Wiki Posts
Search

1 hour turnaround in SGN, possible?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite
1 hour turnaround in SGN, possible?

Not sure if it's the right forum, I'm arriving with SQ to SGN & departing with MH. My flights are within 1 hour of each other & arriving/departing from terminal 2.

- Is 30-60 mns enough to change planes?
- Do I need to reclear security/immigration?
- How big is Terminal 2?

Many thanks for your help.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Is that on one ticket or 2 separate ? If the former, yes it is feasible. If the latter, forget about it as it is too risky. You will have to go through security but not through immigration as it is int'l to int'l. There is only one channel for security for connecting pax, so there can be either nobody or a semi-long line, but you should be fine if all on one PNR (try to be seated as much as possible in the front on the SQ flight).
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Is that on one ticket or 2 separate ? If the former, yes it is feasible. If the latter, forget about it as it is too risky. You will have to go through security but not through immigration as it is int'l to int'l. There is only one channel for security for connecting pax, so there can be either nobody or a semi-long line, but you should be fine if all on one PNR (try to be seated as much as possible in the front on the SQ flight).
In addition to sitting near the front, move fast!

There is not a lot of I-I traffic at SGN, so a good bit of any line will be the people ahead of you on your flight. You likely can pass many and save critical time on the walk to transit security.

Agree with Gold about separate tickets, that would be a big mistake for many reasons.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

2 separate tickets sadly. So every connecting pax has to reclear security then. It wont help if I already have my boarding passes? I really didn't expect SGN to be a problenatic airport to transit through.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 1:19 am

Separate tickets and no carry on i still would never do it at Singapore let alone in ho chi Minh.
good luck because you will need it
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firemansam
Separate tickets and no carry on i still would never do it at Singapore let alone in ho chi Minh.
good luck because you will need it
I do have a carry on. I agree however that it is a risky itinerary unfortunately since I'm coming from Europe it's a back to back flying for me. I may look for an alternative just in case.

for arguments sake the supposing my flight arrives on time and that I am the first off the plane. What are my chances to make my connecting flight & what do I have to do exactly aside from reclearing security? How much walking time should I expect?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
2 separate tickets sadly. So every connecting pax has to reclear security then. It wont help if I already have my boarding passes? I really didn't expect SGN to be a problenatic airport to transit through.
Having the BP or not is not the problem. You have to go through security again and that's not what makes an airport difficult to transit through. SGN int'l to int'l is very easy and if there is nobody at security, you can make a connection in less than 30 min gate-to-gate. Your problem is the 2 separate tickets meaning that if your incoming flight is late, you're not protected and you will be a no-show for the 2nd flight. The 2nd airline has no obligation to rebook you and so you will have to buy a new last-minute ticket which will be very expensive.
Other things to consider :
- carry-ons only or checked bags ? If checked bags and if the 1st airline refuses to check them until final destination, you have to claim bags in SGN, go landside and re-check. So you need to schedule plenty of time for that (including passing immigration twice)
- what is your citizenship ? Your profile says you are based in CDG (like me ). If you are French, then you can travel on 2 separate tickets because we (French) do not need anymore a visa to enter Vietnam (for a 2 weeks stay max). If you are a citizen from a country requiring a visa for Vietnam, when you travel on 2 tickets, the 1st airline will not let you board their flight to SGN without the proper visa in your passport. Indeed for them you just fly to Vietnam and not connecting onward and so they cannot let you board.

So overall, your case is a no go for me as way too risky. When traveling on separate tickets (which is unavoidable in some circumstances), it is always safe to schedule 3hrs between flights.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

for arguments sake the supposing my flight arrives on time and that I am the first off the plane. What are my chances to make my connecting flight & what do I have to do exactly aside from reclearing security?
If flight on-time and 1st off plane and no or few people at security, you can make it. But things do not always turn as we expect.
Aside from going through security, nothing else to do. Just walk to your gate.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Merci mon ami!! Yup French guy with french passport and i will be checking any bags.

is there a fast track for security if flying Business class?
​​​
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
No chance. Your "being French" discount is also not enough to cover giving yourself 30-60 minutes, a highly likely misconnect as MH counters close 40 minutes before departure. There is NO air-side transit in Vietnam.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashkale
No chance. Your "being French" discount is also not enough to cover giving yourself 30-60 minutes, a highly likely misconnect as MH counters close 40 minutes before departure. There is NO air-side transit in Vietnam.
the good news is I dont need to go to the MH counters as I'll have my BP with me and no checked bag
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:27 am
Suspended

the good news is I dont need to go to the MH counters as I'll have my BP with me and no checked bag
Dont count on having the BP..
no checked bag makes it better but still is tight.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Dont count on having the BP..
no checked bag makes it better but still is tight.
So hypothetical question.

What if I arrive on the inbound MH flight on a separate PNR & booked on the same return flight with another PNR, what happens then? Do I still need to do the whole transit thing despite the fact that the inbound aircraft is also doing the outbound?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

is there a fast track for security if flying Business class?
​​​
Unfortunately no. It is a single security lane for international transit pax.

There is NO air-side transit in Vietnam.
I don't know what's your definition of airside transit, but what we are talking here is an airside transit which clearly exist in Vietnam. Having to re-clear security does not mean you are landside. You are in the international transit zone and not in Vietnam soil.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:26 pm
Suspended

So hypothetical question.

What if I arrive on the inbound MH flight on a separate PNR & booked on the same return flight with another PNR, what happens then? Do I still need to do the whole transit thing despite the fact that the inbound aircraft is also doing the outbound?
Then you are not in transit, and you would definitely need to clear immigration. sin-sgn-kul is in transit while kul-sgn-kul is a visit.
Goldorak, From my previous experience, sgn is set up for twov only on a single ticket and airside connections on separate bookings are not possible. If it has changed it is definitely great news!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.