed to circumvent the logs (perhaps held TSA keys themselves).

I mention this only as we are headed to the South Pacific as well and there are usually long layovers involved with these flights at LAX before the over water parts to the flights since most leave in the late evening. If you have a dive bag, please take appropriate precautions.

There is reportedly no left luggage at LAX so if you had a long layover, you could potentially claim bags and watch them. It may not be the idea of the best time but it would be better than discovering necessary equipment is missing or stolen.
Old May 17, 17, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73 View Post
Not to be a negative Nelly, but I am suspicious of LAX in terms of theft from luggage. I say that having had some items taken out of my wife's bag going YVR-LAX (T4 to T2) - DOH. On this ticket we had a 8 hour layover. Our bags were TSA locked but the theives managed to circumvent the logs (perhaps held TSA keys themselves).

I mention this only as we are headed to the South Pacific as well and there are usually long layovers involved with these flights at LAX before the over water parts to the flights since most leave in the late evening. If you have a dive bag, please take appropriate precautions.

There is reportedly no left luggage at LAX so if you had a long layover, you could potentially claim bags and watch them. It may not be the idea of the best time but it would be better than discovering necessary equipment is missing or stolen.
Thank you for the advice. That was were my head was anyway but wanted to see if I was over reacting. I guess I am not
Old May 17, 17, 11:08 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
It is a bit of a crap situation. I've gone with sticking good clothes in the carry on rollie and putting the disposable stuff (tired snorkle, toiletries, mask) in the checked stuff passing through there. I don't think there is opportunity on shorter connections but I would be suspect of longer ones over 6 hours.

Travel safe!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: