FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines-470/)
-   -   Quality of Air china Business class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-asian-australian-south-pacific-airlines/1832115-quality-air-china-business-class.html)

morelegroom Mar 27, 2017 6:05 pm

Quality of Air china Business class

I have never flown Air China but I have done lots of Tatl flights in United and Lufthansa. Can anyone compare the business class experience aof air china to these carriers?

The flights I have booked are IAD BJS and BJS VIE so one 777 and one airbus

djjaguar64 Mar 27, 2017 6:42 pm

You can do a search on Air China. Its a good airline in Business much better than UA. You cannot compare it with LH.

nanyang Mar 27, 2017 6:49 pm

Flew BKK-PEK-JFK a couple of months ago in J. Have only flown CA a few times.

They are fine. Perhaps some aspects are better than UA J. UA meals are better. IFE is also better on UA.

In my opinion, LH J is very weak as well - if that is the benchmark, then CA J should be more than fine.

TTC192Rocket Mar 27, 2017 7:08 pm

On a long-haul basis, I flew on the A343 in J from CDG-PVG once; the IFE movie selection was sparse, the food was fine, and the service was friendly/attentive enough. I don't remember anything from the flight, so take that as a positive or negative, depending on how you view these things.

On the short-haul flights (3 and 6 hours, respectively, on 738s, I felt taken care of, and being 1 of 2 passengers in J helped. :p). There wasn't any IFE that I can recall... it was a red-eye, though.

travelinmanS Mar 27, 2017 8:46 pm

Air China on the 777 should have the same seats that UA has on the 787 in business class and the same seats LH has on the A380. On the Airbus it will be a different, but I feel wider and more comfortable, lie flat seat.

Service will be better than UA or LH. Food will be OK but not great and entertainment will not be very good.

All in all I'd rather take CA than UA or LH.

TPJ Mar 28, 2017 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 28095268)
On the Airbus it will be a different, but I feel wider and more comfortable, lie flat seat.

On A330's it is the same product TK and LO have in their C.
​​​​​

Transpacificflyer Mar 29, 2017 8:25 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 (Post 28094886)
You can do a search on Air China. Its a good airline in Business much better than UA. You cannot compare it with LH.

I vehemently disagree. United may be a garbage airline, but Air China is worse. The F&B alone should convince anyone how awful and evil the airline is.
United does not ration alcohol like Air China and the food served on United while cheap and of low quality is partially edible unlike the mystery products served on Air China.

I requested a gin and tonic on one flight. It took 2 attempts to get the drink. I had to settle for a ginger ale. That's how poor the language skills are of the FAs. Incompetentcy and uselessness were the Air China FAs defining characteristics. My last B777 flight from PEK to BKK had an empty space where the IFE screen was supposed to be. What airline doesn't offer IFE on a 5+ hour flight in J? The lounge in PEK is pathetic.

Air China is without doubt one of the world's worst airlines. It has a well earned negative reputation for poor service and abandonment of pax during IROPS. Air China is best avoided.

moondog Mar 29, 2017 11:06 am

Originally Posted by morelegroom (Post 28094755)
I have never flown Air China but I have done lots of Tatl flights in United and Lufthansa. Can anyone compare the business class experience aof air china to these carriers?

The flights I have booked are IAD BJS and BJS VIE so one 777 and one airbus

Did you notice any of these threads?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...ess-class.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...777-300-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...air-china.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...-offering.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...periences.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ess-class.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...k-sfo-pek.html

TennisNoob Mar 29, 2017 1:04 pm

+1

LH J is nothing special so if i were to choose between the 3 I would take CA J. However I would avoid departing PEK only arriving into PEK.

djjaguar64 Mar 29, 2017 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer (Post 28101768)
I vehemently disagree. United may be a garbage airline, but Air China is worse. The F&B alone should convince anyone how awful and evil the airline is.
United does not ration alcohol like Air China and the food served on United while cheap and of low quality is partially edible unlike the mystery products served on Air China.

I requested a gin and tonic on one flight. It took 2 attempts to get the drink. I had to settle for a ginger ale. That's how poor the language skills are of the FAs. Incompetentcy and uselessness were the Air China FAs defining characteristics. My last B777 flight from PEK to BKK had an empty space where the IFE screen was supposed to be. What airline doesn't offer IFE on a 5+ hour flight in J? The lounge in PEK is pathetic.

Air China is without doubt one of the world's worst airlines. It has a well earned negative reputation for poor service and abandonment of pax during IROPS. Air China is best avoided.

My nephew and my dad who are both very picky took Air China J and had nothing to say except good things.
My dad is 80 so believe me if he does not like it he will complain

My nephew is a vodka drinker and he had no issues with refills.

Sounds like your experience may have been on China Airlines, instead of Air China. If i wanted to be served by grandmas I will then fly UA.

Transpacificflyer Mar 29, 2017 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 (Post 28103308)
My nephew and my dad who are both very picky took Air China J and had nothing to say except good things.
My dad is 80 so believe me if he does not like it he will complain

My nephew is a vodka drinker and he had no issues with refills.

Sounds like your experience may have been on China Airlines, instead of Air China. If i wanted to be served by grandmas I will then fly UA.

No. I confirm it was Air China, the bottom tier *A partner of AC that does not respect *A agreements on basic items like boarding passes and forces pax to go line up at a transit desk where an incompetent clerk takes 15 minutes to process a useless piece of paper. BTW, when there is EVA there is no need to fly China Airlines and its decrepit cabins.

I appreciate that in many Asian countries, airlines are able to discriminate based upon age, gender and physical attributes such as breast size, but I am alright with older FAs. I am more interested in personnel who will take care of me and know what they are doing than dithering anime types too busy doing their makeup to pay attention. I also try to engage in ethical purchasing habits and support airlines who are good corporate citizens.

I am not alone in my assessment as Air China consistently ranks at the bottom of traveler surveys, both directed and general. Although Skytrax isn't the most reliable, it does provide a general indication of consumer perceptions if one reads enough of the reviews. Air China is consistently blasted, savaged and disparaged. It gets away with whatever it wants to do because it is an extension of the state military corporate complex. Fortunately there are quality Chinese airlines like Hainan and China Southern as alternatives.

moondog Mar 29, 2017 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer (Post 28104762)
Fortunately there are quality Chinese airlines like Hainan and China Southern as alternatives.

Haha. Maybe you fell for the Skytrax bait, after all :D

Back on topic, I agree with those here who have opined that CA J is a notch above UA and LH J, and I'm a bit confused as to where the "bottom tier *A partner" bitterness comes from. I'd definitely put them in the top half, myself.

TennisNoob Mar 30, 2017 12:02 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64 (Post 28103308)

Recently I had an flight(on NH) where there were 3 Chief pursers in the forward cabins so it felt like All Nanny Airways.

Transpacificflyer Mar 30, 2017 3:07 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 28104874)
Haha. Maybe you fell for the Skytrax bait, after all :D

Back on topic, I agree with those here who have opined that CA J is a notch above UA and LH J, and I'm a bit confused as to where the "bottom tier *A partner" bitterness comes from. I'd definitely put them in the top half, myself.

Bottom tier in respect to the quality of the lounges, the treatment of connecting *A and code share pax, performance on IROPS, safety culture and general management.

I detest United, and dislike Lufthansa but I have experienced them all. Air China is in the same league as Air India and EgyptAir; airlines that should not have been allowed to join star alliance. If something goes wrong there is a chance of redress with United and Lufthansa. Air China like most Chinese companies ignores consumer complaints, especially if made by a foreigner. There are no airline passenger consumer protection regulations in China as there are in the EU or USA.

And no, I have not fallen for the Skytrax bait. It does however serve as a general confirmation of comments and complaints made in more focused air travel resources.

I invite you to experience the abysmal quality of both service and equipment on the Hong Kong and Bangkok routes to Beijing. Boarding free for all, and in PEK, the gate can change with no announcement made in a language other than Mandarin dialect. On board, one horrid Chinese red wine served warm, no meal options except a mystery fish glop in a mystery sauce, no iFE and a filthy cabin topped off with cabin crew that cannot communicate with the non Han Chinese customers in the J cabin.

Oh, and not to mention the fantastic lounge in PEK. Useless wifi access, disgusting food options, limited alcohol with it hidden at the unstaffed bar. One of my colleagues insist that they fill the name brand bottles of alcohol with cheap Chinese knock off versions. One wine available. Capped off by rude staff and toilets that often reek of raw sewage. I really enjoy the mystery television area. Perhaps its a homage to North Korea with its set up. Best of all is the dust in the lounge.

djjaguar64 Mar 30, 2017 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer (Post 28104762)
No. I confirm it was Air China, the bottom tier *A partner of AC that does not respect *A agreements on basic items like boarding passes and forces pax to go line up at a transit desk where an incompetent clerk takes 15 minutes to process a useless piece of paper. BTW, when there is EVA there is no need to fly China Airlines and its decrepit cabins.

I appreciate that in many Asian countries, airlines are able to discriminate based upon age, gender and physical attributes such as breast size, but I am alright with older FAs. I am more interested in personnel who will take care of me and know what they are doing than dithering anime types too busy doing their makeup to pay attention. I also try to engage in ethical purchasing habits and support airlines who are good corporate citizens.

I am not alone in my assessment as Air China consistently ranks at the bottom of traveler surveys, both directed and general. Although Skytrax isn't the most reliable, it does provide a general indication of consumer perceptions if one reads enough of the reviews. Air China is consistently blasted, savaged and disparaged. It gets away with whatever it wants to do because it is an extension of the state military corporate complex. Fortunately there are quality Chinese airlines like Hainan and China Southern as alternatives.

Ok, its unfortunate you had a bad experience. I suggest a new airline TRANSPACIFIC AIRWAYS. :p