Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skyteam Elite flying VN (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Skyteam Elite flying VN (2017)

I am flying domestically with VN later this year. Wondering if anyone has any recent experience as a ST Elite or ST Elite+? We're KA ST-E.

In particular wondering whether they recognise ST perks on baggage allowance. With DA we get 2 free bags - I had to call DA before we flew to confirm.

I've tried the same with VA. They said as I'm KA ST-E they should tell me what I can get. KA tells me I must contact VA to confirm they will recognise the benefits. I've tried VA in USA, UK, Australia & Vietnam - they all pass the buck.

The thread below doesn't fill me with any confidence. Anyone had recent experiences?

Skyteam Elite Plus flying VN
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

KA isn't in skyteam.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by coupletraveltheworld
I am flying domestically with VN later this year. Wondering if anyone has any recent experience as a ST Elite or ST Elite+? We're KA ST-E.

In particular wondering whether they recognise ST perks on baggage allowance. With DA we get 2 free bags - I had to call DA before we flew to confirm.

I've tried the same with VA. They said as I'm KA ST-E they should tell me what I can get. KA tells me I must contact VA to confirm they will recognise the benefits. I've tried VA in USA, UK, Australia & Vietnam - they all pass the buck.

The thread below doesn't fill me with any confidence. Anyone had recent experiences?

Skyteam Elite Plus flying VN
Hi and welcome to FT!

By KA I'm guessing you mean Korean Air - and yes, it looks like Viet Nam airlines will offer you the appropriate skyteam benefits.

You can have a look at Viet Nam Airlines' own frequent flyer benefits here: https://www.vietnamairlines.com/ch/e...efits/platinum

and you will see they include a link for 'full benefits' at each level (these show benefits across all skyteam airlines) and a second link to 'skyteam benefits'.

Putting those together, and the length of time Viet Nam airlines has been part of skyteam, and the lack of current reports here on FT about Viet Nam airlines not honoring benefits, I don't anticipate any problems.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. Yes, by KA I did mean Korean Airlines.

I read the same information which suggests VA should honor the benefits but that earlier thread suggested they may not and their customer service didn't fill me with confidence either.

I did subsequently read another post which also suggests VA should honor it (Vietnam Airlines and Baggage). The OP didn't return to report otherwise so maybe we can deduce there will be no problems.

Thanks again. If anyone else has some recent experience - would still be most appreciated!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:35 am

IATA code for Korean Air is KE while KA for Cathay Dragon and indeed, KA isn't part of Skyteam
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PLT, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime PLT
Any update here? I am a SkyTeam Elite Plus (Delta Platinum) and my companion is a SkyTeam Elite (Delta Silver) and we are trying to figure out our baggage allowance on a domestic (CXR-SGN) Vietnam Airlines flight purchased in economy. The website is still not clear on partner benefits when flying VN. I called their US number and they told me to ask Delta. I am waiting for a callback from Delta, but I am not confident that they are going to have any information. Also, I saw in other threads that VN sometimes requires the physical card, I have a digital version of mine that I would be able to pull up on my phone, any experience with that? My companion is more organized than I and has her physical card.

Thanks!

Last edited by SfoDtwFlr; Dec 7, 2017 at 1:09 pm
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:49 am

I've flown VN quite a bit and never got asked for the physical card. I've had to call to get my FFN (Flying Blue) added to my booking, but that's it.
Extra baggage allowance for STE+/STE is 1 bag of whatever weight is allowed for a normal bag on that flight in your fare category. For domestic VN flights that's 20kg in economy, 30kg in business. https://www.vietnamairlines.com/ch/e...ation/baggage/ has the allowable weights.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Le Club AccorHotels
I fly VNA extensively both Domestic & International.
I am E+ with my Flying Blue Gold - never had any issue. VNA follows the rules to the letter.
Domestic - you will get extra luggage if needed (I also find them flexible on weight sometimes), SkyPriority where for immigration & boarding. No lounge access.
Internationally - all perks.

2+yrs ago, I used to complain a lot about VNA which is why I stayed on FlyingBlue. But now with the upcoming changes on FB, I am considering changing to Lotusmiles (VNA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.